Power Suppy Recommendation

jthunder

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Hi, I would like some recommendations on a decent powersupply. System specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Opteron 165 939 (clocked to 2.2ghz)
Mid-tower ATX Case (But looking at the Antec p180 as a replacement)
2 Case fans (80mm)
Zalman 7000
ATI X1600xt video card (this was a bad purchase)
2 optical drives (LG DL-DVDRW)
no floppy
~4-5 powered USB devices. (keyboard mouse, webcam, ipod.

Right now I have an antec truepower 350W, and I don't run into any problems with it but I'd like to know if you guys suggest replacing it with something better...

Oh yeah, I mostly do video encoding, so lots of constantly high cpu cycles and temps, I'd like to keep these in tow.

Thanks

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I actually don't think you'll have any problems but you can just try it.. if you don't have enough power then nothing bad will happen, you just won't be able to post or have other issues. If it's not good enough just buy a better one, make sure it's a good maker: Seasonic, Fortron, Antec, Thermaltake, Silverstone.. etc.

jthunder

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Well, I guess I should qualify my question, here is my issue right now:

My existing POS case is in my opinion keeping too much heat inside of the case, mb and system temps climb to ~45 on load. I would like to keep this down if possible.

Perhaps I should be looking for a more suitable case, that's why I had the P180 in there. Will I need to buy power cable extensions for the powersupply I already have?

Thnks

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Well, if it's hot inside then you might consider getting a new case though I don't think a newer PSU would hurt either. Try an online power supply calculator (Google it) to see what number it gives you with your set up.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Well, I guess I should qualify my question, here is my issue right now:

My existing POS case is in my opinion keeping too much heat inside of the case, mb and system temps climb to ~45 on load. I would like to keep this down if possible.

Perhaps I should be looking for a more suitable case, that's why I had the P180 in there. Will I need to buy power cable extensions for the powersupply I already have?

Thnks

Probably not, the antec cable length is generous.