Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
personally i would get a 7900gt instead of the x1900xt as it is quite alot cheaper and very similar performance.
i would then spend the extra money on a 4400 or 4600+ cpu

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
the x1900xt would be better, depending on what games you want to play with it, being it has HDR and AA. Oblivion and other MMOs would be good for it, but the ATI x1 series is known to be loud for the ridiclious size fan and heatsink it has on it, the 7900GT is the average all around card these days, either one will strike a good resemblance in your new rig.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
If you're getting an Asus board, which is awesome, go with Corsair XMS. OCZ and Asus don't play well together. And I second the notion for a 7900GT. The Radeon series is loud, hot, and while it has the ability to render HDR and AA at the same time I guarantee you won't care. If you get an eVGA like I did, you can trade in your "old" video card within 90 days and get a newer card, and you just have to pay the difference.

If you do anything with Linux, do yourself a favor and get an nVidia card - ATI's drivers are terrible for all platforms but especially for Linux. And drivers decide what performance you get.