Monitor upgrade: Bigger or more what should it be?

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Hi, I need a little help on something.

My old CRT even though I love it and it does every resolution under the sun perfectly is now starting to go (having to set brightness to max to see ok in games). I have thought about this and decided rather than get a 21" CRT I would get either a 20" TFT (1600X1200) or 2X 19" TFTs (I need my desktop space).

Now here is my dilemma what would I be more happy with, at the moment I have a X800XT PE which can run games at 1600X1200 but some new games will not run very well at that speed. I know TFTs don't look very good when the resolution is downsized but how bad will it actually be till I can get a new graphics card?

My problem with the 2X 19" TFT option is that my graphics card does not have 2 DVI ports (1 VGA + 1 DVI) and the 2 monitors I am looking at (view sonic 3ms jobs with DVI) I presume will only have DVI connectors on them. I have googled a bit and seen that you can actually get a VGA - DVI connector. But how good will the picture be going through one of these adaptors?

So the question I need answering is which would be the best option the 20" TFT or the 2X 19" TFTs and why (funny how they are both the same price).

Thanks for any help given!

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
if you want to save your monitor, some have an internal brightness knob. I've repaired a couple monitors with a not so bright screen opening and adjusting the internal brighness.
If you dont feel comfortable with that, you can always ask a repair shop or something if that is possible

if you want to go tft, rather than buying 1 or 2, why dont you get a widescreen one?
I think it would help in your desktop size and would solve your port problem

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Problem is I am a gamer and with a widescreen monitor it would not work very well with the resolution and squash the picture. It would still not help my problem of my GFX card not being able to cope with what the monitor wants.

As for my old CRT thats as good as in the bin right now, I kinda gave it to someone lol

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Problem is I am a gamer and with a widescreen monitor it would not work very well with the resolution and squash the picture. It would still not help my problem of my GFX card not being able to cope with what the monitor wants.

As for my old CRT thats as good as in the bin right now, I kinda gave it to someone lol
you mean it would not handle the resolution? i was looking at some 20.1" widescreen monitors and their resolution is 1680x1050, so it's actually a smaller resolution than what you are using now. On the other side, i think the space feeling will be bigger, as you'll have more space at the sides of your desktop. The problem will be if your card simply does not support that resolution

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
If you're a gamer then why do you want two displays? If this doubles as a workstation then I can see your point, but it would be better to get a single really good large display than a pair of smaller ones. Especially since you only have one DVI.

Also, take into account that since you've used a really good CRT for many years, you'll be extra-sensitive to the marginally slower response time of an LCD. You'll want to get the fastest response time possible to make sure that you see as little smearing as possible.

If you get a really good monitor now, you can get a much better video card later, one with at least two DVI connections, and then you can get a second 20" after that.

I am infatuated with my new BenQ widescreen (20", 1680 x 1050, 8ms response time), but then again, I'm not that sensitive to ghosting. UT2003 looked great, though, the monitor had no problem keeping up (it was my notebook that couldn't, but that will change this weekend).

What games do you play, anyway?

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
firstly radeon cards do support that resolution have done for a while

secndly you wont notice any difference with it going thru an adapter

so then back to the original question

i personally like my dual monitor setup (very nice for bragging rights) i often watch a movie on one screen and work on the other or have two documents open at one timewhen required, then convert to clone mode for games. now then a few things to consider would it be possible to get one really nice monitor for main screen for games/ movies and another cheaper (some good cheap ones around) one for that extra desktop space that would be my personal preferance running both at 1280/1024
but then its up to you in the end i would advise that if you have never used dual monitors before for you to buy a nice lcd and continue using the old crt as you get used to using dual setup. then a few months down the line you can reasses and make a better informed desicion

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
That's a bit better!

I have used dual monitors before but only with my CRT and the TV. I have to say I did like watching movies on one screen when working on the other it was very nice!

As for just using it for gaming, I must say I do a lot of other things with my PC. I'm also a hobbyist map designer for games and this is where the loads of desktop space comes in. I can see having 2 screens will make my work much more productive where textures are concerned and having Photoshop and 3DSMAX open at the same time while being able to see what they are doing will help leaps and bounds.

But having to go from 1600X1200 which I use at the moment for the desktop to 1280X1024 would really hinder things a bit with Hammer and such.

But then playing games on a 1280X1024 which I do now would be great... I guess I will be missing the flexibility of CRT :( I can see an easy work around getting a 20" and a 19" but that just does not seem right and not to mention will cost £200 extra.

I'll tell you what, I have £600 before my credit card is maxed out lol so if anyone can find the best set up I like with out blowing my credit card up you will win my love :D