Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking gone BAD!!!!!!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 30, 2006 1:41:10 AM

Greetings,
I must be born under a real bad star, my first build gave me a hell of frustration and all kinds of difficulties, and my first overclocking well... the damn pc won't even start.
Specs:
Pentium D 805
corsair xms ddr2 pc5400c4 1gig dual
Asus p5nd2-sli non deluxe
Scythe ninja + ac5+ifan
Antec p180 case( open )
seagate 600w
his x800 gto
During the overclock which did reach 4.05 on air unstable I was very careful NOT to reach above 1.53 v although reported voltage for this cpu I believe are higher and the temperature didn't jump above 64 under full load.
I did overvolt the chipset from 1.4 to 1.5 and was setting a fsb:D ram of 780:720 for the overclock, then monitor display went crazy and.. nothing.
Now I did have a problem with the ati card with a poor display ( lines and scrambling) that was solved after a sleepless night and hard disk reformating and reisnstallation of windows simply by changing the pcie slot ( luckily I had one in reserve) So I thought that this time it was again the graphic card , changing its place, moving it in its slot ( like before) didn't solve the problem this time. Clearing the cmos either.
Before I noticed that the led next to the reset button stayed on, now as soon as the system is powered on it disappears but the fans are spinning and the motherboard leds are on.
What can it be?
a corrupted bios?
a fried motherboard?
memory?
graphic card?
cpu?
Other?
all the above?
:(  I am really frustrated didn't get to enjoy my system yet that took me a long time of reading and preparation.
Any help, suggestion would be highly appreciated.
thanks

More about : overclocking bad

June 30, 2006 2:33:51 AM

Quote:

I did overvolt the chipset from 1.4 to 1.5 and was setting a fsb:D ram of 780:720 for the overclock, then monitor display went crazy and.. nothing.

Sounds like another Scooby Doo Mystery. If you haven't gone back to the simplest setup do so now. 1 stick ram, mobo,cpu,gpu,floppy,mouse,keyboard. Try to post. Swap the ram, vid card if you can..It's a good place to start.
June 30, 2006 2:35:20 AM

The first question i would ask is how long did you run the system before you started to overclock?

Did you verify everything was working correctly before trying to overclock?

Did you run system stabliby tests like Prime95 before you overclocked?
Related resources
June 30, 2006 2:41:00 AM

ahaha, 4.05 on air... tats jokes

u should try clocking it bit by bit... and leaving it running for at least 12 hours each time...
June 30, 2006 2:51:57 AM

@ TS Illusion:
tats jokes not sure what that means but if you doubt it look at the reviews it did reach 4.2 on air.
Now for clocking I wasn't patient I copy pasted others settings the only instance were it was prime 95 stabe was on 3.6 overnight no errors.
prime 95 double instances.

@Feller
yes I did

@jimytheassassin Unfortunately I only can use one ram as a beginning for a solution instead of two and see what happens, can't swap video card and see what happens, thanks for the suggestion.
June 30, 2006 3:27:18 AM

Some light perhaps,
I did use one mem stick and was changing different slots for it, without result but on one slot it did show the show the asus logo when I was giving up, but for a short duration then screen scrambling and out the screen was showing an out of range signal fot the video signal than no video signal.
any suggestion at this point could it be a defective ram?
June 30, 2006 4:15:14 AM

Oh man, do I have a story to share.

I remember when I had a GeForce 4 Ti400, and I overclocked it. Alot. It just started smoking and there was a spark, the distinct smell of burning silicon, and well, it rocked! Nothing is as cool as watching a spark fly out from a piece of hardware.
June 30, 2006 4:20:14 AM

@Grinch123456
well I have to repeat again that I am new at overclocking and building, first attempt that is, do I understand from your post that it is the video card that fried?( no silicon smell on my side) in that case why did i see the asus logo again although for a short while...
thanks
June 30, 2006 5:42:10 PM

Guess I will take my question elsewhere didn't find much help in here
June 30, 2006 5:46:16 PM

My dad had a 3,2GHz Intel 478 with the best Asus board at that time and for some days it did the same as your computer does. When you start it the screen doesn´t do anything, but the power led is turned on... Then nothing happeneds. Also this cannot be solved by a reset of the cmos, so I built my dad a new computer because it was kind of old with a 478 and AGP...
But I still have the old 3,2GHz at my home. Please tell me if you get yours working again.
My dads 3,2GHz wasn´t overclocked, but it happened although...
June 30, 2006 6:00:00 PM

thanks for replying falsterbo
(nice overclock)
I have been trying the following from a suggestion of one of the members in here:
I used one stick of ram instead of two, what it does is it allows the computer to post and I could nearly enter into bios and at this precise moment the scree n scrambles and goes out indicating no video signal. If I put back 2 sticks nothing happens, I tried this with the 2 sticks separately on different slots, it gives me at least a screen first:the asus logo and that's it, so this tells me I THINK and that's why I am asking in this forum so at least I would have some hint from an experienced user in the hardware arena, that the cpu could be OK, what I am not sure of are the memories and the video card, what boggles me is how come I do have a post if either is defective? really new at this stuff
June 30, 2006 6:08:49 PM

got a ram problem, try finding another stick of ram to try and boot up with.
June 30, 2006 6:15:02 PM

thanks HYST3R
Problem is i am in the middle of nowhere in here very hard to find ddr2 memories for me right now, the ram on this computer do not fit in my new built, could these memories be exchanged by the manufacturer?
June 30, 2006 6:16:52 PM

By Clearing the CMOS do you mean you pulled the battery and let it sit for a while? Or did you pull the battery and short the circuit (with a jumper usualy).

I can't remember how exactly the ASUS boot process goes off the top of my head (as far as what it displays on screen), so can you see any other computer information before the screen goes nuts? My comp's bios displays my processor FSB and multiplyer immidiately at power on, so if you can see something similar, you might be able to figure out if the CMOS properly cleared or not. I've had problems before where removing the battery and applying the jumper failed to completely clear my CMOS. I had to do it several times.

If it has cleared, I would think it might be your motherboard, although my reasoning behind it isnt really all that strong. You said that you had problems with your VC on one of the PCIe busses, and then theres the issues with it behaving differently depending on what type of RAM you put in.

Like I said, may not be the most helpful, but somewhere to look if you havent already and are still stuck.
June 30, 2006 6:29:35 PM

Thanks Kornyman
I thouroughly cleared the cmos by removing the battery and shorting the circuit for a while too, when the asus logo is shown it is a good indication that the default settings are back since I did disable it in my settings each time.
I didn't think of the motherboad as a culprit till now, may be because overvolting the chipset?
True if you put one ram instead of two it posts, if I try to enter the bios, the screen freezes, scrambles and messages of out of range signal in hz or mhz appears, too quick to read, once or many times, then a no video signal message after it and that's it.
June 30, 2006 6:31:22 PM

So, you're new to overclocking, haven't built more than a single machine, have no spare parts at all and basically no clue what you're doing? Woohoo! You rock! :roll:

Clear the cmos, put the cover back on and if you get it running leave it alone and be happy it didn't go up in smoke. :wink:

See if you can boot from a CD or floppy and if you can, flash the bios and see if it will fix it. If not, nice job, you've torched your first machine. Way to go. :lol: 
June 30, 2006 6:45:02 PM

well I am sure I am not the first and surely not the last, and you do learn by doing at least that works for me, funny thing is I was very careful with the voltage guidelines and temperatures.
No clue what i am doing is not exactely precise, perhaps if I measure what I know to your kind of knowledge standards may be that would be true,but for the common layman out there, I believe I do have at least the very basic of the basics enough that let me build a machine and overclock it like millions of others who had to begin somewhere.
i will follow your suggestion and try to boot from the windows cd, if it does as you say, the next step will be to flash the bios? I already did that as I already posted, would it change the situation if I knew I could boot from a cd or floppy?
June 30, 2006 6:52:23 PM

Did you say you've flashed the bios? If you have....meaning you've reprogramed the bios.... then being able to boot from a CD or floppy probably won't help you. If you can't get into your bios, and can't boot from the OS then there's not much left to do except to try to flash the bios and then reload the OS.
June 30, 2006 6:57:47 PM

Or get into town and give the machine to a proffessional who knows what he's talking about to localize for me what piece of hardware is defective so I can change it.
June 30, 2006 7:07:16 PM

Since you obviously have another computer, then get the latest bios from the manufacturer and flash it, then reload the OS.
June 30, 2006 7:11:14 PM

thanks I will try that , I am now reading how to correctly flash the bios
June 30, 2006 7:42:28 PM

Did you lock your pci express bus before overclocking? Wait. no prob not because that's why your vid card is f-ed up. Pull bios battery for like 10 min and then hold insert while you try to restart. Also, no need to increase volt on chipset, and intel's don't do good on ddr2 with that divider, at least not the dualcores. better ram would help but rams not the problem now is it.
June 30, 2006 7:51:25 PM

Quote:
I try to enter the bios, the screen freezes, scrambles and messages of out of range signal in hz or mhz appears, too quick to read, once or many times, then a no video signal message after it and that's it.

So can you boot then if you don't try and enter the BIOS?
June 30, 2006 7:56:50 PM

Quote:

Sounds like another Scooby Doo Mystery. If you haven't gone back to the simplest setup do so now. 1 stick ram, mobo,cpu,gpu,floppy,mouse,keyboard. Try to post. Swap the ram, vid card if you can..It's a good place to start.

As a continuation of this, try to exchange one of eahc pieces of the hardware with something you know to be good. IF you are using an LCD monitor, switch to a CRT if you have one. Use another VC if at all possible. Since its your first build you probably don't have a lot of spare parts lying around, but do what you can. You never know when you might stumble upon the cuplrit hardware.

A few summers ago I was working with a guy who had just purchased a new computer from tiger direct. He put everything together and couldnt get anything to work. Basically we had it narrowed down to the Mobo or the proc. Fortunately we had another proc that was compatible with the socket, so we tried it out and voila. He rma'd the mobo, installed the replacement when he got it back and everything was good to go.
June 30, 2006 8:14:39 PM

>>Sounds like another Scooby Doo Mystery.<<

ROFLMFAO!
June 30, 2006 8:28:02 PM

A new thing just happened:
I went on to disconnect the ide drive and remove the sound card so I was on one ram, floppy, sata and vid card unfortuantely i don't have an integrated graphics so I have to rely on this one.
I did actually BOOT into windows it was the default bios, so the cmos cleared alright, again for a short while and it did exactely like before and the video signal was out, so I tried like before to change the VC to the other pcie slot the one I know was causing me problems before just to see and nothing happened I put the vc back in the second pcie slot and I could have the asus logo again but not a boot into windows.
Since I did boot into windows does this mean that the bios is not corrupted?
and thus I don't need to flash it?
Answers:

@sadsephiroth unless it changes by itself with the overclock, in the bios the Pcie was at 100, never changed by myself at least.

@Kornyman following your advices as I said I could boot into windows what does exclude as a cause? somehow I have the feeling it is the vid card but can't be sure since i don't have the knowledge to diagnose correctly.
June 30, 2006 8:32:04 PM

Your Asus motherboard should have a bios recovery tool.... Crash free bios 2. Maybe try reading up on that.

I really don't think that you should be trying to overclock this much on your first build, my current rig is my 4th computer that I've built (for myself, I've built around 10 for others as well) and it's the first time I've done overclocking myself.

A lot of general stability issues can be because of the PSU, you have enough watts on yours but with the power draw of the cpu, up to 250w by itself, and the voltage increases a bad psu can be at fault. I've never heard of seagate making psu's before so I can't comment on their reliability.

Even if it's possible to get to 4ghz and over I would suggest that you not do it, 3.6 is probably what you want to shoot for.
June 30, 2006 8:37:39 PM

Quote:
thanks for replying falsterbo
(nice overclock)
I have been trying the following from a suggestion of one of the members in here:
I used one stick of ram instead of two, what it does is it allows the computer to post and I could nearly enter into bios and at this precise moment the scree n scrambles and goes out indicating no video signal. If I put back 2 sticks nothing happens, I tried this with the 2 sticks separately on different slots, it gives me at least a screen first:the asus logo and that's it, so this tells me I THINK and that's why I am asking in this forum so at least I would have some hint from an experienced user in the hardware arena, that the cpu could be OK, what I am not sure of are the memories and the video card, what boggles me is how come I do have a post if either is defective? really new at this stuff

Chom,

You mentioned you had set your CPU voltage (and other voltages too?) at higher levels. Try and go into the bios and put the voltages back at default. That Pentium 805 should clock to close to 3.6 without doing anything at all to the voltages. Are you familiar with RMA under MFG warranty? Good luck.
June 30, 2006 8:41:46 PM

Bios is probably fine then.. it's starting to seem like that funky pci-e slot is your problem. Perhaps as you've tested , that slot is fubar..and was damaged during your OC. But, if you can get into windows I'd immediately start running benches of your hardware to test for errors and other causes for instability.. hopefully a defunct pci–e slot is your only worry. Then you could atleast deal with it. or buy a new mobo
June 30, 2006 8:52:30 PM

@waylander crash free bios 2 is supposed to get me back into the default bios after i press the reset button it works in most of the cases but I did need to clear the cmos on some. A 3.6 ghz is very reasonable and it will be what I will settle for if everything is fixed but I was taken by the joy of overclocking to know the extent of the machine because there is this "what if" in the back of you mind that eventually plays tricks on you or not if your lucky, knowledgable or both. the seagate got excellent approval from many reviewers as a very good psu, the voltage meters where steady all the time.
thanks
@badge the settings are at default when I booted into windows again just a moment ago and yes I had a 3.6 overclock stable WITHOUT any voltage increase with this cpu and this is what I will settle for when the problem is fixed. Good question: no I didn't do any RMAs but I have the feeling that eventually I will soon, any particular recommendation?Thanks

By having the pcie frequency at 100 in the bios does this lock or extra measures should be taken?
In case the vid card is the reason, any recommendation for an inexpensive but decent card, pcie, that could be play an acceptable dvd playback, since I am not into gaming. Thanks
June 30, 2006 8:56:43 PM

@jimmytheassassin
So to be sure I am left with the vid card and the mobo If i test the vid card separately at a proffessional and it is ok than it would be the mobo can it be returned in this case? for the card I have to buy a new one if it is defective I bought on ebay "slightly used" a mistake I would never repeat.
Thanks
June 30, 2006 9:04:39 PM

>>no I didn't do any RMAs but I have the feeling that eventually I will soon, any particular recommendation?Thanks<<

if your Pentium processor needs to be RMA'd, the first thing Intel does is check to see if your processor qualifies for a replacement. If you bought a retail box recently, your processor will qualify for replacement. Instructions for going on line and starting the RMA proces should be on the documentation that came with the procesor. My experience with Intel RMA's has been if you keep sending emails and reminding them once they receive your returned processor, they will return you a new processor in a matter of weeks. As far as RMAing a video card, if you bought it at Newegg I have RMADs video cards back to them after 7 months from purchase and received a full refund. MB's the same. I have RMA's to Gigabyte and MSI and both companys sent me a replacement board within weeks. If your ASUS board is a new model you may get lucky and get a brand new board. You'll likely get a refurbished board. Generally, all this can be done on line. Call the company's customer servie you RMA to if they are taking to long to send you you replacements
June 30, 2006 9:18:36 PM

@ badge Thanks, so follow the procedure and be persistent in case, for RMAs
and will wait weeks as a usual timing like getting your rebate my own experience never got a rebate unless you call except with antec who will NEVER answer you or respond to your emails even though everything you did is in order.
July 1, 2006 12:05:48 AM

So, you're going to RMA devices that you have overclocked and possibly distroyed, driving up the cost for all other consumers. WooHoo!

Forgive me for being cynical, but this is why I think far too many people think overclocking is just normal and should be as easy as pushing the escape button...and it's perpetuated by goons on forums who feed the frenzy, spouting off wrong information like they just wrote a thesis on the subject...

...But, I digress. Good luck getting your machine to work. I hope it works out for you.
July 1, 2006 4:59:39 AM

So Pain,
What exactely was your constructive input from the messages I read from you? the only " helpful" suggestions you gave me were at best irrelevant.
The other "input" is exactely like your nickname: a pain, and is it that what you need to get noticed? inflicting cynisim and critcism on the hopeless and stupid goons of the forum, so you get them back on the"righteous" path and the "correct" way of doing things ?
I only asked in the forum precise questions about getting real help and practical suggestions I could use. I have no use to your philosophical views in life.
That said, thank you, for wishing me luck.
July 1, 2006 5:42:30 AM

One thing that has happened to me is that my motherboard wasn't correctly installed and touched the back of my case creating a short circuit, creating erratic behaviour not unlike yours. might want to check that out.
July 1, 2006 6:06:03 AM

Yes, and I believe the mobos made for OCing and that isn't technically voiding warranty..they're designed to do this and with it in mind. The parts are what's being manipulated outside original design, cpu,gpu,ram. Chom, just check the warranty on the board, it should state what damages are covered, what is not. You can try to RMA even if it isn't and claim negligence..maybe it'll work. Driving costs up is hardly a concern..they charged the consumers before they made the board, not when they make new ones, it's expected to accept loss in business, and re-coup ahead of time. It will take a while say 6 weeks or more typically. Before that though, do anything you can to avoid it and test it if you can with a pro.
July 1, 2006 6:10:10 AM

@ Jp zero
I was reading a review from tbreak about this motherboard and they had this issue:
quote:

"Stability

While we usually have nothing to complain about ASUS boards, unfortunately, the same cant be said about the P5ND2-SLI unit that we received. Using our standard testbed equipment, which consists of a 6800GT card, we ran into a problem with the primary PCI-E x16 slot. While it worked, any 3D application would make the system crawl and post about half of the score it normally would.

The only “solution” we could find was switching the 6800GT card to the secondary PCI-E x16 slot and have the SLI card set to “dual cards” mode. If set to “single card” mode, the performance was about 10% lower, but when set at dual mode, the performance would be on par with the rest of the nForce4 motherboards.

We figured the problem might lie with the primary PCI-E x16 slot as the card works flawlessly in the secondary slot. Now here’s the funny bit- putting an ATI X800XL card in the primary x16 slot caused NO issues whatsoever. We’re a bit confused on this one because if the problem was with the primary x16 slot, the ATI card would also show the performance drop. If the problem was with the drivers or the 6800GT card, we wouldn’t get the right scores when plugged into the secondary x16 slot. There seems to be some kind on incompatibility somewhere and unfortunately a BIOS update from ASUS didn’t solve the problem either. " end of quote

Now I had a problem with the pcie slot before any overclocking I thought at first it was the VC but then I tried to put the card on the second pcie slot and it worked well untill i overclocked.Today I tried the switching to dual card mode like they did, I could reboot into windows on BOTH slots which I couldn't do before unfortunately for a short while, I am nearly certain now it is a problem in the pcie slots.
Thanks
July 1, 2006 6:30:40 AM

@jimytheassassin
Thanks for the suggestion, I checked the asus policy:
http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx?no=201&SLang...
It voids warranties mainly with physical damage to the board like bending, breaking burning shorting scratching soldering, on the other hand they EXPECT you to overclock by providing all kind of possibilities (within margins) in the bios, overcloking programs, crash free utilities and other selling points
I definetly going to RMA the board, if it goes well, fine. If not I will buy another one preferably without pcie issues :wink: I am not stopping at that point.
July 1, 2006 7:17:08 AM

That's interesting,
On the download page of the motherboard from asus

Beta Version 0601 2006/03/15 update
OS DOS
Description P5ND2-SLI Beta BIOS 0601
Latest beta BIOS.
File Size 463.02 (KBytes)
Download from Global USA Europe China

Version 0501 2006/01/05 update
OS All
Description P5ND2-SLI Release BIOS 0501
Patch USB detection issue.
Patch PCI-VGA card display issue.

I upgraded the bios to the Beta version and I do recall the pcie slot went acting funny since, could a downgrade to the previous bios be done with my
current problem be done? I only used the asus update utility from within windows very easy to use, unusable with the current problem. May be it is a solution, since as mentioned the 0501 bios did patch the pci-vga card display issue?
July 1, 2006 12:34:00 PM

Flashing the bios should be a skill you have, so if you feel it is irrelevant, so be it. I see a lot of other input in this thread that may also be irrelevant to your particular situation, but without sitting there beside you there isn't much else to do but give suggestions. And yes, put the bios back to the official release. I think you can ressurect this machine, but the first thing you should do is put it back to how it was when you first built it, when it was working, and start over, and if that means flashing the bios back to an official [not beta] release that do it.

If you're going to pursue that type of experimentation, you'd be much better off to have spare parts handy or perhaps you should get some old computers out of dumpsters for your lab experiments and gain some experience for yourself before you start on your new hardware, and then RMA parts because you can't figure out if it's bad or not.

As for the motherboards being manufactured to overclock, that is very true. But, overclocking is not a sure thing. It varies from chip to chip, and board to board. What I may be able to do with a chip does not necessarily translate to any other chip. These things need to be understood. Yes, you gain that knowledge from experimenting, but if you don't have the understanding of the process before you start, then don't start. Read up on the subject thouroughly before you start.

Now, put that machine back to the way it was when you first built it. You must remove all the variables and then start over, because you can't troubleshoot by changing 3 things at a time.
July 1, 2006 3:56:54 PM

Flashing the bios was irrelevant THEN when you suggested it since the main concern at that point was to figure out if bios was the culprit, and since it WASN'T because I could post, go into it and change settings again and boot into windows it turned out it WAS IRRELEVANT yes,so flashing it when you suggested it was for the WRONG reason, now the good reason which I discovered by myself, by READING,which I ALWAYS do, is to revert to the non beta version, and yes I know that beta means possible unstability, BEFORE your lecture,since it pointed to patching display problems,I am considering reverting to the older version, if it didn't, I wouldn't even bother.NOW I will go into learning this new skill since NOW I need it, again you learn by doing, step by step, you can't learn or know everything at once, you begin, you experiment with what you have available,to the extent of your own possibilities,you stumble, you ask,hoping to find a helpful non-lecturer non-moralist and practical person who wouldn't look down at you simply because you don't know as much as he or she does.
July 1, 2006 4:29:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kornyman
if I try to enter the bios, the screen freezes, scrambles and messages of out of range signal in hz or mhz appears, too quick to read, once or many times, then a no video signal message after it and that's it.

That is what you said. I then said flash the bios.

Quote:
Did you say you've flashed the bios? If you have....meaning you've reprogramed the bios.... then being able to boot from a CD or floppy probably won't help you. If you can't get into your bios, and can't boot from the OS then there's not much left to do except to try to flash the bios and then reload the OS.

You might think it was irrelevant, but at the time, it was not. And, it seems it still is relevant, to get the machine back to the way is was when it was working, so that is what I suggest you do.

Good luck.
July 1, 2006 4:45:21 PM

I am glad I didn't go ahead and flah it since I did the simpler and what seemed more logical which was upon listening to the advice of other members to try and run the set with the bare minimum"by changing 3 things at a time" which I did.After that, the display problem appeared AFTER I could boot into windows for a short while indicating to me that the not flashing the bios was a good choice since it wasn't corrupted.What I learned from that? DON'T flash the bios as a first step try simpler and potentially safer things first.
July 1, 2006 4:47:23 PM

I would hope that most knowledgable overclockers like myself assume the risk involved. I would never RMA a part that I destroyed by overclocking or modifying, that is just wrong on so many levels.
CHOM had no buisiness shooting for the moon on his first attempt, it seems he did little or no reading on the subject, he simply skipped straight to the results.
Gotta put on your parachute before you jump from the plane too.
July 1, 2006 5:13:28 PM

@Masterlee
Anoter lecturer! this discussion seems to be turning into a philosophical theses.
what business is it of yours what I do or don't do with my machine, I fully understand the risks of overclocking and I fully assume the consequences involved. I was going to RMA because the motherboard because I believe that there is a problem with the pcie slots already manifested BEFORE any overclock if you read the whole thread before jumping to your displaced conclusions, that COULD be fixed by reverting to the non beta bios, it remains to be seen, so maybe no RMA is needed. If that doesn't help I am going to RMA after that, wether you like it or not, it is my business to do so not yours,if the RMA is refused, I will simply buy another motherboard.
Please refrain from posting wise comments I didnt' ask for and never will.
I am addressing my concerns and questions to people who address practically the problem WITHOUT judging and lecturing about it, I don't need that, wonder if anybody does. You can keep it for yourself.
July 1, 2006 5:21:51 PM

I'm glad you think not flashing your bios was a good idea and saved you work. I would like to point out to you that your machine, through your own admission had troubles before you attempted to overclock. You said as much just just now.

Quote:

I was going to RMA because the motherboard because I believe that there is a problem with the pcie slots already manifested BEFORE any overclock if you read the whole thread before jumping to your displaced conclusions, that COULD be fixed by reverting to the non beta bios, it remains to be seen, so maybe no RMA is needed.

So, you went ahead and overclocked, and now you have no idea what cause what problem, and when, do you? No, you don't.

So, you can ignore this lecture all you like, but I'll give it anyway. Put it back to the way it was when you first built the machine and start over. I should have said that in more clear terms the first time I posted, but I incorrectly assumed you would understand that is what I meant. My bad.
July 1, 2006 5:57:49 PM

Pain pain pain,
You are much 'thanked' for your advices but frankly they didn't do me any good,
the machine WAS set to the original setting a long time ago, now if you please leave me be, I am trying to learn how to flash a bios, you weren't understood by me as you put it simply because I didn't want to consider it any more so do yourself and me a favor and go spread your knowledge and 'help" in another thread and save yourself the "pain"of lecturing me, because I won't
listen and it is my choice. It is a free world.
July 1, 2006 6:10:14 PM

If you won't listen and don't care what I say, then why are you wasting your time replying to me? I personally am enjoying pointing out your mistakes. It gives me great pleasure.

Now, while you're not listening to me, I'll just recap some of the things you have learned in this thread:

Someone asked if you ensured you had a stable machine before you began overclocking. You said yes. You lied. You should always make sure you have a stable machine before you begin any overclock. Once you have, start in small steps and then do thorough tests at each step to ensure the overclock is stable. You had no baseline, because your machine wasn't stable to begin with so you don't know if overclocking broke it or if it was broken already.

It's probably a good idea when you get a new board to check the bios level and make sure it is either at the latest level, or to read the release notes of the versions to see if you want or need to upgrade. This wasn't explained to you in this thread, but for future reference, keep it in mind. After you determine what bios level it had, before you flashed to the beta version, then you can see if it was the last official release, or you can read the release notes of any newer release to see what they did. This won't help you now, but since you want to learn, keep it in mind for the next time.
July 1, 2006 6:36:17 PM

Quote:
If you won't listen and don't care what I say, then why are you wasting your time replying to me? I personally am enjoying pointing out your mistakes. It gives me great pleasure.

I earlier pointed it out :

"The other "input" is exactely like your nickname: a pain, and is it that what you need to get noticed? inflicting cynisim and critcism on the hopeless and stupid goons of the forum, so you get them back on the"righteous" path and the "correct" way of doing things ? "

But I did forgot to add that you probably have some sadistic tendency that you draw "great pleasure" from in criticizing and lecturing and looking down at others, probably some upbringing problem who knows .

Prabably also this motto of yours

"Mother was wrong, there really are stupid questions."

Doesnt help much in pleading your case.

But need not worry, wasting my time replying to you? won't happen any more , because indeed it is. A waste of time that is. That will be my last and final response to you.
!