My system is windows xp (sp2). It works fine except when I
try to look for latest versions of windows update.
I get the following message:
"Checking for latest version of windows update software".
And it freezes nothing else happens.
Can some help?

Hi,

Reinstall the site controls. To reinstall the Windows Update site controls,
you must first remove the old controls. The following are generic steps for
all versions of Windows, so not all may apply to your system:

Remove Controls:
1. Click on Start, then Run.
2. Type in 'regsvr32 iuctl.dll /u' (without the quotes) click OK. You should
get a successful message, click OK on that as well.
3. Click on Start/search/files, choose to look in C:\
4. Type in the file name IUCTL.DLL and click Search Now. Delete every copy
of this file that you find.
5. Run the search again for the file IUENGINE.DLL. Again, delete every copy
of this file you find.

Delete Windows Update files:
1. Double-click on My Computer.
2. Open the C drive
3. Open the Program Files folder
4. Open the Windows Update folder.
5. Delete everything in the folder except the V4 folder.
6. Next, Open the V4 folder, if it exists.
7. Delete everything in the folder except the iuhist.xml file
8. Close Window

Then revisit the WindowsUpdate site and you will be prompted to reinstall
the site controls.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/