Problems installing additional domain controller

I just tried adding an additional 2000 dc (SP4 with all latest updates) to a
mixed mode 2000/NT domain. I installed DNS, and configured it according to
KB article 237675 (including enabling dynamic updates). It didnt have the
msdcs and etc. folders since I didnt have AD on it yet. but it did have a few
entries for itself. That I believe is normal.

For this, lets say that the first dc has an IP of 1.1.1.1 (which it
doesn't...this is just an example). The additional one I am trying to add is
1.1.1.2.

I had itself as the primary DNS server, and the other 2000 dc as the
secondary. So the primary dns setting under the TCP/IP settings was 1.1.1.2
and the secondary was 1.1.1.1. When I ran dcpromo, it gave me an error after
entering the credentials for the domain. The error is at the following web
address... http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=5171

So I switched the primary DNS settings around in the TCP/IP settings.
Primary was 1.1.1.1 and secondary was 1.1.1.2. This got rid of the error.
Active Directory continued to install and it said it did so successfully.

I rebooted the additional dc and when it came back up, I went into the DNS
snap-in and DNS is unavailable (the server name has a red x over it and I
can't do anything with it). I tried typing net share at the command prompt
and the sysvol share does not appear. Also, not all the users are there when
I view AD Users and Computers for the additional dc. Something went
wrong...but what? I followed the directions in articles 237675 and 238369.

I checked on the first dc and the only thing I see in the event log is a KCC
warning and it lists the additional DC in it.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a
million in advance!

Hi

I think you sort of got things backwards.

1. Point both DC's to the original DC as the preferred DNS server and don't
set an alternate for the time being.

2. Uninstall DNS from the new DC.

3. Confirm that both DC's are registered in DNS on the original DC.

4. Ensure that the zone for your internal name space is AD-Integrated with
dynamic updates set to secure.

5. Re-install the DNS service on the new DC.

6. Check DNS is correct on the new DC.

7. Point the original DC to the new DC as preferred DNS server and itself as
alternate.

8. Point the new DC to the original DC as preferred DNS server and itself as
alternate.

HTH
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"TemporarilyConfused" <TemporarilyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:1B99B4B2-913A-4DD0-B7E7-4274EE726B79@microsoft.com...
>I just tried adding an additional 2000 dc (SP4 with all latest updates) to
> mixed mode 2000/NT domain. I installed DNS, and configured it according
> KB article 237675 (including enabling dynamic updates). It didnt have the
> msdcs and etc. folders since I didnt have AD on it yet. but it did have a
> few
> entries for itself. That I believe is normal.
>
> For this, lets say that the first dc has an IP of 1.1.1.1 (which it
> doesn't...this is just an example). The additional one I am trying to add
> is
> 1.1.1.2.
>
> I had itself as the primary DNS server, and the other 2000 dc as the
> secondary. So the primary dns setting under the TCP/IP settings was
> 1.1.1.2
> and the secondary was 1.1.1.1. When I ran dcpromo, it gave me an error
> after
> entering the credentials for the domain. The error is at the following
> web
> address... http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=5171
>
> So I switched the primary DNS settings around in the TCP/IP settings.
> Primary was 1.1.1.1 and secondary was 1.1.1.2. This got rid of the error.
> Active Directory continued to install and it said it did so successfully.
>
> I rebooted the additional dc and when it came back up, I went into the DNS
> snap-in and DNS is unavailable (the server name has a red x over it and I
> can't do anything with it). I tried typing net share at the command
> prompt
> and the sysvol share does not appear. Also, not all the users are there
> when
> I view AD Users and Computers for the additional dc. Something went
> wrong...but what? I followed the directions in articles 237675 and
> 238369.
>
> I checked on the first dc and the only thing I see in the event log is a
> KCC
> warning and it lists the additional DC in it.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, they would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
> million in advance!

I tried what you suggested through step 5. However even after I reinstalled
DNS it still wont connect to it in the snap in. I dont have the options for
New Zone, Set Aging for all zones, Scavenge stale resouce records, update
server data files, and clear cache. All those are greyed out, as before.
Everything below that when you right click on the server name is available.
This is how it was acting before. When I left click on the server name, it
tells me that it canno contact the dns server in the right pane.

When I installed AD, I was pointing the primary dns on this server to the
original dc, and the secondary dns was itself.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > Active Directory continued to install and it said it did so successfully.
> >
> > I rebooted the additional dc and when it came back up, I went into the DNS
> > snap-in and DNS is unavailable (the server name has a red x over it and I
> > can't do anything with it). I tried typing net share at the command
> > prompt
> > and the sysvol share does not appear. Also, not all the users are there
> > when
> > I view AD Users and Computers for the additional dc. Something went
> > wrong...but what? I followed the directions in articles 237675 and
> > 238369.
> >
> > I checked on the first dc and the only thing I see in the event log is a
> > KCC
> > warning and it lists the additional DC in it.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions, they would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Hi

Try right-clicking the top of the tree in the DNS console and selecting
"Connect to DNS server". First select the original DC and confirm it's
working, then go back and select "This computer".

Kind regards
--

in message news:919035AE-C168-4FE6-9339-28FB2509658D@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > successfully.
>> >
>> > I rebooted the additional dc and when it came back up, I went into the
>> > DNS
>> > snap-in and DNS is unavailable (the server name has a red x over it and
>> > can't do anything with it). I tried typing net share at the command
>> > prompt
>> > and the sysvol share does not appear. Also, not all the users are
>> > there
>> > when
>> > I view AD Users and Computers for the additional dc. Something went
>> > wrong...but what? I followed the directions in articles 237675 and
>> > 238369.
>> >
>> > I checked on the first dc and the only thing I see in the event log is
>> > KCC
>> > warning and it lists the additional DC in it.
>> >
>> > If anyone has any suggestions, they would be GREATLY appreciated.

I did that and I can connect to the original DC. I can't connect to the
additional one I am trying to put in. It gives me the error "The server is
unavailable. Would you like to add it anyway?"

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try right-clicking the top of the tree in the DNS console and selecting
> "Connect to DNS server". First select the original DC and confirm it's
> working, then go back and select "This computer".
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "TemporarilyConfused" <TemporarilyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:919035AE-C168-4FE6-9339-28FB2509658D@microsoft.com...
> >I tried what you suggested through step 5. However even after I
> >reinstalled
> > DNS it still wont connect to it in the snap in. I dont have the options
> > for
> > New Zone, Set Aging for all zones, Scavenge stale resouce records, update
> > server data files, and clear cache. All those are greyed out, as before.
> > Everything below that when you right click on the server name is
> > available.
> > This is how it was acting before. When I left click on the server name,
> > it
> > tells me that it canno contact the dns server in the right pane.
> >
> > When I installed AD, I was pointing the primary dns on this server to the
> > original dc, and the secondary dns was itself.
> >
> > Any other suggestions? Thanks!
> >
> > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I think you sort of got things backwards.
> >>
> >> 1. Point both DC's to the original DC as the preferred DNS server and
> >> don't
> >> set an alternate for the time being.
> >>
> >> 2. Uninstall DNS from the new DC.
> >>
> >> 3. Confirm that both DC's are registered in DNS on the original DC.
> >>
> >> 4. Ensure that the zone for your internal name space is AD-Integrated
> >> with
> >> dynamic updates set to secure.
> >>
> >> 5. Re-install the DNS service on the new DC.
> >>
> >> 6. Check DNS is correct on the new DC.
> >>
> >> 7. Point the original DC to the new DC as preferred DNS server and itself
> >> as
> >> alternate.
> >>
> >> 8. Point the new DC to the original DC as preferred DNS server and itself
> >> as
> >> alternate.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> --
> >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> >> Windows Platform Support Team
> >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "TemporarilyConfused" <TemporarilyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote
> >> in message news:1B99B4B2-913A-4DD0-B7E7-4274EE726B79@microsoft.com...

Also, during dcpromo, what IP settings should I have in the original DC and
the additional dc? Should I follow what you sent in the first reply
(additional dc should have original as primary and itself and secondary, and
original dc should have the additonal as primary and itself as secondary).

Also, when I first add DNS to the new server (before promotion), it
shouldn't have all the msdcs and etc folders yet right? That should happen
for that server after I run dcpromo? I just want to make sure that I
understand this correctly.

Thanks again!

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try right-clicking the top of the tree in the DNS console and selecting
> "Connect to DNS server". First select the original DC and confirm it's
> working, then go back and select "This computer".
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "TemporarilyConfused" <TemporarilyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:919035AE-C168-4FE6-9339-28FB2509658D@microsoft.com...
> >I tried what you suggested through step 5. However even after I
> >reinstalled
> > DNS it still wont connect to it in the snap in. I dont have the options
> > for
> > New Zone, Set Aging for all zones, Scavenge stale resouce records, update
> > server data files, and clear cache. All those are greyed out, as before.
> > Everything below that when you right click on the server name is
> > available.
> > This is how it was acting before. When I left click on the server name,
> > it
> > tells me that it canno contact the dns server in the right pane.
> >
> > When I installed AD, I was pointing the primary dns on this server to the
> > original dc, and the secondary dns was itself.
> >
> > Any other suggestions? Thanks!
> >
> > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I think you sort of got things backwards.
> >>
> >> 1. Point both DC's to the original DC as the preferred DNS server and
> >> don't
> >> set an alternate for the time being.
> >>
> >> 2. Uninstall DNS from the new DC.
> >>
> >> 3. Confirm that both DC's are registered in DNS on the original DC.
> >>
> >> 4. Ensure that the zone for your internal name space is AD-Integrated
> >> with
> >> dynamic updates set to secure.
> >>
> >> 5. Re-install the DNS service on the new DC.
> >>
> >> 6. Check DNS is correct on the new DC.
> >>
> >> 7. Point the original DC to the new DC as preferred DNS server and itself
> >> as
> >> alternate.
> >>
> >> 8. Point the new DC to the original DC as preferred DNS server and itself
> >> as
> >> alternate.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> --
> >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> >> Windows Platform Support Team
> >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "TemporarilyConfused" <TemporarilyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote
> >> in message news:1B99B4B2-913A-4DD0-B7E7-4274EE726B79@microsoft.com...

Hi

It's sounding like you may just want to rebuild this new server ... it's new
after all. DCPromo it out and start over.

When you've just got the one original DC in the environment with DNS
installed, point everything to this machine as the preferred DNS server.
Have no alternate set.

For the new machine that you want to promote to be a DC, I'd suggest not
having the DNS server service installed to start with. Simply DCPromo it in
using the original DC as a DNS server and once it's all up and running,
install the DNS server service on the new DC. After a replication cycle you
should see all the zone information appear and then you can configure
preferred and alternate DNS as I suggested earlier.

HTH
--

in message news:1FB65878-6DCF-404D-856C-9CB6F73F9834@microsoft.com...
> Also, during dcpromo, what IP settings should I have in the original DC
> and
> the additional dc? Should I follow what you sent in the first reply
> (additional dc should have original as primary and itself and secondary,
> and
> original dc should have the additonal as primary and itself as secondary).
>
> Also, when I first add DNS to the new server (before promotion), it
> shouldn't have all the msdcs and etc folders yet right? That should
> happen
> for that server after I run dcpromo? I just want to make sure that I
> understand this correctly.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Try right-clicking the top of the tree in the DNS console and selecting
>> "Connect to DNS server". First select the original DC and confirm it's
>> working, then go back and select "This computer".
>>
>> Kind regards
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>> rights.
>>
>> "TemporarilyConfused" <TemporarilyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote
>> in message news:919035AE-C168-4FE6-9339-28FB2509658D@microsoft.com...
>> >I tried what you suggested through step 5. However even after I
>> >reinstalled
>> > DNS it still wont connect to it in the snap in. I dont have the
>> > options
>> > for
>> > New Zone, Set Aging for all zones, Scavenge stale resouce records,
>> > update
>> > server data files, and clear cache. All those are greyed out, as
>> > before.
>> > Everything below that when you right click on the server name is
>> > available.
>> > This is how it was acting before. When I left click on the server
>> > name,
>> > it
>> > tells me that it canno contact the dns server in the right pane.
>> >
>> > When I installed AD, I was pointing the primary dns on this server to
>> > the
>> > original dc, and the secondary dns was itself.
>> >
>> > Any other suggestions? Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS