Migration from NT4 to 2003 gone bad - Any ideas?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have a client that decided to migrate their NT4 domain to 2003 before
calling me, and now they have several problems.

The old NT4 domain was mydomainNT, PDC/BDC.

The DSN server is a linux box.

The DHCP server is a Linux box.

They started by upgrading, in place, from NT4 to 2003 on the PDC, and
created a domain of mycompany.mydomainNT.com. They are unsure about the
rest of the steps - figures.

They are having all sorts of problems with slow shares, etc... I expect
this since DNS is running on another box, not part of the domain, and
even DHCP is not configured with the proper scope options.

Since they have a 2003 domain, even if it's the wrong name, and all the
users accounts, can we do the following - rename the domain on the 2003
server to be mydomain.lan, without loosing any accounts, then setup DNS
and DHCP on the 2003, abandon the old DNS/DHCP linux boxes, and then
connect the XP Prof systems to the 2003 and expect them to come up with
the users profiles?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

In news:MPG.1c21656a5494a619989c1e@news-server.columbus.rr.com,
Leythos <void@nowhere.org> made a post then I commented below
> I have a client that decided to migrate their NT4 domain to 2003
> before calling me, and now they have several problems.
>
> The old NT4 domain was mydomainNT, PDC/BDC.
>
> The DSN server is a linux box.
>
> The DHCP server is a Linux box.
>
> They started by upgrading, in place, from NT4 to 2003 on the PDC, and
> created a domain of mycompany.mydomainNT.com. They are unsure about
> the rest of the steps - figures.
>
> They are having all sorts of problems with slow shares, etc... I
> expect this since DNS is running on another box, not part of the
> domain, and even DHCP is not configured with the proper scope options.
>
> Since they have a 2003 domain, even if it's the wrong name, and all
> the users accounts, can we do the following - rename the domain on
> the 2003 server to be mydomain.lan, without loosing any accounts,
> then setup DNS and DHCP on the 2003, abandon the old DNS/DHCP linux
> boxes, and then connect the XP Prof systems to the 2003 and expect
> them to come up with the users profiles?
>
> --

I'm not sure if the Linux BIND DNS was setup properly, so to eliuminate the
obvious, and to make things easier, the very first thing to do is use MS
DNS. It's probably already installed by dcpromo, so make sure the current
zone called mydomainNT.com exists and updates are allowed. Then point this
DC and ALL of the clients to ONLY the DC for the DNS address in IP
properties. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER IP for DNS. THe idea is to only use the MS
DNS, since that's how AD works, it registers it's info in DNS and to find
anything in the domain, all machines query DNS for their locations. THen
configure a forwarder to the ISP's DNS server in DNS properties for
efficient Internet resolution.

Use MS DHCP, since the APIs work seemlessly with the DNS APIs for client
registration (Option 081 support), which the Linux DHCP doesn;t support.

Once that;s done, and insure all errors are removed, then we can concentrate
on renaming it.

After you configure the changes I mentioned, please post an *unedited*
ipconfig /all from the DC and one of the clients please. I would like to
insure the configuration is correct.

--
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!
so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In article <O3ikSKb3EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com says...
> In news:MPG.1c21656a5494a619989c1e@news-server.columbus.rr.com,
> Leythos <void@nowhere.org> made a post then I commented below
> > I have a client that decided to migrate their NT4 domain to 2003
> > before calling me, and now they have several problems.
> >
> > The old NT4 domain was mydomainNT, PDC/BDC.
> >
> > The DSN server is a linux box.
> >
> > The DHCP server is a Linux box.
> >
> > They started by upgrading, in place, from NT4 to 2003 on the PDC, and
> > created a domain of mycompany.mydomainNT.com. They are unsure about
> > the rest of the steps - figures.
> >
> > They are having all sorts of problems with slow shares, etc... I
> > expect this since DNS is running on another box, not part of the
> > domain, and even DHCP is not configured with the proper scope options.
> >
> > Since they have a 2003 domain, even if it's the wrong name, and all
> > the users accounts, can we do the following - rename the domain on
> > the 2003 server to be mydomain.lan, without loosing any accounts,
> > then setup DNS and DHCP on the 2003, abandon the old DNS/DHCP linux
> > boxes, and then connect the XP Prof systems to the 2003 and expect
> > them to come up with the users profiles?
> >
> > --
>
> I'm not sure if the Linux BIND DNS was setup properly, so to eliuminate the
> obvious, and to make things easier, the very first thing to do is use MS
> DNS. It's probably already installed by dcpromo, so make sure the current
> zone called mydomainNT.com exists and updates are allowed. Then point this
> DC and ALL of the clients to ONLY the DC for the DNS address in IP
> properties. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER IP for DNS. THe idea is to only use the MS
> DNS, since that's how AD works, it registers it's info in DNS and to find
> anything in the domain, all machines query DNS for their locations. THen
> configure a forwarder to the ISP's DNS server in DNS properties for
> efficient Internet resolution.
>
> Use MS DHCP, since the APIs work seemlessly with the DNS APIs for client
> registration (Option 081 support), which the Linux DHCP doesn;t support.
>
> Once that;s done, and insure all errors are removed, then we can concentrate
> on renaming it.
>
> After you configure the changes I mentioned, please post an *unedited*
> ipconfig /all from the DC and one of the clients please. I would like to
> insure the configuration is correct.

Thanks - that was my advise to them too, setup the one 2003 server with
DNS/DHCP, disable the others, and get everyone using it.

The question still remains, if they change the domain name on the 2003
server, so that it doesn't end in .COM, will they loose all of their
user accounts/profiles?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Leythos,

There are domain rename tools that are available for WIndows 2003 that
should allow you to rename the domain without losing the accounts that have
been created. That being said, however, the tools are not easy to use and
there can be problems with renaming a domain. Plan VERY carefully before you
move forward with something like that.

JHK

In article <1A4B2825-0136-4894-850F-D9035AB02256@microsoft.com>,
JHK@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Leythos,
>
> There are domain rename tools that are available for WIndows 2003 that
> should allow you to rename the domain without losing the accounts that have
> been created. That being said, however, the tools are not easy to use and
> there can be problems with renaming a domain. Plan VERY carefully before you
> move forward with something like that.

Yea, I've been reading up on it, and my advise to them was to save the
users data on a backup, wipe/reinstall using the proper methods. They
had never setup anything but a simple NT4 domain, could not even get
DHCP or DNS working on it, and though that doing an inplace upgrade to
2003 would just "work" :< The reason for the in-place was to save time,
but it's going to take more time to fix than to have done it properly.

I'm in the process of talking to them about ghosting the server, moving
it to a test network, doing the domain change, testing the change, and
then replacing the server with the fixed/changed one. I'm just glad that
they didn't install Exchange 2003 yet.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:00:12 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.org> wrote:

>In article <1A4B2825-0136-4894-850F-D9035AB02256@microsoft.com>,
>JHK@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> Leythos,
>>
>> There are domain rename tools that are available for WIndows 2003 that
>> should allow you to rename the domain without losing the accounts that have
>> been created. That being said, however, the tools are not easy to use and
>> there can be problems with renaming a domain. Plan VERY carefully before you
>> move forward with something like that.
>
>Yea, I've been reading up on it, and my advise to them was to save the
>users data on a backup, wipe/reinstall using the proper methods. They
>had never setup anything but a simple NT4 domain, could not even get
>DHCP or DNS working on it, and though that doing an inplace upgrade to
>2003 would just "work" :< The reason for the in-place was to save time,
>but it's going to take more time to fix than to have done it properly.
>
>I'm in the process of talking to them about ghosting the server, moving
>it to a test network, doing the domain change, testing the change, and
>then replacing the server with the fixed/changed one. I'm just glad that
>they didn't install Exchange 2003 yet.

Um, how do you intend re-adding the test server to the Domain? I don't
think that that can be done. Or am I misunderstanding what you intend.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster

In news:MPG.1c22e0b076e4edc4989c34@news-server.columbus.rr.com,
Leythos <void@nowhere.org> made a post then I commented below

> I'm trying to see if I can get them to move in the right direction -
> renaming is going to happen, there is no question about that. They can
> not use a .COM name for their network. What I want to do is get
> everything working, after the domain name change, and then replace the
> server with the 2003 one.
>
> The problem is that they bought 2003, without any planning or testing,
> or having ever used 2003, the migrated their only NT4 DC to 2003 and
> just assumed a bunch of things along the way. Now they are using the
> 2003 box, but having a lot of problems, and they call me a week after
> they've done this and want an easy fix - which there is none.
>
> Since they said they were using a nix box for DNS and DHCP my first
> suggestion was that we move the DNS/DHCP to the 2003 box so that we
> can be sure we have it working and that everything is properly seeing
> the 2003 server.....
>
> Since they used a .COM name for their network, and it's possible that
> it will be a public name some day, we need to change it to
> location.company.LAN to avoid problems. I don't want them to void all
> the settings for shares and profiles. I've never had to rename a
> domain, so I posted here for ideas/thoughts/advise.

No doubt, you posted to the right place! As for the rename, the system needs
to be functional prior to the renam operation, or the utility won't be able
to 'find'
the domain to rename it, if you know what I mean. That's why I was
concerned. DNS needs to be stable to stabilize AD. My suggestion is to
concentrate getting everything functional, .com or not, and then plan on the
rename.

I've seen same name domains (split-zones) work fine without too much
overhead.

Ace