Over Clocking = No Video Driver

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Recently i started OC'ing trying to get my 630 to 4ghz. and i noticed sometimes (pretty rarely) after i raise the FSB up by say 5, that when the computer boots into windows it loses the video driver and detects the card as new hardware as if i had just installed it.

my question is, has any body else experienced this, or is this normal? its only the video card driver, nothing else.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
its happened more than once, although rarely, im still interested how a hardware OC would affect the HDD. I know its not cus im stressing the PSU, ive got a 500w with 1 HDD and 6600GT.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
very strange, i have no idea, but will make a guess...

when starting up the pc draws so much power that the graphics card does not get enough power, so computer does not know its there.

it then gets enough power, maybe the power consuption evens out and the plug ang play finds the card again and thinks it just been put in..

I think the drivers will still be on the hard drive somewhere as it would not make sense for everything else software wise to be present and not them.

A new power pack would proably solve it, but on the other hand it could be a fault with the motherboard like some dodgy transitor or something.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
thats interesting, thx for the response.

but i took the OC off the Vid card so its running stock. and other than that i jsut dont have that much power draw to think that anything is under volted. but it could be a possibility.

but i did notice that the nvidia drivers are still in the add/remove programs list, but WINDOW$ doesnt recognize the drivers.