Back in the overclocking game!

Pyrex

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I need some advice from all the guys still in the mix on the most popular intel overclock setup at the moment. Last system I built was a 2.4C w/ Abit IC7-G @ 3.6GHz- wonderful system, best and longest in the game system I ever built, but the motherboard took a crap a month ago and I need to build another system. Is there any current mobo/cpu overclocking popular options available to me? If so do any of them utilize 3500 memory? I have soem Kingston HyperX I don't want to part with t keep my costs down. Let me know what is the current best option for me, or if I should re-invest in another IC7 mobo.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Right now, the most popular Intel overclocker is the Pentium D 805. There are a ton of other discussions that have already been stared about OCing this processor. Try looking through them to get ideas. Also take a look at he article on Tom's Hardware. I suggest whatever you do don't let this post turn into a long drawn out discussion about the 805 because other members will burn you at the stake. 8O It is just that there are so many other posts about it people are tried of seeing them. Just a bit of friendly advice. :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I need some advice from all the guys still in the mix on the most popular intel overclock setup at the moment. Last system I built was a 2.4C w/ Abit IC7-G @ 3.6GHz- wonderful system, best and longest in the game system I ever built, but the motherboard took a crap a month ago and I need to build another system. Is there any current mobo/cpu overclocking popular options available to me? If so do any of them utilize 3500 memory? I have soem Kingston HyperX I don't want to part with t keep my costs down. Let me know what is the current best option for me, or if I should re-invest in another IC7 mobo.
If you want to keep cost down, i'm sure you can find another s478 i875 or i865 board, and just pop it in. That's your cheapest route, and upgrading to a s775 board could leave you set up well for future upgrades, but you'll need a new mobo,RAM,CPU,Video Card, and possibly PSU. If you take this option and choose your mobo carefully, you could be looking at a Conroe setup, either on release...or down the road. GL :)