Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI - at wits end

BubbaJon

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Man I've been building systems for over 15 years and have had nothing to come even close to this debacle. I've ordered this MB for use w/805D chip after getting excited about the overclocking article. I got backordered and runaround 6 times before I finally get one in my hands on the board and now I can't even get windows to install.
Haven't even attempted OC yet - just installed the parts and tried to get XP installed.
MSI 7600 nVidia card, 2x1gb OCZ PC6400 ram, Seagate 500gb SATAII Barracuda drive, 300gb Maxtor IDE, Zalman cooler.
Here's what's happening: Soon as Windows XP says "Starting Windows" (after formatting drive) I get the BSOD with some silly damned message that the BIOS isn't ACPI compliant. So I try the Shift F7 trick. Nada.
I swap out the video card for a plane-jane PCI-VGA and it won't even get past initial loading device drivers. Put the 7600 back in. Take out one mem stick. Same old crap. Anyone have any idea of WTF is going on here? It's my understanding this MB works great w/805D. Here are a few incidentals that may have relevance:
Use the Shift F1 to show advanced BIOS options (which BTW is really stupid to hide them to begin with). The BIOS does not show the enable hyperthreading option.
Second, it's my understanding that to get dual channel to work you have to install a stick in alternating slots - that won't let this thing even post. So I put them next to each other I get post. Trying to get an install I take one out but it seems to not care one way or another.
I take out the Sata drive and stick with the IDE drive on it's own controller. Still can't get anywhere past the "Starting Windows".
I hope some of you guys are up for suggestions - I'm tired of screwing with this thing and ready to go back to Athlon country - I need a whup-ass Photoshop machine and this thing has me at the end of patience.
Thanks!
Jon

BubbaJon

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I'll be dipped! I read around and found one reference to some guy saying he boosted the RAM voltage by +.1 volts. I figure what the heck...
Windows is actually copying files now. Too soon for a yee-haa but I do have a big grin! It also allowed to boot with a dual channel RAM configuration - re-reading the manual confirmed that alternating slots are how to activate dual channel.
Hope this helps spmeone...

BubbaJon

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Just wanted to update you folks in case someone else finds this helpful.
Running stable for over 72 hrs now overclocked to 3.6 Ghz. This puppy hauls butt.
I boosted the RAM & FSB voltage by .2 and the CPU core at 1.41. I am running the FSB at 710 and the RAM at 667.
CPU temperature with the Zalman stays stable at 38-39 C. I'm a pretty happy camper.
Regards,
Jon

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hey BubbaJon,

I'm running the same setup and I'm at 3.5Ghz with air cooling. Is your rig completely stable? What I mean is, does it start up and shut down normally every time? I've bumped the core volts up a bit but I haven't touched the ramm and my system does not boot over half the time I turn it on.

What kind of PSU do you have? I figured 500w would be more than enough for my rig but now I'm not so sure. Sometimes it works when everything is plugged in, and sometimes I have to unplug the fanbus (3 120mm fans) and then unplug/plug in the power cord to the PSU a bunch of times before I get a post.

Thanks,

Test

BubbaJon

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hey BubbaJon,

I'm running the same setup and I'm at 3.5Ghz with air cooling. Is your rig completely stable? What I mean is, does it start up and shut down normally every time? I've bumped the core volts up a bit but I haven't touched the ramm and my system does not boot over half the time I turn it on.

What kind of PSU do you have? I figured 500w would be more than enough for my rig but now I'm not so sure. Sometimes it works when everything is plugged in, and sometimes I have to unplug the fanbus (3 120mm fans) and then unplug/plug in the power cord to the PSU a bunch of times before I get a post.
Thanks,Test
Completely stable (still!) Starts, shutsdown and reboots with zero issues.
I have an Antec Sonata II case with a 450W powersupply and no issues.
I have teh Zahlman 9500 (I think) cooler and the fan seldom goes over 2,000 RPM. I have the RAM running at 800 Mhz after I bumped the voltage another 1oth for a total of .2 overvoltage on the RAM. The CPU is still the same. Very good performance!
Note my original issue above was teh RAM needed boosting - try that first.
Regards,
Jon