Epson print head needs thorough cleaning

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 19, 2005 2:54:53 PM

My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:03:58 PM

Are you now and have you always used Epson OEM ink? If not what is the
source (label) of your ink?

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:03:59 PM

For the record - I only use Epson inks.

news:o Z99e.882$zX7.283@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Are you now and have you always used Epson OEM ink? If not what is the
> source (label) of your ink?
>
> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
>>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
>>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

Related resources
April 19, 2005 8:18:18 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:54:53 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:

>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

It has been explained dozens if not hundreds of times in this NG
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:18:19 PM

I would appreciate it if you would go over this with me - since I've never
been in this group before. Thanks.........

"pete" <pete@maildox.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:54:53 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
>>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
>>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........
>>

> It has been explained dozens if not hundreds of times in this NG
April 19, 2005 9:02:21 PM

Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.
Inkjet printers have the potential to get clogged heads with their own brand
inks as well as with quality aftermarket inks. The two major issues are 1)
the quality of the aftermarket inks and cartridges and 2) the frequency with
which you print. In addition, there is always some buildup of dried ink on
the underside of printheads that can sometimes cause clogs with months or
years of normal, regular use. Email Arthur Entlich and ask him for his free
informative instructions on clearing Epson head clogs. his email address is
artistic@telus.net

"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
> software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
> alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:34:17 PM

Burt wrote:

>Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.

Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks. It is
quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have print
head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of them
here.

>Inkjet printers have the potential to get clogged heads with their own brand
>inks as well as with quality aftermarket inks. The two major issues are 1)
>the quality of the aftermarket inks and cartridges and 2) the frequency with
>which you print.

I have never read in either the Epson, Canon, or HP manual that in order
to prevent head clogs you must print and use ink frequently (what ever
that means).

>In addition, there is always some buildup of dried ink on
>the underside of printheads that can sometimes cause clogs with months or
>years of normal, regular use. Email Arthur Entlich and ask him for his free
>informative instructions on clearing Epson head clogs. his email address is
>artistic@telus.net
>
>"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
>>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
>>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:54:13 PM

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.
>
> Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
> head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks.

How did you get to 90%? And, remember only a very very small fraction of
people with printers know what Usenet is....

> It is quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have
> print head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of
> them here.

No, the fact is that by far the vast majority of people using 3rd party inks
NEVER have a head clog issue that can't be resolved by a simply head clean,
in EXACTLY the same way as people who always use OEM inks get the odd minor
ink clog too.

Do you really think there would be such a large market for 3rd party inks if
all they did was clog your printer up?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:33:33 PM

On 19-Apr-2005, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:

> >>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
> >>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
> >>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

You may need Epson's service utility for your model.
It will have several different cleaning options,
including initial charge with a nice red "This will use a third of your ink,
are you sure?" warning. There is a black only option. It also shows
and allows setting/resetting of the counters, adjustment of head angle,
and the like. In passing you may need a DOS 6.22 machine set for
ANSI support to run it, otherwise you see masses of escape codes,
and it doesn't run. Most Epson models have service utilities.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 12:31:34 AM

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>Measkite always tries to blame printer head clogs on third party inks.
>>>

>>Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
>>head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks.
>>

>How did you get to 90%? And, remember only a very very small fraction of
>people with printers know what Usenet is....

I took a sample over a month and counted. It is true that most of the
people with printers do not know what Usenet is, however, the majority
use OEM inks. For if they didn't. they would not be able to use the
Gillette Razor marketing model.

>>It is quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have
>>print head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of
>>them here.
>>

>No, the fact is that by far the vast majority of people using 3rd party inks
>NEVER have a head clog issue that can't be resolved by a simply head clean,
>in EXACTLY the same way as people who always use OEM inks get the odd minor
>ink clog too.
>
>Do you really think there would be such a large market for 3rd party inks if
>all they did was clog your printer up?

The market for after market inks is relatively small when compared to
the dollars of OEM ink that is being sold.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:55:17 AM

> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Do the math. Over 90% of the people in this NG who have noted printer
>>>head clogs are currently using or have used aftermarket inks.
>>>

>>How did you get to 90%? And, remember only a very very small fraction of
>>people with printers know what Usenet is....
>>

> I took a sample over a month and counted. It is true that most of the
> people with printers do not know what Usenet is, however, the majority use
> OEM inks. For if they didn't. they would not be able to use the Gillette
> Razor marketing model.

Why not? Considering that OEM inks are sometimes 10 times the price of 3rd
party inks, it only takes one in 10 buyers of a printer to use OEM inks to
sustain the market. I doubt any printer is sold at an actual loss to the
manufacturer.

>>>It is quite easy to figure that out. And while it is possible to have
>>>print head clogs with OEM inks, the fact is you do not hear from many of
>>>them here.
>>>

>>No, the fact is that by far the vast majority of people using 3rd party
>>inks NEVER have a head clog issue that can't be resolved by a simply head
>>clean, in EXACTLY the same way as people who always use OEM inks get the
>>odd minor ink clog too.
>>
>>Do you really think there would be such a large market for 3rd party inks
>>if all they did was clog your printer up?
>>

> The market for after market inks is relatively small when compared to the
> dollars of OEM ink that is being sold.

Try geting out to a shop one of these days - here in the UK trying to find
an OEM cartridge amongst the masses of 3rd party's is like finding gold dust
in a haystack.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:35:59 AM

Email me and request my free Epson Cleaning Manual via private email
using my email address in the header. No spam, no cost, nothing to
sell you. Please tell me the model number, the exact problem you see
and what kind of inks you are using. Don't use alcohol by itself, it
doesn't work well.

Never continue cleaning cycles after the third try. If that doesn't do
it, you need to use another technique.

Besides wasting a heck of a lot of ink (from the other colors) and
possibly lowering the ink monitor numbers on the black as well, it just
floods the waste ink pads and cleaning station with ink.

Art

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
> software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
> alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:39:11 AM

Not only is that NOT correct, because I have yet to see a fully correct
set of instructions posted by anyone (my manual is nearly 30 pages long
now) and in fact, I would say I have seen more incorrect or at least
potentially dangerous methods than correct ones on this NG, but the
information in the NG is not well archived for most people.

Art

pete wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:54:53 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
>>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
>>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........
>>

> It has been explained dozens if not hundreds of times in this NG
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:43:37 AM

Bobby, unless you want to feed this guy ammunition for him to go on and
on for days about his weak assumptions about 3rd party inks, I wouldn't
answer his request.

He will generalize anything he is told and make it a new "truth".

If you email me privately, I will try to help you get to the bottom of
the problem and help you resolve it.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Are you now and have you always used Epson OEM ink? If not what is the
> source (label) of your ink?
>
> +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
>
>> My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the
>> driver software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another
>> way using alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:48:01 AM

Epson suggests printing at least once a week. It does help to limit
clogs although I have some Epson printers that sit for months and months
and work on first trial. It seems to depend upon the parking on the
cleaning station and if the rubber dam gets damaged or distorted, or if
the head builds up a lot of ink under it.

Art

measekite wrote:

> I have never read in either the Epson, Canon, or HP manual that in order
> to prevent head clogs you must print and use ink frequently (what ever
> that means).

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:54:42 AM

Hi Bobby,

Please do not take Pete's comments to heart. He tends to be rude to
most people, and his posts tend to mainly be of that nature and rarely
helpful. It's his "thing". Regulars here take it in stride. Actually,
on very rare occasions, he adds some content of value.

Can't recall the last time however...

Art

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> I would appreciate it if you would go over this with me - since I've never
> been in this group before. Thanks.........
>

> "pete" <pete@maildox.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:54:53 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>My Black print head needs cleaning which I have tried (using the driver
>>>software) about a dozen times. Still dirty. Is there another way using
>>>alcohol so I don't continue to waste ink? Thanks.........
>>>

>>It has been explained dozens if not hundreds of times in this NG

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:57:28 AM

Do not do this. It will waste a lot of ink and probably not resolve the
problem.

Please email me.

Jeez... the advice here is beginning to really become pooled ignorance
of late.

Art

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:

> You may need Epson's service utility for your model.
> It will have several different cleaning options,
> including initial charge with a nice red "This will use a third of your ink,
> are you sure?" warning. There is a black only option. It also shows
> and allows setting/resetting of the counters, adjustment of head angle,
> and the like. In passing you may need a DOS 6.22 machine set for
> ANSI support to run it, otherwise you see masses of escape codes,
> and it doesn't run. Most Epson models have service utilities.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 7:06:50 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Epson suggests printing at least once a week.

Why should you have to print something you do not need and waste ink to
keep a printer that has some faults in its design from clogging. I have
used my HP for many years and left it idle for months at a time and
never had head clogging. While expensive, the HP design (even though I
do not like the concept of TriColor carts) is probably the best of all
printers when it comes to print head clogging.

I am hoping my Canon print head lasts. But from what I read on this NG,
Epson by far has the most problems of any of the 3 printers when it
comes head clogging. And the majority of cases the people just happen
to use after market ink or have used them in the past. That is
unfortunate because I like Epson as a company and I enjoy my Epson
Scanner. I purchased that over the Canon because I felt it was better.

I want to make something perfectly clear. I do not use after market
inks because my print load does not warrant any risk. If and when my
print load rises where it is economically justifiable to try a 3rd party
product I would most likely sample Sensinent Formulabs BRANDED and
Manufactured inks from a reseller that I feel is professional and
represents themselves that way. I would most likely start with
prefilled carts and use those until they are no longer economically
justifiable. At that time there is the issue to investigate the quality
of the cartridges themselves.

> It does help to limit clogs although I have some Epson printers that
> sit for months and months and work on first trial. It seems to depend
> upon the parking on the cleaning station and if the rubber dam gets
> damaged or distorted, or if the head builds up a lot of ink under it.

Why do Epson printers have all these probems?

> Art
>
> measekite wrote:
>

>> I have never read in either the Epson, Canon, or HP manual that in
>> order to prevent head clogs you must print and use ink frequently
>> (what ever that means).

June 29, 2012 2:39:04 PM

I just discovered how to unclog my Epson Stylus C88+ink head nozzles!!!! YAY!! FINALLY!!!

I had ordered the wrong ink so while I returned those and waited for the new inks the nozzles of my yellow and magenta became clogged. I tried a thousand head cleaning cycles and switched 2 different new ink cartridges (recycled third party inks- much cheaper) still clogged. ugh!

After reading other people's attempts to solve this very problem I tried an experiment of my own:

I took out all the ink cartridges and used a Q-tip dipped in alcohol and blobbed the tip of the 2 nozzles, the magenta and yellow with generous amounts of alcohol. I then used a syringe, (the cheap plastic kind you get with medicine for squirting the medicine into babies mouths), it does not have a needle. The opening of the tip of the syringe is just large enough to fit over the tip of the ink nozzle and also cover the tiny holes where the ink goes through, or gets clogged.

The generous application of the alcohol was able to soften the clog. Then I placed syringe over the tip of the magenta ink nozzle with the plunger of the syringe all the way in so a suction can be created, while keeping a firm pressure of the syringe against the tip of that nozzle, pull the plunger of the syringe up quickly! This should release the clog, you will know because some alcohol diluted ink should come up into the syringe!!! YAY SUCCESS!!!

I don't know where to purchase these type of syringes I had one left over from when the kids were small.

I hope this explanation is clear and does not seem too complicated it really is very simple. I hope it works for those of you who have had the same problem as I. I hastily ordered a new printer but I will just keep that one for when this one finally does croaks and I can not fix it, it will be my 4th epson c88+.

!