Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please help me unlock my appleibook

Last response: in Mac Os X
October 19, 2012 9:12:11 AM

i downloaded this thing called filevault for pictures i had to give a password now i dont no it my computer is locked what do i do?

More about : unlock appleibook

a b 8 Security
October 19, 2012 9:27:24 AM

When you install FileVault you are given a recovery key which you can use to unencrypt your drive. You are also given the opportunity to store a copy of the key with Apple. If you did neither of these things and didn't keep a note of your password then I'm afraid you have a real problem. It's a bit like locking a safe and then throwing away the key.

Security software like this is useful to prevent theft. Your best bet is to contact Apple, or take your computer to an Apple Store, with proof of ownership. Be aware that they will almost certainly check the serial number against a list of reported stolen computers.
October 19, 2012 7:18:23 PM

Filevalut is included in OS X, to the best of my knowledge it isn't available as a download; there is an "advanced file vault" (nothing to do with Apple), the question is what did you download and from where?
Related resources
a b 8 Security
October 19, 2012 7:32:17 PM

Advanced File Vault is a Windows program, so unlikely to be the culprit.

As you say, you don't have to download FileVault; couple that with a conveniently "forgotten" password and draw your own conclusions.

Best solution

a b 8 Security
October 19, 2012 7:39:07 PM

Ever notice how most folks that lose/forget their passwords are posting for the very first time?
a b 8 Security
October 19, 2012 7:41:21 PM

This could be a Boot Camp Mac with a problem in Windows.

Regardless, as we have no means to verify that the OP is the owner of the system in question, we really can't help more than previously recommended.

October 19, 2012 7:57:37 PM

It is against forum policy to aid you in bypassing a password.
a b 8 Security
October 20, 2012 1:54:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
a b 8 Security
October 20, 2012 1:54:38 AM

Best answer selected by Area51reopened.
!