Overclocking gone BAD!!!!!!!!

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Greetings,
I must be born under a real bad star, my first build gave me a hell of frustration and all kinds of difficulties, and my first overclocking well... the damn pc won't even start.
Specs:
Pentium D 805
corsair xms ddr2 pc5400c4 1gig dual
Asus p5nd2-sli non deluxe
Scythe ninja + ac5+ifan
Antec p180 case( open )
seagate 600w
his x800 gto
During the overclock which did reach 4.05 on air unstable I was very careful NOT to reach above 1.53 v although reported voltage for this cpu I believe are higher and the temperature didn't jump above 64 under full load.
I did overvolt the chipset from 1.4 to 1.5 and was setting a fsb:dram of 780:720 for the overclock, then monitor display went crazy and.. nothing.
Now I did have a problem with the ati card with a poor display ( lines and scrambling) that was solved after a sleepless night and hard disk reformating and reisnstallation of windows simply by changing the pcie slot ( luckily I had one in reserve) So I thought that this time it was again the graphic card , changing its place, moving it in its slot ( like before) didn't solve the problem this time. Clearing the cmos either.
Before I noticed that the led next to the reset button stayed on, now as soon as the system is powered on it disappears but the fans are spinning and the motherboard leds are on.
What can it be?
a corrupted bios?
a fried motherboard?
memory?
graphic card?
cpu?
Other?
all the above?
:( I am really frustrated didn't get to enjoy my system yet that took me a long time of reading and preparation.
Any help, suggestion would be highly appreciated.
thanks

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I did overvolt the chipset from 1.4 to 1.5 and was setting a fsb:dram of 780:720 for the overclock, then monitor display went crazy and.. nothing.
Sounds like another Scooby Doo Mystery. If you haven't gone back to the simplest setup do so now. 1 stick ram, mobo,cpu,gpu,floppy,mouse,keyboard. Try to post. Swap the ram, vid card if you can..It's a good place to start.

-Feller-

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
The first question i would ask is how long did you run the system before you started to overclock?

Did you verify everything was working correctly before trying to overclock?

Did you run system stabliby tests like Prime95 before you overclocked?

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
@ TS Illusion:
tats jokes not sure what that means but if you doubt it look at the reviews it did reach 4.2 on air.
Now for clocking I wasn't patient I copy pasted others settings the only instance were it was prime 95 stabe was on 3.6 overnight no errors.
prime 95 double instances.

@Feller
yes I did

@jimytheassassin Unfortunately I only can use one ram as a beginning for a solution instead of two and see what happens, can't swap video card and see what happens, thanks for the suggestion.

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Some light perhaps,
I did use one mem stick and was changing different slots for it, without result but on one slot it did show the show the asus logo when I was giving up, but for a short duration then screen scrambling and out the screen was showing an out of range signal fot the video signal than no video signal.
any suggestion at this point could it be a defective ram?

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Oh man, do I have a story to share.

I remember when I had a GeForce 4 Ti400, and I overclocked it. Alot. It just started smoking and there was a spark, the distinct smell of burning silicon, and well, it rocked! Nothing is as cool as watching a spark fly out from a piece of hardware.

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
@Grinch123456
well I have to repeat again that I am new at overclocking and building, first attempt that is, do I understand from your post that it is the video card that fried?( no silicon smell on my side) in that case why did i see the asus logo again although for a short while...
thanks

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
My dad had a 3,2GHz Intel 478 with the best Asus board at that time and for some days it did the same as your computer does. When you start it the screen doesn´t do anything, but the power led is turned on... Then nothing happeneds. Also this cannot be solved by a reset of the cmos, so I built my dad a new computer because it was kind of old with a 478 and AGP...
But I still have the old 3,2GHz at my home. Please tell me if you get yours working again.
My dads 3,2GHz wasn´t overclocked, but it happened although...

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
thanks for replying falsterbo
(nice overclock)
I have been trying the following from a suggestion of one of the members in here:
I used one stick of ram instead of two, what it does is it allows the computer to post and I could nearly enter into bios and at this precise moment the scree n scrambles and goes out indicating no video signal. If I put back 2 sticks nothing happens, I tried this with the 2 sticks separately on different slots, it gives me at least a screen first:the asus logo and that's it, so this tells me I THINK and that's why I am asking in this forum so at least I would have some hint from an experienced user in the hardware arena, that the cpu could be OK, what I am not sure of are the memories and the video card, what boggles me is how come I do have a post if either is defective? really new at this stuff

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
thanks HYST3R
Problem is i am in the middle of nowhere in here very hard to find ddr2 memories for me right now, the ram on this computer do not fit in my new built, could these memories be exchanged by the manufacturer?

kornyman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
By Clearing the CMOS do you mean you pulled the battery and let it sit for a while? Or did you pull the battery and short the circuit (with a jumper usualy).

I can't remember how exactly the ASUS boot process goes off the top of my head (as far as what it displays on screen), so can you see any other computer information before the screen goes nuts? My comp's bios displays my processor FSB and multiplyer immidiately at power on, so if you can see something similar, you might be able to figure out if the CMOS properly cleared or not. I've had problems before where removing the battery and applying the jumper failed to completely clear my CMOS. I had to do it several times.

If it has cleared, I would think it might be your motherboard, although my reasoning behind it isnt really all that strong. You said that you had problems with your VC on one of the PCIe busses, and then theres the issues with it behaving differently depending on what type of RAM you put in.

Like I said, may not be the most helpful, but somewhere to look if you havent already and are still stuck.

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Thanks Kornyman
I thouroughly cleared the cmos by removing the battery and shorting the circuit for a while too, when the asus logo is shown it is a good indication that the default settings are back since I did disable it in my settings each time.
I didn't think of the motherboad as a culprit till now, may be because overvolting the chipset?
True if you put one ram instead of two it posts, if I try to enter the bios, the screen freezes, scrambles and messages of out of range signal in hz or mhz appears, too quick to read, once or many times, then a no video signal message after it and that's it.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
So, you're new to overclocking, haven't built more than a single machine, have no spare parts at all and basically no clue what you're doing? Woohoo! You rock! :roll:

Clear the cmos, put the cover back on and if you get it running leave it alone and be happy it didn't go up in smoke. :wink:

See if you can boot from a CD or floppy and if you can, flash the bios and see if it will fix it. If not, nice job, you've torched your first machine. Way to go. :lol:

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
well I am sure I am not the first and surely not the last, and you do learn by doing at least that works for me, funny thing is I was very careful with the voltage guidelines and temperatures.
No clue what i am doing is not exactely precise, perhaps if I measure what I know to your kind of knowledge standards may be that would be true,but for the common layman out there, I believe I do have at least the very basic of the basics enough that let me build a machine and overclock it like millions of others who had to begin somewhere.
i will follow your suggestion and try to boot from the windows cd, if it does as you say, the next step will be to flash the bios? I already did that as I already posted, would it change the situation if I knew I could boot from a cd or floppy?

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Did you say you've flashed the bios? If you have....meaning you've reprogramed the bios.... then being able to boot from a CD or floppy probably won't help you. If you can't get into your bios, and can't boot from the OS then there's not much left to do except to try to flash the bios and then reload the OS.

chom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Or get into town and give the machine to a proffessional who knows what he's talking about to localize for me what piece of hardware is defective so I can change it.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Since you obviously have another computer, then get the latest bios from the manufacturer and flash it, then reload the OS.

sadsephiroth

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Did you lock your pci express bus before overclocking? Wait. no prob not because that's why your vid card is f-ed up. Pull bios battery for like 10 min and then hold insert while you try to restart. Also, no need to increase volt on chipset, and intel's don't do good on ddr2 with that divider, at least not the dualcores. better ram would help but rams not the problem now is it.

kornyman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I try to enter the bios, the screen freezes, scrambles and messages of out of range signal in hz or mhz appears, too quick to read, once or many times, then a no video signal message after it and that's it.

So can you boot then if you don't try and enter the BIOS?

kornyman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Sounds like another Scooby Doo Mystery. If you haven't gone back to the simplest setup do so now. 1 stick ram, mobo,cpu,gpu,floppy,mouse,keyboard. Try to post. Swap the ram, vid card if you can..It's a good place to start.

As a continuation of this, try to exchange one of eahc pieces of the hardware with something you know to be good. IF you are using an LCD monitor, switch to a CRT if you have one. Use another VC if at all possible. Since its your first build you probably don't have a lot of spare parts lying around, but do what you can. You never know when you might stumble upon the cuplrit hardware.

A few summers ago I was working with a guy who had just purchased a new computer from tiger direct. He put everything together and couldnt get anything to work. Basically we had it narrowed down to the Mobo or the proc. Fortunately we had another proc that was compatible with the socket, so we tried it out and voila. He rma'd the mobo, installed the replacement when he got it back and everything was good to go.