Sign in with
Your question

A topic about CPU benchmarking!

Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2006 4:36:16 AM

By Action Man.

Its come to my attention that some people have no idea when it comes to CPU benchmarking. When you're benchmarking a CPU in 3D games you don't want to be GPU limited so you run at low resolutions with no AA or AF.

Xbit Labs AM2 Review.

Anandtechs 965 EE Review.

Xbit Labs 965 EE Review.

Notice how they use 1024 * 768 rather then say 1600 * 1200.

Hexus' mini conroe Review.

Notice that farcry running at 1024 * 768 and the conroe system pulls ahead but in SC3 which is running at 1600 * 1200 with 4x AA and 8x AF all the systems are neck and neck. Obviously the systems are GPU limited so comparing the CPUs would be rather pointless.

Now if we try the reverse.

Beyond3D review of x1900.

Notice that across all the resolutions that many of the cards all run at the same frame rate. Obviously the systems are CPU limited (FX 55 they're using BTW) Its not till 1280 * 1024 does the x850xt fall behind the other cards which are obviously much better.

So that would be a situation where conroe would shine (or any other faster AMD CPU)

The same could be done with other components like if we limited the amount of RAM the systems had to say 256mb, they'd all score the same.

I'm pretty tired so I hope that all makes sense.

More about : topic cpu benchmarking

June 30, 2006 9:11:00 AM

get your fat ass on the "Collection of K8 and sAM2 Data" thread back and ask stcky from the mods.
June 30, 2006 9:15:23 AM

Tomorrow. Opened up a bottle of jack daniels. If I started work now, well it wouldn't be pretty. :p 

But seriously tomorrow I'll do price cuts, 4x4 and revision gay info.
Related resources
June 30, 2006 9:18:04 AM

About time this was addressed, i just hope that some yahoo's actually understand this, as they only see what they want to see. :wink:
June 30, 2006 9:22:12 AM

Quote:
Tomorrow. Opened up a bottle of jack daniels. If I started work now, well it wouldn't be pretty. :p 

I'm impressed AM. Into the JD, and no spelling mistakes or such. *clapping* :D 
June 30, 2006 10:35:36 AM

Quote:
Tomorrow.

Depends on how much JD you are going to waste. :lol: 
Quote:
Opened up a bottle of jack daniels.

njammmyyy :p  Jack is good. I like him pure at home temperature.
Quote:
If I started work now, well it wouldn't be pretty. :p 

Drunk AM in thread action. It will be fun :) 
Quote:
Nice, at least. Have fun.
June 30, 2006 11:34:25 AM

I included the price cut info, way too smashed to do anything else.
June 30, 2006 12:42:02 PM

That's a good summary, thanks. The links are also interesting reading.

More generally in terms of benchmarks / evaluations are there other sites, as well as those listed, that people would recommend for fair assessments of CPU's etc?

I confess, having read these forums for a while, that if 9inch etc post a link I probably won't follow it, but would be interested in most others.

I have (like most people I imagine) been following Conroe's birth with great interest (I have had both AMD and Intel processors in the past and am interested only in what works best, not who's fans paint their rear ends blue and shout the loudest). I am looking for some places people would recommend for fair benchmarks that will give an indication of best bang for buck. A few sites are always good as they let you make comparisons on methodology etc.

Sorry for the first post, but everyone had to have one I suppose and look on the bright side - people can always tell me to 'f*** off noob' if it helps their post count.
June 30, 2006 12:51:17 PM

Personally xbits is one my favourite sites, same with anandtech. They both do good cpu reviews and xbit does good GPU reviews. Beyond3d remains the king the king of 3d though.

The AMD fanboys will say anandtech has been bought off but they're just pissed that conroe crushes the K8.

Xbit have a new article on conroe. Heres a nice quote.

Quote:
Frankly speaking, no comment is necessary here. Practical performance results prove all our theoretical conclusions made above. Core 2 Duo processors definitely question the competitiveness of the CPUs with K8 architecture. Of course, there are a lot of aspects that make this or that CPU attractive for the user. Performance is certainly not everything today. We still need to find out more about the overclocking potential of the Core 2 Duo processor, their practical heat dissipation, etc. However, the preliminary performance results we have just seen are not very optimistic for AMD. Until AMD engineers introduce a fresh update to their K8 architecture, Athlon 64 processors will not be able to settle in high-performance platforms.
June 30, 2006 12:58:48 PM

FUD is what i feel when i think of my system, and how much money it has sucked from me (suckered me out of) conroe looks spankalicious.. i hope they keep reasonable priceing, i dont wanna spend a ton of money, again :( 
June 30, 2006 1:00:05 PM

Check the conroe sticky for pricing. You should be quite happy with it.
June 30, 2006 1:00:43 PM

Great, I'll have a read of those.

That quote is good imho, simply because the article recognises what has not been done yet and what has been and offers a forecast on what has been seen so far. My sort of site.

Many thanks.
June 30, 2006 1:28:40 PM

Quote:
get your fat ass on the "Collection of K8 and sAM2 Data" thread back and ask stcky from the mods.

AM nice data - because this topic always comes up - Why aren't they
running higher resolution.

You notice AMD fanboys don't ask 9inch to do the AMD collection.

Why! People couldn't trust the data. Good Job!!
June 30, 2006 2:35:10 PM

Quote:
You notice AMD fanboys don't ask 9inch to do the AMD collection.

They have all the data they want only to know about, collected and biased on Shakira's blog.
July 1, 2006 4:40:19 AM

Thats brillant, just what I need. I'll add it and do a little write up later on.
July 1, 2006 7:40:16 AM

Drown me in links why don't you. :p  I'll read through them tonight and see would be a useful addition.
!