Virtualization for AMDs... WHEN?

Just checked the AMD roadmap and there was virtualization in the upcoming features until Nov. 2006. Will be pretty good for the single cores, anybody knows when will it be introduced?
15 answers Last reply
More about virtualization amds when
  1. It will come with the new Opteron stepping, however, like I stated in the other topic it will also bring considerable security issues.
  2. Quote:
    It will come with the new Opteron stepping, however, like I stated in the other topic it will also bring considerable security issues.

It's not that simple. In orde for this to work the individual has to install it. If they intro something that will allow autoexecution from a flaw in IE o Windows.

Again this is not a bug. This is not a bug. A hypervisor is SUPPOSED to sit above the OS. This malware installs a hypervisor.

I will be watching for this to see the payload size. At worse, if it's too large it wiil crash an OS that has to swap or cause the user to reboot because the hypervisor stole memory.
  3. Quote:
    It will come with the new Opteron stepping, however, like I stated in the other topic it will also bring considerable security issues.

Those security issues were first talked about when the Bootcamp software has been available on Mac with Intel CPU. In fact, all CPu supporting virtualization will be affected by this issue. But, since intel is always behing when it come to new feature, as shown with 64 bits or proper power management(read cool and quiet), it is quite normal that peoples now are more interrested with CPu that just give the technology instead of just talk about it...

Just like internet explorer.. it is the most used, so it is quite normal that securuty issue happen on it first.. Now that firefox is becoming popular, you isee that it has security issues too.. If you think that Linux don't have security issues, keep dreaming idiot..

Since you are retarded and clueless about what you are saying, then nobody will take your opinion into account.

Once, this forum was full of knowledgeable people, but now, it is full of retarded people like you.

To OP, if you want better information, just find any other CPU forum than this one. This forum is now full of bulshitting clueless fanboy.
  4. Quote:

To OP, if you want better information, just find any other CPU forum than this one. This forum is now full of bulshitting clueless fanboy. Pat i went to many other forumz like this and it's all the same s**t so he's outta luck and Ycon stop posting lies.
  5. Quote:
    Just checked the AMD roadmap and there was virtualization in the upcoming features until Nov. 2006. Will be pretty good for the single cores, anybody knows when will it be introduced?

it already exists. Google Xen. The difference will be HW activation.

The hypervisor is well underway. And not the one that is malware. That one has to be headers with fake entry points.

It will be INCREDIBLE for 64bit servers with 4 pros/8 cores (Hypervisors).

MS is working on theirs but who knows when it will come out.

I sometimes need 4-6 VMs and I would love it. I could get better perf numbers for comparison.
  6. Quote:

I sometimes need 4-6 VMs and I would love it. I could get better perf numbers for comparison.

Baron, are you already running Xen?

What rig you got already?

What are your thoughts on it, or did you post that info elsewhere already?

John
  7. well... i think its there in windows vista... in the task manager when you right click on a running process there is an option 'Virtualization' you can turn it on or off as required..., BTW i check iexplore.exe "Internet Explorer 7.0" and the 'Virtualization' option was check(on)....
  8. HEy guys, I thought that would be something like hyperthreading in P4s, ain't it?
  9. When chuck norris lets them, thats when.
  10. What I wanted to say is that they might
    a, release the new stepping even later
    b, not activate the feature in the new stepping
    to have enough time to fix the problem.
  11. Quote:
    When chuck norris lets them, thats when.

Why can Intel just rename AMDs 64bit instructions to EMT64 and AMD can't call hyperthreading something else?
  12. Because AMD don't have any sort SMT.
  13. Intel can call it anything because they are paying AMD lots of money to do it. AMD on the other hand has no use for "hyperthreading" ,,, or thats how I see it now anyway.
  14. Umm Intel don't pay AMD anything.
  15. You know I actually think you are right... if memory serves me correctly I think it was or should have been taken care of by the old x86 cross license agrement between intel & AMD.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Virtualization AMD