What does Intel's 775-land LGA package mean?

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I just bought this ASRock 775Dual-VSTA - PT880 Pro Pro cuz I plan on upgrading to the Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) it says it supports the Conroes but then in the fine print inside the instructions it says "Supporting Conroe, (775-land LGA package)"

all I wanna do is pop in the Conroe chip soon as I buy it and start it up and roll with it...but after readin the fineprint Im thinking theres a litttle more to it, and I dont know what the 775-land LGA package means so Im askin yall...

by the way this MoBo looks dope simply cuz Im not doing a full upgrade until Windows Vista comes out, I'm just testing the waters with this .. so for now this way I can still use my 6600GT AGP and my gig of PC400 Ram, this thing has PCI express AND AGP!! and both DDR and DDRII sockets !!

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I just bought this ASRock 775Dual-VSTA - PT880 Pro Pro cuz I plan on upgrading to the Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) it says it supports the Conroes but then in the fine print inside the instructions it says "Supporting Conroe, (775-land LGA package)"

all I wanna do is pop in the Conroe chip soon as I buy it and start it up and roll with it...but after readin the fineprint Im thinking theres a litttle more to it, and I dont know what the 775-land LGA package means so Im askin yall...

by the way this MoBo looks dope simply cuz Im not doing a full upgrade until Windows Vista comes out, I'm just testing the waters with this .. so for now this way I can still use my 6600GT AGP and my gig of PC400 Ram, this thing has PCI express AND AGP!! and both DDR and DDRII sockets !!
LGA stands for "Land Grid Array." In comparison to Intel's previous mainstream socket 478, LGA 775 (alson known as "Socket T") means that the connecting pins are located on the motherboard and not the processor.

Socket T:
0118000000071018.jpg

Socket T processor:
retro6_mini.jpg

Socket 478:
socket_m478b.jpg

Socket 478 Processor:
socket478_back.jpg

Almost all modern Intel chips, including the upcoming Conroe, use socket 775. Therefore, that motherboard will be fine. What you do need to worry about is the chipset, as I am unaware if that chipset supports Conroe. The Intel 965 series and the 975X chipsets do support Conroe, but you will need to do research if you plan to use a 3rd-party chipset.

The very best thing I could possibly advise you to do, though...is to get a second opinion.