GPO setting for quick launch

Can anyone tell me if there are any GPO settings for XP or 2000 that can be
used to configure the quick launch bar?
We have an annoying re-occurance of the outlook icon in the quick launch
bar. It is possible to delete it manually, but it reappears as soon as
outlook is started.
5 answers Last reply
More about setting quick launch

    "Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me if there are any GPO settings for XP or 2000 that can
    be
    > used to configure the quick launch bar?

    You can practically always make (any) changes using a GPO
    through either the Administrative Templates (registry settings)
    section or through Windows Settings->Scripting by running
    a program.

    But for specific (pre-configuration) settings...

    I don't know but look for it in the User portion of the GPO
    since that is User specific generally. Any such settings
    will likely be in Administrative Templates.

    > We have an annoying re-occurrence of the outlook icon in the quick launch
    > bar. It is possible to delete it manually, but it reappears as soon as
    > outlook is started.

    Likely Outlook is too specific for a pre-set item.

    I believe the recurrence is a Registry setting but the files can
    be deleted with a (User) Logon Script that removes the .LNK files.

    This path (change) will find the files:

    cd /d %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
    Launch

    Deleting these two items would likely fix it (at least temporarily):
    Launch Microsoft Office Outlook.lnk
    Launch Outlook Express.lnk (unless you want OE)

    --
    Herb Martin

    Thanks for your reply.

    It's really the GPO setting that I'm after, I have looked through the User
    Administrative templates, but have not found it so far!

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > It's really the GPO setting that I'm after, I have looked through the User
    > Administrative templates, but have not found it so far!

    Those can be extended -- you might try the
    Office Administrators toolkit/web site.

    There are various ADM templates for extending
    the GPOs to manage some parts of Office.

    Perhaps what you need is in the samples or at least
    documented.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > "Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > > Can anyone tell me if there are any GPO settings for XP or 2000 that
    can
    > > be
    > > > used to configure the quick launch bar?
    > >
    > > You can practically always make (any) changes using a GPO
    > > through either the Administrative Templates (registry settings)
    > > section or through Windows Settings->Scripting by running
    > > a program.
    > >
    > > But for specific (pre-configuration) settings...
    > >
    > > I don't know but look for it in the User portion of the GPO
    > > since that is User specific generally. Any such settings
    > > will likely be in Administrative Templates.
    > >
    > > > We have an annoying re-occurrence of the outlook icon in the quick
    launch
    > > > bar. It is possible to delete it manually, but it reappears as soon
    as
    > > > outlook is started.
    > >
    > > Likely Outlook is too specific for a pre-set item.
    > >
    > > I believe the recurrence is a Registry setting but the files can
    > > be deleted with a (User) Logon Script that removes the .LNK files.
    > >
    > > This path (change) will find the files:
    > >
    > > cd /d %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
    > > Launch
    > >
    > > Deleting these two items would likely fix it (at least temporarily):
    > > Launch Microsoft Office Outlook.lnk
    > > Launch Outlook Express.lnk (unless you want OE)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin

    It should not re-appear every time you launch outlook - only the very first
    time that you create the profile for any new user when you configure the
    e-mail server settings.

    Are you using a standardized image for your client machines? If so, is the
    hidden default user profile in your image configured with this x-tra outlook
    icon in the quick launch bar? As you know, all new local profiles are using
    this profile as a template to create each new user profile on the client?

    Best Regards,

    John Powell

    "John Powell" <JohnPowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It should not re-appear every time you launch outlook - only the very
    first
    > time that you create the profile for any new user when you configure the
    > e-mail server settings.

    I think you will find that the Outlook icon is being
    produced by a registry setting so if you only remove
    the shortcut it WILL just return.

    One has to remove the registry setting.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Are you using a standardized image for your client machines? If so, is the
    > hidden default user profile in your image configured with this x-tra
    outlook
    > icon in the quick launch bar? As you know, all new local profiles are
    using
    > this profile as a template to create each new user profile on the client?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > John Powell
    >

    > "Jo Winchester" wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone tell me if there are any GPO settings for XP or 2000 that can
    be
    > > used to configure the quick launch bar?
    > > We have an annoying re-occurance of the outlook icon in the quick launch
    > > bar. It is possible to delete it manually, but it reappears as soon as
    > > outlook is started.

Outlook Quick Launch Active Directory Windows