How do I remove AD when the Dir Srvc will not start.

I've got a checksum error on the AD on the W2k DC of my test network
(possibly due to harddisk controller problem) which results in a lsass system
error at startup. I can't recover, repair or restore so I would like to
remove AD and re-install it. When I try to use the wizard from "W2k cnfg yr
srvr" to do this, it refuses because I'm running in safe (DSR) mode. It
wants to be in normal mode but normal mode won't work because AD is broke and
it wants to be in DSR mode.
Catch 0x000000022
If anyone can figure out a way of fixing this I'd sure appreciate it.

Stefan

There is one way to recover without reloading the OS.

In DS restore mode, modify the following registry value.
HKLM\system\CCS\control\productoptions
ProductType REG_SZ LanmanNT

Change "LanmanNT" to "ServerNT" without the quotes and using the exact case.

Reboot the server.
It will boot into normal mode as a 'member server'.

Basically this fakes out Windows into thinking it is a member server.
However, there are 'DC' registry settings that need to be cleaned up.

You accomplish this by running DCPROMO into a fake temporary domain.
Then demote it.

At this point you have a workgroup server which you can place back into your
test network as a DC (be sure to perform metadata cleanup of the old DC in
your test domain prior to doing this KB216498)

--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"stefanT" <stefanT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got a checksum error on the AD on the W2k DC of my test network
> (possibly due to harddisk controller problem) which results in a lsass
> system
> error at startup. I can't recover, repair or restore so I would like to
> remove AD and re-install it. When I try to use the wizard from "W2k cnfg
> yr
> srvr" to do this, it refuses because I'm running in safe (DSR) mode. It
> wants to be in normal mode but normal mode won't work because AD is broke
> and
> it wants to be in DSR mode.
> Catch 0x000000022
> If anyone can figure out a way of fixing this I'd sure appreciate it.
>
> Stefan

Thanks, the registry change worked fine.
I'm not sure about running DCPROMO into a fake temporary domain though.
Could you explain how to do this?

Stefan

"Glenn L" wrote:

> There is one way to recover without reloading the OS.
>
> In DS restore mode, modify the following registry value.
> HKLM\system\CCS\control\productoptions
> ProductType REG_SZ LanmanNT
>
> Change "LanmanNT" to "ServerNT" without the quotes and using the exact case.
>
> Reboot the server.
> It will boot into normal mode as a 'member server'.
>
> Basically this fakes out Windows into thinking it is a member server.
> However, there are 'DC' registry settings that need to be cleaned up.
>
> You accomplish this by running DCPROMO into a fake temporary domain.
> Then demote it.
>
> At this point you have a workgroup server which you can place back into your
> test network as a DC (be sure to perform metadata cleanup of the old DC in
> your test domain prior to doing this KB216498)
>

> --
> Glenn L
> CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security
>
> "stefanT" <stefanT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've got a checksum error on the AD on the W2k DC of my test network
> > (possibly due to harddisk controller problem) which results in a lsass
> > system
> > error at startup. I can't recover, repair or restore so I would like to
> > remove AD and re-install it. When I try to use the wizard from "W2k cnfg
> > yr
> > srvr" to do this, it refuses because I'm running in safe (DSR) mode. It
> > wants to be in normal mode but normal mode won't work because AD is broke
> > and
> > it wants to be in DSR mode.
> > Catch 0x000000022
> > If anyone can figure out a way of fixing this I'd sure appreciate it.
> >
> > Stefan

It's OK. I found the details in KB/332199. Just got to clean up the meta as
per KB/216498 and we're on the road again.

Thanks for your help.

Stefan