LCD nub help plz!

of these 4 which is the best?

Link.

the most expensive one seems like the best, largest contrast ratio

Article on THG yesterday.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/27/xxl_displays/

I have the top rated model from the article. Works perfect so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116381

The article mentions this one, but it not a widescreen. I may buy this or another of the 20" I have. Need a couple of vid cards to set up another SLI rig first. May hold up Fry's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116365

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
BTW do you realize that game support for widescreen monitors is poor at best. Of course if you don’t do gamming too much then the wide screen is the way to go.

I would say go with Viewsonic because:

1. Top Tier LCD monitor vendor
2. DVI connection
3. 3 year warranty
4. They are not lying to you about the number of colors (more or less).

These are all 6-bit color LCDs so they only produce 262,144 of actual colors. That gets bumped up to 16.2 million by interpolation (guessing/estimating). Only 8-bit color LCDs produce true 16.7 million colors. But 8-bit color LCD are more expensive and have more like 12ms (at best) or 16ms response times.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
he may play alot of source games or valve ones in general. alot of newer games do have widescreen support and those that don't aren't worth buying. you can tell alot about the quality of a game developer by what features they put into their options menu's.

yeh. i play Steam games + BF2,

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

blazesofhell

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
BTW do you realize that game support for widescreen monitors is poor at best. Of course if you don’t do gamming too much then the wide screen is the way to go.

I'm sorry buddy, but do you realize exactly how misinformed you are??

"Poor at best" my ass. More and more games are coming out with widescreen support built into them.

Even with older games, there's usually a way to modify the game's configuration file in notepad to force it into a wide-aspect resolution. Sure, the FOV might be a little wonky, but it sure beats playin in 4:3 or 4:3 stretched across the screen.

www.widescreengamingforum.com is a really good site with info on...gaming in widescreen. enjoy.

and to reply to the OP:

go widescreen or go home, seriously!!! yeah yeah, the 19" WS is the same height as the 17" 4:3, but you get a higher resolution (technically, its less space, but it appears as more) and a wide-aspect for games and movies!

i really dont get why people would still be getting 4:3 monitors, unless it was a dual-monitor setup. if you want a single monitor for your computer, go widescreen, especially since prices are falling like crazy now. it's that simple.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

I'm sorry buddy, but do you realize exactly how misinformed you are??

"Poor at best" my ass. More and more games are coming out with widescreen support built into them.

Even with older games, there's usually a way to modify the game's configuration file in notepad to force it into a wide-aspect resolution. Sure, the FOV might be a little wonky, but it sure beats playin in 4:3 or 4:3 stretched across the screen.

www.widescreengamingforum.com is a really good site with info on...gaming in widescreen. enjoy.

and to reply to the OP:

go widescreen or go home, seriously!!! yeah yeah, the 19" WS is the same height as the 17" 4:3, but you get a higher resolution (technically, its less space, but it appears as more) and a wide-aspect for games and movies!

i really dont get why people would still be getting 4:3 monitors, unless it was a dual-monitor setup. if you want a single monitor for your computer, go widescreen, especially since prices are falling like crazy now. it's that simple.

220 is too much for a screen. I dunno. if maybe it was 180 that would be fine.

edit: i have this 17" screen but my bro is takin it.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_SyncMaster_713V_Silver_17_LCD_Monitor/713V-Silver/p/414883

so something of equal or greater quality, would that 17" acer beat the samsung?

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Thanks for the link. It was a real eye opener. Except for MOO2 (play it less these days after getting GalCiv2) almost all the games I play are supported. Sometimes being proven wrong doesn’t feel so bad. :D

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
They are all pretty much the same, go for which looks better.

I personaly wouldnt get any of them as they are all missing DVI but thats my prefernce.

I wouldnt trust all the reviews either as people have rose tinted glasses when they just spent $200 on a monitor.