Mic input producing feedback on Ventrilo... hardware problem

gearbox

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Hi.

I have a Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value which came with a P4-2.2 GHz-based Dell computer I bought 4 years ago.

The sound card works well for playback, but I'm having consistent trouble with my mic input...... when I jump onto Ventrillo the feedback it produces makes my teammates ears bleed. This happens most of the time, but sometimes it works well.

I've tried 2 different mics and both produce an identical effect. Sometimes the problem temporarily fixes itself when I reboot the computer, sometimes not. As far as I know Creative doesn't have (updated) drivers easily available for the card.

I've taken it to a techie place to get looked at..... he said the card was too powerful for my system and tweaked a couple settings to reduce it's impact. None of this worked.

I'm interested in your opinions...... do you think this is a hardware or software issue? I'm building myself a new comp in a couple months & could buy a modern soundcard to replace my current one and transplant when I make the transmission.

Thank you :)

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Go to the program settings and somewhere should be a setting where you can train your microphone, run this and afterwards microphone won't be overpowering or underppowering. Start>Control pannel>Speech>configure microphone, this is based on win xp pro and a audigy 2zx, good luck this should fix it all.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
It sounds like you just need to change a software setting. I've experienced a similar problem using Teamspeak which is a program very similar to ventrilo.

What I did to fix the problem is to go into the creative sound mixer. Go to the record input selection. It should allow you to choose one option. Select any option except for "microphone" and "what you hear." That fixed the problem for me, hope it works for you.