Sign in with
Your question

First build,Intel Pentium D 930 Can someone Please help Me ?

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2006 3:57:28 AM

Hi all.
Got a few questions i hope you can help me with..
I want to build a SLI system for gaming...I have already:

Intel Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz FSB 800 2x2 L2
Thermaltake Kandalf Black, Aluminium Front, Super tower (Without PSU)
2x 120mm LED fans
2x 90mm LED fans
2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 Software English OEM
1x DVD/RW
1x DVD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

I need to buy Mobo,Memory,PSU and GPU to go with above parts so advice is needed as i need this system up and running ASAP.
I have been looking at this mobo and memory
Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Pro, nForce4 SLI,ATX, Socket-775, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2,PCI-Ex16
Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB

I want to be able to Overclock a little with a good ASUS or Gigabyte mobo so could you guys suggest another mobo and memory or will above do?

Also what Nvidia graphics cards would u guys put in this sys ?
Was looking at getting mabe 2x 7800 GT 256mb (second card in 2 months time)

And finally what SLI ready PSU to use for all of the above ??..

Thanks in advance...
June 30, 2006 9:30:25 AM

Come on guys not one reply yet :cry: 
Need some help here please .....
June 30, 2006 10:17:04 AM

Quote:
Hi all.
Got a few questions i hope you can help me with..
I want to build a SLI system for gaming...I have already:

Intel Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz FSB 800 2x2 L2
Thermaltake Kandalf Black, Aluminium Front, Super tower (Without PSU)
2x 120mm LED fans
2x 90mm LED fans
2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 Software English OEM
1x DVD/RW
1x DVD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

I need to buy Mobo,Memory,PSU and GPU to go with above parts so advice is needed as i need this system up and running ASAP.
I have been looking at this mobo and memory
Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Pro, nForce4 SLI,ATX, Socket-775, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2,PCI-Ex16
Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB

I want to be able to Overclock a little with a good ASUS or Gigabyte mobo so could you guys suggest another mobo and memory or will above do?

Also what Nvidia graphics cards would u guys put in this sys ?
Was looking at getting mabe 2x 7800 GT 256mb (second card in 2 months time)

And finally what SLI ready PSU to use for all of the above ??..

Thanks in advance...

Gigabyte boards are high quality with great features. The only CPU I ever burned up was with a Gigabyte board. ASUS makes high quality overclockable boards. I have found ASUS boards run faster out of the box than other manufactures.

If you plan to overclock you might try some premium PC4000 500 mhz. RAM. Crucial OCZ and Corsiar are companies who make high quality versatile, overclockavle RAM. Budget RAM is often not flexible and will not overclock as well as say OCZ Gold, Platinum or Corsair XMS or Crucial Ballistic. Take a look at PC4000 500mhz instead of PC3200 400 mhz. RAM. Get a the best PSU with the highest wattage you can. Dual rail 22/24 amp is what I have. 680 watts. Lesser units may run hot if you hook up all your dual core stuff and expect to overclock at that. Hope this helps.
Related resources
June 30, 2006 10:31:21 AM

You are looking at PC5300 DDR2 RAM for your build. I have AMD socket 939 on the brain. What I said about PC4000 500 mhz RAM? I didn't mean it.
June 30, 2006 11:15:10 AM

>>It's all powered by an APC Back-UPS
that tells me the whole enchilada is drawing
190 watts using Antec's 550W TrueControl PSU. <<

I was curious how you knew you were drawing 190 watts of power on your Antec 550w True Control PSU. I had to upgrade my Antec 550w 2.0 SLi 19/19amp 12 volt PSU to an Aspire 680w dual 12 volt rail 22/24amp. The Antec was breathing fire. My system runs much more stable and cool with the increase to 680w.

Have you tried using this? This is what I used. I was using 589 watts according to this meter when I took out the 550 Antec out and put in the 680 Aspire. Just for fun anyways.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
July 1, 2006 12:20:48 AM

I have never needed a battery backup for my computers. We are about to take the plunge into Digital x-ray, at least we want to next year if an anticipated price drop by the manufacturers occurs.

Here: Craniofacial (Skull) xray is produced on my hard drive and we use software to measure the bones of the face wit the click of a mouse. Instantaneous. Incorporate digital photographs onto the digital x-ray and do growth/treatment projections at the blink of an eye. Mr Angle would have never thought it possible around the turn of last century at his home in St. Louis.

http://www.sirona.com/ecomaXL/index.php?site=SIRONA_COM...

We priced out a system at the national ADA convention recently and for the whole shootin' match it topped out at 93K. I've been running conventional, non-digitl xray for about 20 years. New technology takes over, especially when it becomes affordable to private Dr.'s in the industry not just hospitals and universitys. Anyway, I will be in charge of one of these Sirona digital x-ray machines looks like 2007. Kodak just spent a half a billion buying up company's with copyrights in the field. We may go there.

I guess this forum and technical knowledgable people like yourself are as good a backup as my money can buy. On a side note, my attorney Rudy, finally got his hands on the little bastards who were 'tagging' his property. He actually punched one of them and hurt his arm! LOL! I haven't been so fortunate. My seven security cameras are known clear to Tijuana though. They won't touch this place unless they want a stock German cop breathin down their neck. I'm starting to ramble. Enjoy the great posts and information you relay on this forum. If you have to punch, try a stiff left jab. I always count on it.

RD (Badge)
July 1, 2006 2:34:50 AM

Don't use 7800gt's for SLI. If you can even find them....

If you must have SLI, and are planning on buying a second card down the road a bit, i would say 7900GTX.

One of those would be easiest to find down the road a bit.
!