Login Scipts & GP problems

I am using windows 2003 server with all windows 2000 sp4 machines. My AD is
built in a structure that I use GP's. I have a VB script that run on login to
map my drives depending on the group memberships.
Now I have all my rights and everything is fine on my shares. Sometimes, i
have users that when they log in, they are missing a drive mapping. They are
in the proper group, if i do a GPresult, i can see what was ran and the
script was. If i open the share by using run, works fine, just didnt map at
logon. But some other days or maybe 2 or 3 restarts later, they get the
mapping. What can this be? Its not one particular user, it seems as I create
new shares and new memberships and modify my scripts., the problems start.
Can a script be too long??I doubt it..What i think is happening maybe is the
fact i use roaming profiles...maybe it has something to dow ith that..other
than that..i cant figure it out...any one else?

"josh lacroix" <joshlacroix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using windows 2003 server with all windows 2000 sp4 machines. My AD
is
> built in a structure that I use GP's. I have a VB script that run on login
> map my drives depending on the group memberships.

> Now I have all my rights and everything is fine on my shares.

"permissions" (probably); rights are something else

> Sometimes, i
> have users that when they log in, they are missing a drive mapping. They
are
> in the proper group, if i do a GPresult, i can see what was ran and the
> script was. If i open the share by using run, works fine, just didnt map
at
> logon. But some other days or maybe 2 or 3 restarts later, they get the
> mapping. What can this be? Its not one particular user, it seems as I
create
> new shares and new memberships and modify my scripts., the problems start.
> Can a script be too long??I doubt it..

Yes, but that is pretty long. You might also wish to make
sure to map the drives persistently -- this won't fix the problem
but it will likely hide it most of the time since once it works
the drives will stay mapped.

Default timeout is 10 minutes per GPO or per script -- the
docs are a little confusing on this and I have never measured.

> What i think is happening maybe is the
> fact i use roaming profiles...maybe it has something to dow ith
that..other
> than that..i cant figure it out...any one else?

Probably not.

Is it possible you are making assumptions about the
path or or environment settings?

Have you tried LOGGING the script file with @Echo
or print statements to a known file location so you can
see the results?

--
Herb Martin

Herb, Thanks for the reply so quick.

I did mean permissions on my share and on ntfs, also my script has all the
permissions.
Can you elaborate on this "You might also wish to make
sure to map the drives persistently " Maybe we are just not talking the same
terms.
What really burns me is the fact that As my users log off and back in, they
appear and disapear. So i know that isnt a permissions issue, almost like a
resolution issue or something.

> Herb, Thanks for the reply so quick.
>
> I did mean permissions on my share and on ntfs, also my script has all the
> permissions.
> Can you elaborate on this "You might also wish to make
> sure to map the drives persistently " Maybe we are just not talking the
same
> terms.

Well, you are doing the mapping in VB but from the command line
it is the default, and can be specified thusly:

net use M: \\ServerName\sharename /Persistent:YES

More useful from the command line might be /Persistent:No since
yes is the default

> What really burns me is the fact that As my users log off and back in,
they
> appear and disapear. So i know that isnt a permissions issue, almost like
> resolution issue or something.

I have been trying to work out a timing scenario where
the network is not fully enabled but it is difficult to make
the case since the network much work at least enough for
the Computer authentication, it's own GPO, and Startup
script if any, and for the user to authenticate, GPO etc.

Consider testing to see if a short delay after computer
boot avoids the problem. Perhaps the Workstation service
isn't initialized fully by the time the script runs....

The above it not fully supportable but it's an idea that might
get you thinking....

--
Herb Martin