Sign in with
Your question

Starting several weeks ago icons have been appearing on my laptop home page at t

Last response: in Windows 7
May 1, 2011 4:15:30 PM

Starting several weeks ago icons have been appearing on my laptop home page at the rate of 3-4 per day. They consistently have a size of 188-189 bytes, occupy 4KB on the disk, and are labeled as zE, Xd, *1, A*, D, i9, ER, U%, OK, o=, etc. My virus scan does not identify anything harmful in the system.

Can anyone identify what these are, whether they can cause problems, and how they can be stopped?
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2011 6:06:00 PM

Indicates that junk software has been downloaded. Your virus scan? Are you also using one of those free downloaded security programs?
Backup ALL your personal files to a thumb drive or DVD, etc...DO THIS FIRST!!!

Load the win 7 DVD, and select: upgrade. This reloads the default operating system, but does not erase your personal stuff.
If that does not solve the difficulty, reformat the entire drive and load the OS from scratch, replace your files from the backup you made.

Use a professional all in one security system, not a free download. When you load free programs into your system you are asking for problems.

Or have a computer shop do it for you.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2011 6:17:24 PM

Backing up files onto a flash drive, may very well backup an infected file. And doing a repair install (upgrade) won't erase a virus, it will simply replace windows files. Not to mention, it backs up all those files into windows.old anyway, so the 'upgrade' is useless.

Run through the malware guide in my signature. It will rid your system of the infection, and you won't have to do any other round-a-bout garbage.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with free software, such as antivirus. That statement is complete garbage. You just have to know which software is quality. The free software can be just as good, if not better than some of the paid software.
Related resources
May 2, 2011 12:06:42 AM

soundguruman said:
Indicates that junk software has been downloaded. Your virus scan? Are you also using one of those free downloaded security programs?
Backup ALL your personal files to a thumb drive or DVD, etc...DO THIS FIRST!!!

Load the win 7 DVD, and select: upgrade. This reloads the default operating system, but does not erase your personal stuff.
If that does not solve the difficulty, reformat the entire drive and load the OS from scratch, replace your files from the backup you made.

Use a professional all in one security system, not a free download. When you load free programs into your system you are asking for problems.

Or have a computer shop do it for you.

Thanks for the response. Current security software is Trend Micro Antivirus. Will try your recomendation.
May 2, 2011 12:11:27 AM

[quote msg=86939,3,356916]Backing up files onto a flash drive, may very well backup an infected file. And doing a repair install (upgrade) won't erase a virus, it will simply replace windows files. Not to mention, it backs up all those files into windows.old anyway, so the 'upgrade' is useless.

Run through the malware guide in my signature. It will rid your system of the infection, and you won't have to do any other round-a-bout garbage.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with free software, such as antivirus. That statement is complete garbage. You just have to know which software is quality. The free software can be just as good, if not better than some of the paid software.[/quotemsg]

Thank you for your comments. My Trend Micro Antivirus software does not indicate that there is a virus present but a recent problem with files disappearing from a flash drive adds substance to reference to the problem being related to a flash drive.
May 2, 2011 12:13:07 AM

backup personal swag like pictures and music and movies
then format.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2011 12:47:54 AM

You don't need to format. That should be a last ditch effort. If you run through the malware guide in my signature, it should remove any infection from your system. You don't need to wipe your system.
a b D Laptop
a c 373 $ Windows 7
May 2, 2011 1:09:29 AM

Aford is right.lets give this person a chance to get it cleaned up!if his guide fails then he can do a reinstall!
!