Cannot trust domain

We have a 2 domains. One on our subnet and the other on a different domain on
another subnet. I cannot trust this domain I get domain cannot be contacted.
I have a WINS server here and their but still no luck. What should I be
looking at? Also I can ping the addresses but not the names. Please help.
Thanks.

"PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a 2 domains. One on our subnet and the other on a different domain
on
> another subnet. I cannot trust this domain I get domain cannot be
contacted.
> I have a WINS server here and their but still no luck. What should I be
> looking at? Also I can ping the addresses but not the names. Please help.
> Thanks.

External trusts are usually a NetBIOS name resolution
problem (not DNS) and you are correct that you need
the WINS servers since you have multiple subnets (i.e.,
broadcasts cannot resolve the NetBIOS names.)

Since you have the WINS servers there are two likely
possibilities:

1) All the DCs in each domain much be themselves
WINS clients (NIC->IP advanced properties)

2) The (multiple) WINS servers are not replicating

--
Herb Martin

Sounds like you have some DNS problems. Are these two domains in different
forests? I suspect they might be. If so, try creating a secondary DNS zone
for domain 1 on domain 2's DNS server and also create a secondary DNS zone
for domain 2 on domain 1's DNS server.

"PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a 2 domains. One on our subnet and the other on a different domain
> on
> another subnet. I cannot trust this domain I get domain cannot be
> contacted.
> I have a WINS server here and their but still no luck. What should I be
> looking at? Also I can ping the addresses but not the names. Please help.
> Thanks.

Ensure that the 1B records exsits for both domains in the respective WINS
databases. If not, add these records. If one of the domains does not utlizie
a Wins server add the record to the lmhost file on each of the DC's. That
should correct your problems once these records exsist.

Example:

10.134.128.46 domain_contoller_netbios_name_here #PRE #DOM:Domain_name Here

10.134.128.46 "Domain_name_here \0x1b" #PRE

Ensure that thier is exactly "8" spaces between the last letter of the
netbios name of your domain on the second line or this will not work.

Regards,

John Powell

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> "PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a 2 domains. One on our subnet and the other on a different domain
> on
> > another subnet. I cannot trust this domain I get domain cannot be
> contacted.
> > I have a WINS server here and their but still no luck. What should I be
> > looking at? Also I can ping the addresses but not the names. Please help.
> > Thanks.
>
> External trusts are usually a NetBIOS name resolution
> problem (not DNS) and you are correct that you need
> the WINS servers since you have multiple subnets (i.e.,
> broadcasts cannot resolve the NetBIOS names.)
>
> Since you have the WINS servers there are two likely
> possibilities:
>
> 1) All the DCs in each domain much be themselves
> WINS clients (NIC->IP advanced properties)
>
> 2) The (multiple) WINS servers are not replicating
>

> --
> Herb Martin

I could have been a little more clearer on the the last statment about the 8
character spaces and is it turn out, my memory served me incorectly- Follow
these instructions from the link below - this will expalin the character
limitations on the 1B record creation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180094

Best Regards,

John Powell

"John Powell" <JohnPowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I could have been a little more clearer on the the last statment about the
8
> character spaces and is it turn out, my memory served me incorectly-
Follow
> these instructions from the link below - this will expalin the character
> limitations on the 1B record creation.

The key is that ALL (every single one) NetBIOS
name ever used is 16 characters exactly.**

The x1b or whatever represents 1 character, the
hex code for the service being registered.

So take the name, pad with enough spaces so that
the hex code on the end will make 16 exactly.

**Yes, technically "computer names" (and users
or domain/workgroup names) are not NetBIOS
names but rather are used by the system to FORM
the NetBIOS name which it registers on the
Network.

Ok, it's a NetBIOS programmer's thing <grin>

--
Herb Martin

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180094
>

> Best Regards,
>

> John Powell
>

> "John Powell" wrote:
>
> > Ensure that the 1B records exsits for both domains in the respective
WINS
> > databases. If not, add these records. If one of the domains does not
utlizie
> > a Wins server add the record to the lmhost file on each of the DC's.
That
> > should correct your problems once these records exsist.
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > 10.134.128.46 domain_contoller_netbios_name_here #PRE #DOM:Domain_name
Here

> > 10.134.128.46 "Domain_name_here \0x1b" #PRE
> >
> > Ensure that thier is exactly "8" spaces between the last letter of the
> > netbios name of your domain on the second line or this will not work.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > John Powell
> >
> > "Herb Martin" wrote:
> >
> > > "PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > on
> > > contacted.
> > >
> > > External trusts are usually a NetBIOS name resolution
> > > problem (not DNS) and you are correct that you need
> > > the WINS servers since you have multiple subnets (i.e.,
> > > broadcasts cannot resolve the NetBIOS names.)
> > >
> > > Since you have the WINS servers there are two likely
> > > possibilities:
> > >
> > > 1) All the DCs in each domain much be themselves
> > > WINS clients (NIC->IP advanced properties)
> > >
> > > 2) The (multiple) WINS servers are not replicating
> > >

> > > --
> > > Herb Martin

Thanks guys, I fixed all the LMHosts files now I am able to ping this (DC of
the other Subnet) by the NetBios name and get to it through the UNC path. But
I still do not see the domain in Network connections.

How can I check if the WINS servers are replicating or not? I looked at the
statistics on our side and it says it found 15 records , some conflicts etc.
Thanks!

> Thanks guys, I fixed all the LMHosts files now I am able to ping this (DC
of
> the other Subnet) by the NetBios name and get to it through the UNC path.
But
> I still do not see the domain in Network connections.

There is no reason to use LMHosts files if you also
have WINS Server(s).

Make every machine a WINS client of the same WINS
datatabase and you will not need the LMHosts files --
this is like Hosts file vs. DNS servers (same relationship.)

Same WINS database == same WINS server OR a replicating set
of WINS servers

> How can I check if the WINS servers are replicating or not? I looked at
the
> statistics on our side and it says it found 15 records , some conflicts
etc.

Use the WINS Server MMC to inspect them. And if you
haven't used that then they are NOT replicating by default.

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks!
>
> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "John Powell" <JohnPowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I could have been a little more clearer on the the last statment about
the
> > 8
> > > character spaces and is it turn out, my memory served me incorectly-
> > Follow
> > > these instructions from the link below - this will expalin the
character
> > > limitations on the 1B record creation.
> >

> > The key is that ALL (every single one) NetBIOS
> > name ever used is 16 characters exactly.**
> >
> > The x1b or whatever represents 1 character, the
> > hex code for the service being registered.
> >
> > So take the name, pad with enough spaces so that
> > the hex code on the end will make 16 exactly.
> >
> > **Yes, technically "computer names" (and users
> > or domain/workgroup names) are not NetBIOS
> > names but rather are used by the system to FORM
> > the NetBIOS name which it registers on the
> > Network.
> >
> > Ok, it's a NetBIOS programmer's thing <grin>
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180094
> > >

> > > Best Regards,
> > >

> > > John Powell

> > WINS
> > utlizie
> > That

> > Here

> > domain
> > be
Please
> > help.

Yes, I've been using the MMC. But unless I put the domain name , DC as a
static mapping it doesn't come up automatically. Is it suppose to come up
automatically or do I have to put in the static mappings of the DC on the
other subnet. Right now all I see is our domain and our DC not theirs. Thanks.

> Yes, I've been using the MMC. But unless I put the domain name , DC as a
> static mapping it doesn't come up automatically. Is it suppose to come up
> automatically or do I have to put in the static mappings of the DC on the
> other subnet. Right now all I see is our domain and our DC not theirs.
Thanks.

You probably didn't make the DC a WINS CLIENT.

Servers are NAME RESOLUTION CLIENTS too.

Especially when you want dynamic registration, such
as WINS or Dynamic DNS.

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks guys, I fixed all the LMHosts files now I am able to ping this
(DC
> > of
> > > the other Subnet) by the NetBios name and get to it through the UNC
path.
> > But
> > > I still do not see the domain in Network connections.
> >
> > There is no reason to use LMHosts files if you also
> > have WINS Server(s).
> >
> > Make every machine a WINS client of the same WINS
> > datatabase and you will not need the LMHosts files --
> > this is like Hosts file vs. DNS servers (same relationship.)
> >
> > Same WINS database == same WINS server OR a replicating set
> > of WINS servers
> >
> > > How can I check if the WINS servers are replicating or not? I looked
at
> > the
> > > statistics on our side and it says it found 15 records , some
conflicts
> > etc.
> >
> > Use the WINS Server MMC to inspect them. And if you
> > haven't used that then they are NOT replicating by default.
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > Thanks!

> > the
> > character

DC's.

> > #DOM:Domain_name

> > the
> > work.

> > different
> > be
> > should I
> > Please

Thanks but I did that, I've done that. Now what?
So what you are saying is they should come up automatically when I do the
"find by name *"since they are WINS clients, I shouldn't have to put static
enteries into the WINS MMC? Not working, what else?

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> "PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I've been using the MMC. But unless I put the domain name , DC as a
> > static mapping it doesn't come up automatically. Is it suppose to come up
> > automatically or do I have to put in the static mappings of the DC on the
> > other subnet. Right now all I see is our domain and our DC not theirs.
> Thanks.
> >

> You probably didn't make the DC a WINS CLIENT.
>
> Servers are NAME RESOLUTION CLIENTS too.
>
> Especially when you want dynamic registration, such
> as WINS or Dynamic DNS.
>
> --
> Herb Martin
>

> > "Herb Martin" wrote:
> >
> > > "PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> (DC
> > > of
> path.
> > > But
> > >
> > > There is no reason to use LMHosts files if you also
> > > have WINS Server(s).
> > >
> > > Make every machine a WINS client of the same WINS
> > > datatabase and you will not need the LMHosts files --
> > > this is like Hosts file vs. DNS servers (same relationship.)
> > >
> > > Same WINS database == same WINS server OR a replicating set
> > > of WINS servers

> at
> > > the
> conflicts
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Use the WINS Server MMC to inspect them. And if you
> > > haven't used that then they are NOT replicating by default.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Herb Martin

> message
> about
> > > the
> incorectly-
> > > character

> respective
> not
> DC's.

> > > #DOM:Domain_name

> of
> > > the
> > > work.

> > > different
> cannot
> > > be
> > > should I
> > > Please

OK I got it. Basically it was not coming through because the "replicate only
with partners" was on. Since it was seeing the firewall address and NOT the
actual WINS server address here, it would reject it. Thanks a lot for you
help. Now I will try the trust and see what happens.

> Thanks but I did that, I've done that. Now what?
> So what you are saying is they should come up automatically when I do the
> "find by name *"since they are WINS clients, I shouldn't have to put
static
> enteries into the WINS MMC? Not working, what else?

If they have SHARES that do not end in a dollar$ sign
they should.

If the servers and the clients are all WINS clients, and
the if all of your WINS servers replicate then yes, they
will see the servers which offer (non-hidden$) shares.

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, I've been using the MMC. But unless I put the domain name , DC as
> > > static mapping it doesn't come up automatically. Is it suppose to come
up
> > > automatically or do I have to put in the static mappings of the DC on
the
> > > other subnet. Right now all I see is our domain and our DC not theirs.
> > Thanks.
> > >

> > You probably didn't make the DC a WINS CLIENT.
> >
> > Servers are NAME RESOLUTION CLIENTS too.
> >
> > Especially when you want dynamic registration, such
> > as WINS or Dynamic DNS.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin

> > (DC
UNC
> > path.

> > at
> > conflicts

> > message
> > about
> > incorectly-

> > respective
> > not
> > DC's.

> > of

> > cannot
What

Ok, I answered the other note before reading this
one.

Let us know how you do....

--
Herb Martin

> OK I got it. Basically it was not coming through because the "replicate
only
> with partners" was on. Since it was seeing the firewall address and NOT
the
> actual WINS server address here, it would reject it. Thanks a lot for you
> help. Now I will try the trust and see what happens.
>
> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "PBJ" <PBJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, I've been using the MMC. But unless I put the domain name , DC as
> > > static mapping it doesn't come up automatically. Is it suppose to come
up
> > > automatically or do I have to put in the static mappings of the DC on
the
> > > other subnet. Right now all I see is our domain and our DC not theirs.
> > Thanks.
> > >

> > You probably didn't make the DC a WINS CLIENT.
> >
> > Servers are NAME RESOLUTION CLIENTS too.
> >
> > Especially when you want dynamic registration, such
> > as WINS or Dynamic DNS.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin

> > (DC
UNC
> > path.

> > at
> > conflicts

> > message
> > about
> > incorectly-

> > respective
> > not
> > DC's.

> > of

> > cannot
What

Herb, now I see their domain in Network connections but their is nothing in
their, no DC's and no workstations, why not?
Shouldn't I atleast see the DC's? Also I don't have to go to each PC to
enable WINS, do I? can't I just point the DNS server to the WINS server
address? Thanks

> Herb, now I see their domain in Network connections but their is nothing
in
> their, no DC's and no workstations, why not?
> Shouldn't I atleast see the DC's? Also I don't have to go to each PC to
> enable WINS, do I?

Possibly, but have you actually SHARED any resources?

Servers (in this sense it includes workstations that offer
shares) do not appear unless they offer some non-hidden
shares....

> can't I just point the DNS server to the WINS server
> address?

What would that accomplish?

In general, all of your machines need to be WINS
clients, including the DCs and even the WINS server
itself.

This is largely separate and distinct from DNS.

--
Herb Martin