Sign in with
Your question

World First Sub 10 second SuperPi_1M run!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2006 3:27:08 AM

History was made today.

And the Stepping 5+ X6800s are overclocking like mad! Coolaler and "CBB OC Team.i" released this today:

More about : world superpi run

June 30, 2006 3:31:07 AM

8O GEeeee, that is the CPU i'm waiting for, i wonder how much OC it can handle without any "Special" cooling.
June 30, 2006 3:31:26 AM

This is bigger then the moon landing. Seriously though, nice.
June 30, 2006 3:33:54 AM

Cooooooooooool.
:(  I can't afford it...
June 30, 2006 3:40:46 AM

Looks like I'll be getting an Intel and not an AMD for my upcoming build. Unless AMD has some secrets... hopefully, since I seem to get burned by Intel (and Intel is all I've ever bought).
June 30, 2006 3:46:56 AM

Quote:
Looks like I'll be getting an Intel and not an AMD for my upcoming build. Unless AMD has some secrets... hopefully, since I seem to get burned by Intel (and Intel is all I've ever bought).

You do know you're not supposed to remove the heatsink from a running Prescott, right?
June 30, 2006 4:12:04 AM

mmmm i want it..... it's like my computer overclocked to 12 Ghz.

Is coolaler a janitor at an intel fab that he just swipes these off the production line?
Hmm new stepping is out.. gotta benchmark it. :lol: 
June 30, 2006 4:21:45 AM

Absolutely incredible
A must have.

What’s up with that Vcore1.175volts @ 5266 MHz? 8O
If that were the case it would run super cool at that clock
June 30, 2006 4:57:20 AM

nice .....

throws up from excitment
June 30, 2006 5:01:40 AM

Quote:
History was made today.

That's amazing. History indeed! It might take a little while to take it down another decade - and when that happens, will we even need to drop another?
June 30, 2006 5:16:52 AM

Nice indeed but are there other benchmarks other than "Super PI" posted in that test??

Something like TMPGEncoder, 3D rendering or internet content creation performance comaprisons against another chip??

Super PI is just telling something that everyone already know.........that it is one damn fast CPU!!!!
June 30, 2006 8:18:00 AM

HOLY S**T!
June 30, 2006 8:29:40 AM

The last time I checked a conroe thread from Coolaler, CPU-Z wasn't reading the voltage correctly. He aslo mentioned frying a MoBo after a failed volt-mod. I wouldn't put too much stock in that number.
June 30, 2006 9:06:08 AM

WoW!
I sence 45nm quadcores at 4GHz on the market, next year
June 30, 2006 9:08:17 AM

Quote:
Nice indeed but are there other benchmarks other than "Super PI" posted in that test??

Something like TMPGEncoder, 3D rendering or internet content creation performance comaprisons against another chip??

Oh please, why would you want to know any of that irrelevant crap when you can see how quickly it calculates Pi
June 30, 2006 9:54:53 AM

Quote:

Oh please, why would you want to know any of that irrelevant crap when you can see how quickly it calculates Pi

Because I already know its fast...........and so it can complete 1MB Super PI under 10 seconds........and that means what to me??

I do a lot of video editing and 3D rendering work on my PC in my profession so those benchmark scores gives me a good indication of how my current CPU is performing comparing to it thats all!!

It completes 1MB Super PI in under 10 seconds, and what does that mean to you in what you do (whether gaming, music encoding, etc) wouldnt you like to know just how much faster it is for actual programs / softwares you use to do things??
June 30, 2006 9:58:01 AM

Quote:
History was made today.

And the Stepping 5+ X6800s are overclocking like mad! Coolaler and "CBB OC Team.i" released this today:

Amazing... an 80% overclock on a brand new cpu....

Yes, it's extreme cooling, but still, 80% .. wow...

A site in belgium was running an EE at 3.66 or air with no issues of any kind...

Looks like intelcan do 3.2 without even trying, likely 3.33 or 3.46 with nothing moret han a bin sort....

Should be fun!
June 30, 2006 10:08:08 AM

I think I see an Intel processor running around inside my crystal ball...
June 30, 2006 10:37:51 AM

Quote:
Because I already know its fast...........and so it can complete 1MB Super PI under 10 seconds........and that means what to me??

I do a lot of video editing and 3D rendering work on my PC in my profession so those benchmark scores gives me a good indication of how my current CPU is performing comparing to it thats all!!

It completes 1MB Super PI in under 10 seconds, and what does that mean to you in what you do (whether gaming, music encoding, etc) wouldnt you like to know just how much faster it is for actual programs / softwares you use to do things??

I don't think you understood my post quite.
June 30, 2006 10:46:03 AM

Quote:

Super PI is just telling something that everyone already know.........that it is one damn fast CPU!!!!

Super Pi is not only a benchmark, it is a stbility test also. What the picture shows is Conroe clocked at 5.26GHz, booted in WindowsXP and stable to do SuperPi 1M. That does not mean that it is stable to do all the stuf 24/7. But the stablity on that system not depends only on the CPU. In cases like this when the FSB, RAM and CPU clock are running much more than the mainboard is designed for, this is amazing result.
About Core2 performance, there is a sticky thread on this subforum, link: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Collection-Conroe-Data-Core-Duo-Core-Extreme-ftopict183765.html
June 30, 2006 11:21:29 AM

Hail t3h Conroe!

Is there any WR that CPU hasnt destroyed yet?

Hm... where are the AMD fanpois?
June 30, 2006 12:01:24 PM

Converting.

Jeez that's fast. If you really want the best, get a Conroe and OC the living daylights out of it.

Suddenly my A64 X2 seems marginally pathetic. Once I finally get it running (tonight or this weekend), however, I don't think I'll care too much - it'll do what I want, and do it in style, sans extreme cooling.
June 30, 2006 12:05:50 PM

Quote:
Hail t3h Conroe!

It's not a popular bench, but i like benching some of the various POV-Ray renderings. I haven' seen Conroe put through any of those yet, and i don't know if they will.
June 30, 2006 12:09:44 PM

Quote:
Converting.

Jeez that's fast. If you really want the best, get a Conroe and OC the living daylights out of it.

Suddenly my A64 X2 seems marginally pathetic. Once I finally get it running (tonight or this weekend), however, I don't think I'll care too much - it'll do what I want, and do it in style, sans extreme cooling.
Well, we can't always have the best. I want a Viper, or a new C6 Corvette, but my old Dodge mini-van will have to do. It gets me from point A to point B. It just won't do it sideways, with smoke rolling out from under the fenders, and an exhaust note that will make grown men cry. :p 
June 30, 2006 12:17:11 PM

Quote:
Hail t3h Conroe!

It's not a popular bench, but i like benching some of the various POV-Ray renderings. I haven' seen Conroe put through any of those yet, and i don't know if they will.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1970192,00.a...

Conroe dominates in PovRay, FYI. :) 

Anyways, people asking for other benchmarks, that is not the point of this post. Read the sticky at the top of this forum for other benchmarks such as TMPGenc, which Conroe also dominates.

Also CPU-Z volt readings are consistently messed up with new CPUs. It is definitely wrong. He was running at 1.6v which is actually amazing, the previous steppings took 1.7v to reach just 5GHz but he did 5.26GHZ on 1.6v, which means there is possibly still more headroom to go higher.

Cheers!
June 30, 2006 1:02:47 PM

but really... when you dump all that money into a new conroe, the mobo, and some good ram, are you gonna dump 1.5-1.6v into that 65nm chip on air? i dont even like giveing my 90nm chip 1.55-1.6v.
June 30, 2006 1:14:20 PM

Quote:
but really... when you dump all that money into a new conroe, the mobo, and some good ram, are you gonna dump 1.5-1.6v into that 65nm chip on air? i dont even like giveing my 90nm chip 1.55-1.6v.

Hmmm, you seem to misunderstand the point of this post. This is a world record run under a phase liquid nitrogen cooling setup, not a 24x7 setup.

The Conroe chips (even the lower end E6600 and E6400) have been consistantly getting 3.6-3.8GHz at stock volts on air no problem.
June 30, 2006 1:14:58 PM

Quote:
I <3 headroom.

STOP! Muahaha, I just cant stop laughing, I just gotta sig this one! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 30, 2006 1:22:41 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, you seem to misunderstand the point of this post. This is a world record run under a phase liquid nitrogen cooling setup, not a 24x7 setup.

The Conroe chips (even the lower end E6600 and E6400) have been consistantly getting 3.6-3.8GHz at stock volts on air no problem.

I didnt misunderstand anything, im a member at xtreme too.. and there are guys there that do feed 1.5ish on air, check Dumos post ;)  and besides... records have been being set left and right, it was just a matter of time before 10s was broken heheh.
June 30, 2006 2:30:50 PM

If E6400 will be with 4MB of L2, than that will join my next rig. With ATi RD600 I bet that decent mainboard will be stable at 1600MHz FSB. With good air cooling and DDR2-800 CL4, I hope that I'll get E6400 2.13GHz overclocked 50% at 3.2GHz. If E6400 has 2MB of L2, than I'll go after E6600 and I hope to get it at 3.6 stable
June 30, 2006 5:31:57 PM

freakin A

:D 
June 30, 2006 5:57:43 PM

I think I just found my catch phrase.

Maybe after pwning some loser in UT in a spectacular fashion I'll say that. Maybe I'll even macro it...:wink:
June 30, 2006 8:56:23 PM

I think some people here are missing the significance of this; it's not that he broke the 10s barrier on SuperPi (which is simply an arbitrary number that we all think looks nice and dandy), but it is the fact that he did this from a white box cpu. This is what you and I could buy at the end of next month (hopefully) and this is the amount of power you and I can get from it. From all indications, this is no cherry picked processor and maybe, just maybe, we can stop all the blabbing about people being Intel pumpers or cherry picking their processors!
June 30, 2006 9:06:08 PM

oh yeah? lets see it run 2 instances of pi and see what happens :lol:  i wonder if it would look more like an amd? 8O
June 30, 2006 9:08:45 PM

Quote:
oh yeah? lets see it run 2 instances of pi and see what happens :lol:  i wonder if it would look more like an amd? 8O

Uh, no? Why would it?
June 30, 2006 9:18:41 PM

1M superpi is not much of a stability test..... so it's stable for 10 seconds..... good stuff....
July 1, 2006 12:06:35 AM

The absence of BM in this thread is entirely predictable.
July 1, 2006 2:22:44 AM

So, anyone else see any good reports of across the board bench in comparison to an Opty.... clock for clock? I have seen a benchmark where a 3ghz core 2 duo and a 3ghz Opty perform the same in real world.... only in a game.... some other that have the Core @ about 5% faster in encoding..... all the synthetics the Core wins... hands down. And some others where Core is faster in some games. It's just interesting how in some aspects it performs like advertised..... and then other the K8 clock for clock gives it a run for it's money. These benchmarks of course were not from Toms or any other website of the sort. So they are about as worthless as all the others, they were just of someone that had both cpu's set up with sli 7900gt's and screenshots..... if you guys want the link check it out..... it is more interesting that anything else.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=185555

ps: pics are low qual.
July 1, 2006 2:28:42 AM

Quote:
The absence of BM in this thread is entirely predictable.

SOmehow I knew I'd make it into this thread whether I posted or not.

Sigh.

I admit the damn thing is fast. I admit it wipes the floor with X2. I think they should do Primordia as well though as that's AMDs strong point.

Had to get that in.
July 1, 2006 3:50:30 AM

I kinda picked it up after I posted the message and reading it the second time around...............
July 1, 2006 4:21:54 AM

Even i'm impressed.
July 1, 2006 5:26:40 AM

[/quote]
Quote:
So, anyone else see any good reports of across the board bench in comparison to an Opty.... clock for clock? I have seen a benchmark where a 3ghz core 2 duo and a 3ghz Opty perform the same in real world.... only in a game.... some other that have the Core @ about 5% faster in encoding..... all the synthetics the Core wins... hands down. And some others where Core is faster in some games. It's just interesting how in some aspects it performs like advertised..... and then other the K8 clock for clock gives it a run for it's money. These benchmarks of course were not from Toms or any other website of the sort. So they are about as worthless as all the others, they were just of someone that had both cpu's set up with sli 7900gt's and screenshots..... if you guys want the link check it out..... it is more interesting that anything else.

ps: pics are low qual.

Have you seen the following benchmark??

http://www.matbe.com/articles/lire/306/merom-et-conroe-...

Have you also noticed that while in synthetic apps like PCMark there isn't big advantage of Core 2 over A64 FX but there is one in real-world apps??

Do you also know Opty=A64 FX?? Link: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/opteron-16...

Guess I have to keep posting for little while more to point out what's false and what's not.

Stop posting bull**** people!!!
July 1, 2006 5:41:05 AM

And according to the benchmark:

FEAR Stress Test:
1024x768, 4xAA 16xAF, all max:

Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 60 | Avg 142 | Max 370

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 78 | Avg 162 | Max 485

In other words: 30%/14%/31% faster than Opteron

1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, all max:
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 25 | Avg 43 | Max 172

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 53 | Avg 86 | Max 310

In other words: 112%/100%/80% faster than Opteron

Source Stress Test:
1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, Everything Maximum

Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: 134.15fps

Conroe @ 3GHz: 138.41fps

3.2% faster than Opteron

Call of Duty 2: Point DuHoc Assault until over the cliffs
1600x1200, 4xAA 8xAF, Everything Maximum
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 23 | Avg 50.189 | Max 102

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 22 | Avg 50.961 | Max 98

Call of Duty, which is known to be very CPU insensitive: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=264...

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
1600x1200, Full HDR, 8xAF, Everything Maximum
This FRAPS run was taken from the very beginning of the game, up until the time that the king leaves you.

Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 15 | Avg 83.993 | Max 689

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 29 | Avg 132.776 | Max 1546

93%/58.1%/124%

XViD to MP4 (Ipod) using WinAVI Video Converter
LOTR: Extended Trilogy

Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: 1hr 23min

Conroe @ 3GHz: 1hr 8min

22% faster

MPG to XViD using VirtualDub
5min Video of COD2 recorded with FRAPS

Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: 13min 40sec

Conroe @ 3GHz: 10min 1sec

36% faster

Average of 45% faster per clock speed than Opteron, now how did you come to the conclusion its 5% faster??
July 1, 2006 6:10:32 AM

First of all, why the hell are you getting so angry? Chill out man, your bp is increasing when you get so upset. It's just a cpu. Second of all, did you read my post? I am pretty sure I made it clear that I wasn't referring to an OVERALL % differrence..... I don't think that when someone buys a computer to run apache, they buy it because it is faster in other applications.... they buy the best one for what they are doing in the price range they have. I simply said..... it goes from 5% some encoding tests to blowing the pants off of K8..... jease man.... chill out.

btw: I goofed on the 5%, just messed up my math.... going by 100's and not 60's. IE..... 108 and 123.... I just did it off the top of my head and was off by about 7%.... my bad.... but chill out man.... you don't have to get hostile.
July 1, 2006 6:15:48 AM

Quote:
So, anyone else see any good reports of across the board bench in comparison to an Opty.... clock for clock? I have seen a benchmark where a 3ghz core 2 duo and a 3ghz Opty perform the same in real world.... only in a game.... some other that have the Core @ about 5% faster in encoding..... all the synthetics the Core wins... hands down.

I think its pretty clear by that statement you are implying otherwise. And then you give a link to the one you are talking about, which only showed two applications that are known to be CPU insensitive or graphics intensive to be running on the highest of resolutions to have few % difference.

When 90% of apps show 20% advantage, 5% even greater than 20%, and 5% lower, the overall picture is pretty clear. And in encoding I DO NOT see 5%.
July 1, 2006 6:22:43 AM

See edit to above post....

When I saw I was off, I am saying I was off by the assumed numbers I used.... not the correct ones.... IE. with 108 and 123 it would have been 13% not 5%... but since I should have been using 60min increments instead of 100 for the hours..... I was much further off than that.... understand now? Not really sure how I messed that one up.... guess I was going by dollars and cents 8O

and yes I am aware of what an opteron is..... the only reason I said opteron is because that is what it was being compared to in that forum.

I only ask one thing, can you please just not spaz out? I posted that for a reason..... I wanted to see what others might have to say.... not draw some defensive attack.

And the reason I used the gaming result is because there are other Conroe results that show the difference with Max setting pretty damn substantial. Taking the min fps up from the 10-15 to above 30fps with the same setup other than mobo and cpu. I like Conroe.... I would contemplate buying one when I get back to the states in Oct.... but things may be a little different by then.... and then again.... they may not be.

Sorry to keep editing.... but I was not implying anything.... you probably think I was implying that Conroe sucks or something like that. But I was not.... I was making an assumption under a false pretense that encoding times might be fairly close.... and in my case encoding time is important. The difference between 100 and 300 fps on game doesn't matter since I will not notice it.... but back to the point. When I am thinking things at times they come across to other people differently than I intend. This being a prime example.
July 1, 2006 6:50:24 AM

Quote:
I think some people here are missing the significance of this; it's not that he broke the 10s barrier on SuperPi (which is simply an arbitrary number that we all think looks nice and dandy), but it is the fact that he did this from a white box cpu. This is what you and I could buy at the end of next month (hopefully) and this is the amount of power you and I can get from it. From all indications, this is no cherry picked processor and maybe, just maybe, we can stop all the blabbing about people being Intel pumpers or cherry picking their processors!

Yes, hopefully it will be available next week.............
Forget the cherry picking thing for a minute and just thinking about the type of cooling method you'll need to keep this thing under control at 5.0GHz plus???

They're going for a world record.....I'd doubt they run it at that speed 24/7!!
The actual chip for sell next month wont be a sub 10sec - 1MB Super PI CPU but hey, it will definitely out-run the AMD FX series!!
July 1, 2006 12:44:29 PM

FX-62 is always good in synthetics because its theoretical memory bandwidth is WAY higher.
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!