keeping SIM card but using different phone

Last response: in Network Providers
October 21, 2004 7:23:03 AM

Hey...I want to get a new phone but I'd like to keep the plan I have, but I'm
wondering about the new messaging technology on the GSM phones...will the
subscrition-dependent features on my new phone work with the old plan? Here's
the info:
current phone: Nokia 6340i
plan: Nations 1200/5000nw
phone I want: Nokia 6620
The 6620 has tri-band reception, GPRS messaging and something called EDGE
network capability...anyone ever heard of that?

Thanks a lot...
Aaron Worley

More about : keeping sim card phone

October 21, 2004 12:19:52 PM

On 21 Oct 2004 03:23:03 GMT, aworley11896@aol.comjnkbgone (Aaron
Worley) wrote:

>Hey...I want to get a new phone but I'd like to keep the plan I have, but I'm
>wondering about the new messaging technology on the GSM phones...will the
>subscrition-dependent features on my new phone work with the old plan? Here's
>the info:
> current phone: Nokia 6340i
> plan: Nations 1200/5000nw
> phone I want: Nokia 6620
> The 6620 has tri-band reception, GPRS messaging and something called EDGE
>network capability...anyone ever heard of that?

EDGE is just a newer data scheme that is faster than GPRS.

Ask for a web definition in google.

Also I hope you realize that the 6340i is a GAIT handset and going to
anything else you'll be losing the ability to use TDMA and AMPS
networks.

October 21, 2004 7:35:50 PM

In <20041020232303.06553.00002479@mb-m18.aol.com> on 21 Oct 2004 03:23:03 GMT,
aworley11896@aol.comjnkbgone (Aaron Worley) wrote:

>Hey...I want to get a new phone but I'd like to keep the plan I have, but I'm
>wondering about the new messaging technology on the GSM phones...will the
>subscrition-dependent features on my new phone work with the old plan? Here's
>the info:
> current phone: Nokia 6340i
> plan: Nations 1200/5000nw
> phone I want: Nokia 6620
> The 6620 has tri-band reception,

Cingular uses only GSM 850 and 1900.

>GPRS messaging

SMS over GPRS is not supported by Cingular, just conventional SMS.

>and something called EDGE
>network capability...anyone ever heard of that?

EDGE is an enhancement to GPRS, available in major metro areas and along major
highways, that increases speed by about 2.5x. However, the Nokia
implementation of EGDE is slower than other manfs like Sony Ericsson and
Motorola.