fructoser

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hi,

I’m looking for a keyboard for my new computer. I tried a lot of keyboards but I couldn’t get what I need to get. I gave a lot of money for rubbish keyboards. And now I don’t want to waste more money for nothing.

My problem with keyboards is I want to press and hold 4-5 keys at the same time. I need some key combinations in some games. For example I want to play Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (by KONAMI) by using a keyboard. But I can’t play it effectively by the keyboards I tried and I spent a lot of money for these rubbish keyboards. The keyboards I tried are:

Microsoft Optical Desktop 2.0 (wireless)
Logitech Internet Pro (wired)
Logitech LX 500 (wireless)

The thing I want from a keyboard is this: I want to press two arrow keys plus the key ‘C’ and the key ‘E’ at the same time. For example I want to press and hold (down arrow key + left arrow key + ‘E’ key + ‘C’ key) and I want the keyboard to sense the movement I want to do for that game. Then for example I want to release the left arrow key, I want the keyboard to sense and act for that, too. And then I want to press the right arrow key instead of the key I released also. I want the keyboard to sense and act for this movement, too.

But the keyboards I tried above can’t do these things. Some of them make beep sounds and don’t act as they should. Some of them don’t beep but not act as they should. Logitech Internet Pro also can’t do the simple key combination, (up arrow key + left arrow key + ‘D’ key) which is horrible. I want a keyboard to handle these type of key combinations.

I don’t want a keyboard that can’t handle the “Key Ghosting” and “Key Masking” problems. But all the keyboard I told you above can’t handle these errors at all. So I’m looking for a keyboard that can handle these type of key combinations. I hope there’s a keyboard like this. The keyboard doesn’t have to be a wireless, I can use wired keyboards in games. I’m waiting for your replies. Thanks.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i still use my 'IBM Model M' despite its age if you can get hold of one of these you'll never use another keyboard

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
what i've noticed is that some usb keyboards are recognized as gaming devices, for i.e. i just got a saitek eclipse and you can't press more than 2 keys at a time because of this, you can disable it was a gaming device but then the volume controls won't work, (not a big deal), i returned a g15 before i got eclipse because i wasn't impressed with the price of the g15, and the LCD and the progamable buttons didn't come in handy like i thought they would,

as far as i know if you use a ps/2 slot you won't have the problem i mentioned above but that limits you to not so impressive keyboards

fructoser

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
i use a logitech G15 keyboard, which has 18 programable keys you can use to your liking.

Can you try the key combination (left arrow key + down arrow key + C + E) with G15? I was thinking to buy it after Logitech LX 500 ruined my dreams. But I'm so worried that it can do the same thing just LX 500 did with the same key combination. If you have PES5 and if you can try it with that, it would be great. Thanks for your answer.

fructoser

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
The two of the keyboards that I tested this issue were wireless and one of it had a USB receiver and the other had a PS/2 receiver. But they both couldn't succeed doing this move. Also I tried it with a wired keyboard, namely Logitech Internet Pro. It did these moves like using two arrow keys with C and E keys both pressed at the same time. But it couldn't make a simpler move like (left arrow + up arrow + D) which is really really bad. I hope someone can find a keyboard that can do all the things I said, all the key combinations, everything :) I still hope for it.

Blight

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Okay, since you are using the Arrow Keys, you should be aware of an issue with the G15 keyboard. The Up and Right won't register at the same time when your holding down the Shift key. Basically, Logitech made this gaming keyboard for WASD users. So the key masking has been changed from a standard keyboard to minimize and WASD type ghosting issues. However, in doing this, the masking now has known ghosting issues with the arrow keys.. which are used in gaming, but not as common anymore. Basically, some people learned with the Arrow keys (after all it is logical) so WASD isn't comfortable for them. I even use ASDX instead of WASD because I like my strafe keys to be right next to my forward key. Either way, I haven't had a ghosting issue with this keyboard, but you should be aware since that's your main problem with other keyboards.

I have this keyboard, and it's a great keyboard, I love having a clock in front of me while playing games, the USB connections have proven useful (great for a quick mouse hookup when I forget to charge my wireless mouse). I also made good use of the G keys (useful for quick healing in WoW).

There is some limited game support for the LCD screen, and quite frankly, the best use I've gotten out of it is the clock and date. But that in itself is quite useful for me. Course.. I could just sit a clock on my Desk... but that would add to the clutter. :D

Azureus

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Ya the g15 and saitek eclipse are the best gaming keyboards out there. I personnaly use the g15 and my friend has a eclipse and i wish sometimes i got the eclipse because its smaller and i rarely use the macro keys but if u want to do what i think u do which is have easy combos the g15 would be perfect because of the 18 programmable keys.

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
if you have not noticed yet or no one has told you... the reason why the keyboard is making a beeping sound is because you are holding 4-5 keys on a PS/2 keyboard...

if you use a USB keyboard, it would not happen, and therefore, it would function normally.

fructoser

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Nobody told me about that USB / PS/2 thing. But I tried that Logitech LX500 keyboard only with PS/2 I think and I sent that keyboard to the place I bought it. They will test it and if they agree with the problem I told them about, they will give my money back. So I want everyone who cares about this to test this issue: Using (left arrow key + down arrow key + C + E) key combination and seeing if it can sense all the keys at the same time and if there are no beep sounds also. Also if some people try this and post, can they tell which keyboard they tested it with and the connection type they used for that keyboard, namely USB or PS/2. Thanks.