Sign in with
Your question

Is Creative Labs getting out of the sound card business?

Last response: in Components
June 30, 2006 8:20:45 PM

Seems like creative used to pop out new and improved sound cards just about every year. The XFI is pretty much damaged goods from all the reviews I've read - a very good start but not a finished card. I felt the same way about the audigy but then they released the audigy 2 and it took care of many of those concerns. They had rumors about the audigy 2 out at least 6 months before it was in our filthy little hands.

I've read nothing about the XFI2 and the XFI has been out a LONG time. I've read nothing about their efforts on a PCI Express card either. Years ago at Comdex they were spouting off about how much better their cards would be on the next PCI slot due to seperation/throughput/isolation. Right now they don't even have one in the rumor mill - actually I've seen nothing in the rumor mill.

I have read about a new MP3 player from Creative just about every 6 months though. I'm guessing they pulled everyone from their sound card department and are focused only on MP3 players now.

Creative used to make top notch sound cards that were always AT LEAST twice as good as what you could get on any motherboard - now they've rested for so long the gap is getting much closer. I'm wondering if ATI or nVidia might want to consider making premium gaming/HTPC cards.
June 30, 2006 9:02:37 PM

Well, I'm not aware of any issues with the X-Fi cards myself. I have been using an X-Fi Fatality since December and it works flawlessly for me - games and encoding. The DVDs I play sound excellent. For me, it was a good investment.
June 30, 2006 9:34:30 PM

Creative X-Fi 1 year ago (summer 2005)
*Audigy 4 Pro 1 1/2 years ago (2004)*
Audigy 2 ZS 3 years ago (2003)
Audigy 2 4 years ago (2002)
Audigy 6 years ago (2000)

Going by this product cycle, it looks like it should take at least 1 more year before an X-Fi replacement comes.

There was a 2 year lapse between the Audigy and Audigy 2, and a 3 year lapse before the Audigy 2 was outright replaced. So following the previous product cycles, anytime from 2007-2008 would be a realistic goal.
Related resources
June 30, 2006 9:49:25 PM

IMO, the X-Fi is still a great card with powerful DSP that has no peers (if you're into sound effects). It is, however, not the only kid on the block and is not the King Kong of sound cards that SoundBlasters used to be. Don't be mislead by what you read however. The X-Fi, IMO, is like the F-22 of consumer sound cards. How much an advantage its supposed stealth is...remains debatable in a world of Typhoons, F-15E's ultramaneuvable Migs. Is it the best? Maybe. Is it worth the high cost however? ...that is the debate people seem to have with the X-Fi. ...and it depends on how you define "the best".

...a loose and debatable comparison, but it kind of highlights the point. The X-Fi is nice but are its features necessary and worthy of its cost. I don't think Creative really needs to try to replace the X-Fi now in terms of its raw sound quality, and I believe they realize this. Heck, an X-Fi doesn't sound $100 better than an SB Live! IMO. The vast majority of customers are not ready for PCI-Express solutions, and thus the market doesn't call for it...yet, IMO.
June 30, 2006 10:23:54 PM

Quote:
i think your talking rubbish frankly and don't deem you worthy of serious discussion.

I'm tired, that likely has something to do with my rubbish.
June 30, 2006 10:29:44 PM

Creative labs has is not getting out of the card business, technically the problem is that there's not too much space to grow to at this moment, they have been testing pci express slot based sound cards and it was a big flop, the cards weren't getting enough bandwich or power since most was going to video card, I think they are either working on pci express cards or waiting for game developers to start including x-ram so that when they make a new line they become a worthy feature. Personally don't think PCI express is too good for sound, but I could be wrong, thats what a lot of ppl thought about pci express graphic cards and look where we at now.
June 30, 2006 10:37:58 PM

Halcyon,

While I don't think the X-FI is a bad, card, I don't think it is where it could be. The audigy wasn't a bad card either but the audigy2zs I have stands head an shoulders over it. But my card has occassional pops and crackles (yes I have the latest OS, Drivers, patches for all games, EVERYTHING). From what I hear this is so prevalent in the more advanced games for the X-FI I wouldn't consider putting one on my next PC. I've read several people have switched back from their X-FI to an audigy 2zs. That doesn't mean that EVERY app has issues with the XFI vs. the audigy but it is commonplace enough that it is a known issue. I think it is time for them to tweak the X-FI- not necessarily add more audio processing power but perhaps resolve all the cracks, pops, perhaps even add HDMI.
June 30, 2006 10:39:39 PM

perhapes becos of the mp3 player war with apple hurt them financially. their stocks isnt' doin v.well for sometime

meanwhile i guess they are waiting for newgen hardware/software to mature so they can come out with something exciting.

their r too carried with their mp3 player line biz rather then sound card, lack of sound card competation i guess...even though mr sim invented the sound card....
June 30, 2006 10:42:52 PM

You're reading far too much into a non-situation.

Why in hell would they jump out of the sound card business when Apple and Sony are leaders in the MP3 market, and other than their Zen players they don't make any products (excluding speakers) that are nearly as successful as their sound card range - a business that they have set the industry standard for....well, forever!
June 30, 2006 11:00:47 PM

emm could it be comming out something special new hardware delaying for crossing over into the living room . super home entertainment... sound system so good until u can hear actors fart in the scene
June 30, 2006 11:04:32 PM

Quote:
i think your talking rubbish frankly and don't deem you worthy of serious discussion.

you do realize he was talking to boe, not you
June 30, 2006 11:31:55 PM

creative is going through really tuff times.

after their shit quarter, they are disputing vs apple.

i tried to get a Creative Zen Vision from them, through an employee, and i waited 2 months then finally gave up
July 1, 2006 1:29:22 AM

Quote:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  theres only so much they can do with audio right now.
until chips are made to take sampling frequencies higher,they are at a stalemate,why produce a new card with no improvements?.

I would consider a card without any snap crackle or pop in many games a definite improvement. If done properly, a pci express card could be an improvement. One with an HDMI interface would be an improvement some might be interested in.
July 1, 2006 1:43:30 AM

Quote:
not every one gets the sound defects,if you didnt rma thats your bag.
I have owned an audigy 2 platinum for over 2 years and never had a problem.
yeah,added features would be good ,but does it justify a new card?

So do you have an XFI? Have you played FEAR, Battlefield 2, WoW with it? Go to their support pages - well documented. Because the games (if any) you play don't have this issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I support many clients - one of them is a GAMING company. We got a few X-FI's and no longer use them on game demonstration systems because of this issue. This isn't about returning defective ones - this is a DESIGN FLAW. Do a google search - this is not an isolated issue but well documented. There is even an online petition regarding this. This occurs occassionally even with the Audigy 2zs but not nearly as often and is one of the better cards out ther so that is what I use for that client. I would like the processing power for more voices with the X-FI but we can't be demoing a game with what sounds like an old record playing in the background.
July 1, 2006 1:57:56 AM

I play FEAR and Doom 3 with the X-FI and I've never had any issues with them. Perhaps people have had issues with the X-Fi and certain games but I have yet to experience anything that could be considered negative about the card. I've been using Creative cards since way back to the Sounblaster 16 days and they've always done well for me.

I agree with verndewd, if people had issues with the hardware and didn't rma it and just compained its on them.
July 1, 2006 2:11:05 AM

Quote:
what kind of percentages of failure are you suggesting?honestly i have never heard of this before,and i feel i have read a bit about it,and kept in touch with user reviews.

I want to be clear - I'm not saying it happens continously in those games or that it happens in all games. It is a known issue in several games - does not happen (as far as I know) with CD playback, mp3 playback etc. Again I'd suggest you read the support forums for those games or just do a google search on snap or crackle or static and any of those game titles. Do a search for online petitions - I'm not making this stuff up. I've also tried it with various video cards and drivers, and motherboards, there is a design flaw in the card or the drivers as this does not happen as frequently with the Audigy 2.

So do you have an X-FI?
July 1, 2006 2:14:12 AM

Quote:
I play FEAR and Doom 3 with the X-FI and I've never had any issues with them. Perhaps people have had issues with the X-Fi and certain games but I have yet to experience anything that could be considered negative about the card. I've been using Creative cards since way back to the Sounblaster 16 days and they've always done well for me.

I agree with verndewd, if people had issues with the hardware and didn't rma it and just compained its on them.

I'm not aware of crackle issues with the Doom3 engine although they do occur in FEAR. X-FI doesn't do this in all games - it does however if you turn up the audio features. If you leave it at the defaults you won't get them but then why would you pay for a fancy card if you are only using the basics? I've experimented with several systems and finally did a google search - this is inherent with the card or the drivers.

I can think of a place off the top of my head in FEAR if you want to test it - turn up the surround and audio features in FEAR. Go to facility where the guards are shooting you from the balcony - when you go up to the second floor where they were/are, you will find the crackle spot - only lasts a couple of seconds but is an example of what you will find in other spots and games with this issue. Since it occurs with several game engines it isn't just one bad game. I am not however aware of any in DOOM3, Quake4 and we've also tested the game PREY without any issues.
July 1, 2006 6:32:57 AM

Quote:
Halcyon,

While I don't think the X-FI is a bad, card, I don't think it is where it could be. The audigy wasn't a bad card either but the audigy2zs I have stands head an shoulders over it. But my card has occassional pops and crackles (yes I have the latest OS, Drivers, patches for all games, EVERYTHING). From what I hear this is so prevalent in the more advanced games for the X-FI I wouldn't consider putting one on my next PC. I've read several people have switched back from their X-FI to an audigy 2zs. That doesn't mean that EVERY app has issues with the XFI vs. the audigy but it is commonplace enough that it is a known issue. I think it is time for them to tweak the X-FI- not necessarily add more audio processing power but perhaps resolve all the cracks, pops, perhaps even add HDMI.

Boe, you know you have a point about the X-Fi's snap-crackle-pop issue. Last evening between my fatigue and the Yellow Tail that didn't occur to me. I've had the issue, briefly, myself. Creative needs to pay some attention to it, either in drivers or hardware. ...but I still don't believe they're ready for the X-Fi's complete successor. Once they've eradicated the X-Fi's noise issue I wonder what they'll be able to come up with to entice people to replace their (expensive) X-Fi's with. I must admit, I've not heard any noise from the X-Fi I'm using for a long, long time, and when I did hear it was only momentarily, as if just long enough for me to be able to verify that it does indeed exist. I believe they should spend their efforts not on 24bit Crystalizer's and other gimics, but on sound quality that is so superior to the competition that it is non-debatable. ...like someone stated earlier, until new hardware is available to them, how much can they do besides fix bugs. The could release an X-Fi Mark II or something along those lines.
July 1, 2006 6:36:47 AM

Quote:

you do realize he was talking to boe, not you

I did indeed think he was speaking to me. Even if not, rubbish does indeed find it way out of my keyboard...gotta watch that.
July 1, 2006 7:16:38 AM

as long as xfi is making them money, they dont need to be in a hurry to release new sound cards, all my frnds were waiting till summer to pick up xfi cards, although they are all getting xtreme music versions
July 1, 2006 10:02:51 AM

I dont know exactly what setup(s) you have tried running the X-Fi's in so this is just a suggestion/comment...

On Creative's website, they mention that they are researching why the card cracks and pops in certain games. They do have a work-around for it, either a) lower the sound quality (makes the bonus of having an X-Fi kind of useless, I know) or b) run it in a Dual-Channel RAM system.

I too experience the pop occasionally in BF2 and FEAR. My system does not do dual-channel ram but my friend's 939 socket does so I tried running it on his system, same everything but the socket and dual-channel ram. We didnt get any poping what so ever and we played BF2 for hours. It appears the card may not have the bandwidth required from a single-channel RAM setup, why? I have no idea... I wont claim to be an expert.

So, if you still got an X-Fi laying around, try it in a Dual-Channel setup, possibly even a DDR2 for the addt'l bandwidth and see what the results are. I am just going off of what little testing I have personally done and what Creative has said they have found out during their testing.

As far as Creative going out of the Sound Card business? Very unlikely. As far as consumer sound cards go, they are the king. I really cant think of a single company that can even get near to Creative's sound card levels pf quality and power unless you goto the professional series of cards. You cant expect the same development you see out of, say, CPU's and GPU's, in sound cards. Lets face it, there is no continual resolution increase need in sound, nor is there AF, AA, Bloom or HDR like options in sound cards so there is no point in yearly (or sooner) advances in sound cards like there is in the GFX world. Sound is something that can only get so good until there is a total re-vamp of how it is done. The only options they have to work with now would be add more voice channels (doubt it would improve anything as my speakers already get distorted running 128 channels) or add more X-Ram (what is there right now is not even used so why do this?).
July 1, 2006 10:25:45 AM

Especially when the output medium in question are "PC Speakers."

Why soundcards don't have much to go for "perfectly (adequate)"--A good analogy is that there is no need to go from 16bit to 32bit color when the camera you use to take your wallpaper pics has horrible resolution.
July 1, 2006 10:35:14 AM

Quote:
I dont know exactly what setup(s) you have tried running the X-Fi's in so this is just a suggestion/comment...

On Creative's website, they mention that they are researching why the card cracks and pops in certain games. They do have a work-around for it, either a) lower the sound quality (makes the bonus of having an X-Fi kind of useless, I know) or b) run it in a Dual-Channel RAM system.

I too experience the pop occasionally in BF2 and FEAR. My system does not do dual-channel ram but my friend's 939 socket does so I tried running it on his system, same everything but the socket and dual-channel ram. We didnt get any poping what so ever and we played BF2 for hours. It appears the card may not have the bandwidth required from a single-channel RAM setup, why? I have no idea... I wont claim to be an expert.

So, if you still got an X-Fi laying around, try it in a Dual-Channel setup, possibly even a DDR2 for the addt'l bandwidth and see what the results are. I am just going off of what little testing I have personally done and what Creative has said they have found out during their testing.

As far as Creative going out of the Sound Card business? Very unlikely. As far as consumer sound cards go, they are the king. I really cant think of a single company that can even get near to Creative's sound card levels pf quality and power unless you goto the professional series of cards. You cant expect the same development you see out of, say, CPU's and GPU's, in sound cards. Lets face it, there is no continual resolution increase need in sound, nor is there AF, AA, Bloom or HDR like options in sound cards so there is no point in yearly (or sooner) advances in sound cards like there is in the GFX world. Sound is something that can only get so good until there is a total re-vamp of how it is done. The only options they have to work with now would be add more voice channels (doubt it would improve anything as my speakers already get distorted running 128 channels) or add more X-Ram (what is there right now is not even used so why do this?).

That's an awesome post. Thanks for the thoughts. :) 

Here's a link to the Creative topic you've mentioned, I believe:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?b...
July 1, 2006 12:17:23 PM

You have got to be joking. The X-Fi is STILL currently in the development stages, almost literally. It is a brand new sound processor and with that comes development issues (for instance... XBox 360) I know there is no real comparison there but the fact that these are both pretty new products. One of the main problems with newer sound cards is IRQ Routing between these "New and Improved" bullshit chipsets on motherboards. I own an X-Fi Platinum and to be honest... It works flawlessy. I make music with it... (I use a midi keyboard, optical out to my HT Receiver and a digital coax in for my microphone setup) So... what I am getting at is... is anyone paying you to over analyze this shit? You got to be kidding me about a brief 2 seconds of crackle that MOST likely has to do with a games interaction with the X-Fi due to it being a NEW soundcard over a cheap northbridge.

That's it for now.

You guys should relax a little, your gonna get an ulcer.

Mike
July 1, 2006 2:01:58 PM

Quote:
OMFG a couple of seconds crackle when you piss about with your settings.
never noticed any myself. your like the people who have the main volume up at 100% and then wonder why at high volume's they get distortion. you have to set things up correctly tp get the best out of them although i can muck about with the settigs all i want and nothing bad happens.

You assumed I had the volume up - actually most levels are rarely set above 50% (wav. volume, etc) I'm well aware of what underpowered output pushed to the limits can do. I would get a headphone amp if I needed more power but I have perfect hearing. This is not a matter of distortion from lack of output amperage or headroom.

This system is set up properly. I've been in the computer industry for 20 years. I work for a gaming company (among others) that fired their last guy so that I could be their new consultant.

This is a well documented issue and yet you want to argue because you haven't heard any snap crackle or pop when playing back your abba CD. Try playing the levels of FEAR I recommended and that someone who wasn't sure took the time to VERIFY instead of just putting his hands over his ears and shouting "la la la la I'm not listening"

Please stop assuming.
July 1, 2006 2:07:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the very helpful and open discussion. I have tried it on a DDR2 system and while it isn't as frequent it still occurs on occasion. I should have mentioned that - I do appreciate the post for anyone who may be wondering. That is good stuff.
July 1, 2006 3:01:11 PM

Quote:
if one in a miliion cards had an issue you would still cry from the rooftops how crap creative is and how ALL of their cards have defects.

Actually if you read my post, I stated I had moved that client back to the Audigy 2zs as it seems to have less issues. I didn't say I moved them back to their onboard sound as the Audigy2zs is superior with less issues than the X-FI.

Quote:
and i haven't got f.e.a.r.
So you are saying their are no problems with the card because you don't play the games it is known to have issues with? Hmmm - I've never seen gang violence first hand - I vehemently deny reports by th police that there is a gang problem in Los Angeles - your right! The gang issues just dissappeared! Brilliant! Perhaps you could solve world hunger using that same logic - you've never experienced going days without nourishment have you - does that mean true poverty doesn't exist?

Perhaps you don't use as many game engines as my clients do so you may not have experienced the issue as much. Perhaps you aren't demoing games on your system to investors and clients where Snap, Crackle and Pop are not welcome guests.

As I buy many new systems each month, I would like to be able to move my clients forward to the processing power of the X-Fi but without the issues found in many of the game engines with the X-Fi. That is why I would like for Creative to release a new sound card but as there are not even rumors of a new card (typically at least 4 months before release) and their current card has been available for over 15 months - based on their previous release schedule it seems that Creative has put all of it's money in their mp3 player division.
July 1, 2006 4:00:42 PM

Quote:
if one in a miliion cards had an issue you would still cry from the rooftops how crap creative is and how ALL of their cards have defects.

Actually if you read my post, I stated I had moved that client back to the Audigy 2zs as it seems to have less issues. I didn't say I moved them back to their onboard sound as the Audigy2zs is superior with less issues than the X-FI.

Perhaps you don't use as many game engines as my clients do so you may not have experienced the issue as much. Perhaps you aren't demoing games on your system to investors and clients where Snap, Crackle and Pop are not welcome guests.

As I buy many new systems each month, I would like to be able to move my clients forward to the processing power of the X-Fi but without the issues found in many of the game engines with the X-Fi. That is why I would like for Creative to release a new sound card but as there are not even rumors of a new card (typically at least 4 months before release) and their current card has been available for over 15 months - based on their previous release schedule it seems that Creative has put all of it's money in their mp3 player division.

TBH and to be fair, as I understand it, Creative is not totally in financial heaven right now...so they're likely trying to make $$. The personal audio player market is probably more lucrative for them, right now, than the audio-card market...and thus that's where a good amount of their resources are likely going. They probably aren't selling too many $200+ consumer audio cards, no matter whether those cards are great or not. Enthusiasts may want those products, but probably aren't buying as many as Creative needs to sell to get themselves back in the black. TBH, I really can't see myself ever buying a Zen MP3 player over an iPod unless Creative was giving me an incredibly strong fiscal reason to do so. Unfortunately, a lof of consumers feel the same way.

Creative needs to support their products properly, but they also need to be lucrative if we're to see advancements. They're going to put their resources where its going to help get them in the financial position they desire. We'll see improvements from them, but not as quickly as some enthusiasts may like.
July 2, 2006 5:12:55 AM

Quote:
Creative needs to support their products properly, but they also need to be lucrative if we're to see advancements. They're going to put their resources where its going to help get them in the financial position they desire. We'll see improvements from them, but not as quickly as some enthusiasts may like.

I couldn't agree more. However I would like to see some competition step up to the plate and take creative head on. I know there are lesser known companies out there but lets be honest...the general public really has no clue.
I think competition would help not hurt creative. Take a look at ATI vs. Nvidia for example. You can't tell me that ATI would be better off without Nvidia.

Not only that the terrible plague of onboard sound has taken hold. Unfortunately onboard sound is their only real competition. So they really don't have much to compete with here in terms of quality. So it really befuddles me that so many people out there don't even think about soundcards in their build. Especially since sound cards are perhaps one of the least expensive component in a build. Why is that? I believe it's the lack of true competition and bad marketing strategies by Creative.

I tell people all the time that onbaord sound is just a sham by motherboard companies so you will by their brand or model. And most people don't care because they have been brainwashed so they don't even bother to lay down $20-30 for a soundcard. I wish the high end enthusiast boards didnt have on-board sound. It just makes installation harder for us that do want quality.
July 4, 2006 2:38:05 AM

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Driver with OpenAL 2.09.0001
This download contains an improved version of the drivers found on the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Platinum and Fatal1ty installation CDs. It now provides full OpenAL support for gamers.

This download:
Includes Creative Audio Console, which enables you to use the Sound Blaster X-Fi features and functions.
Does not address all the reported general "crackling" issues, but it does resolve some specific issues with crackling. Investigations with some motherboard manufacturers are ongoing, and we hope to provide a general solution soon.
Resolves some issues to improve your overall audio experience.

Added Feature:
Supports OpenAL 1.1

Gee - it must be my imagination about the crackling :roll:
July 4, 2006 3:57:19 AM

If you hate the idea of new technology, then you're on the wrong forum.

The only game I've had any issues with FarCry x64, which was annoying, but nothing that made me feel like the card was not worth it.
July 4, 2006 4:35:44 AM

creative's 1st drivers for the x-fi line of cards were definatley crap. They released a web update that fixed most of the driver problems and improved performance.
July 4, 2006 6:18:01 AM

I haven't read anything yet, but IMO Creative is developing right now an HD audio capable card.

The new Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Lossless (MLP) and DTS-HD formats are out for the HD-DVD and Bluray media. But it's all very new and there aren't any kind of decoder in the market right now, i think they will be in fall.

So i bet for an "Creative X-Fi HD" for Christmas season. I don't know what to think about the PCI-E, but the HD audio bandwith is 20 times higher...

A new "HD" version of the DDTS-100 will be interesting too, because i'm sure that the first HD audio A/V receivers will be insanely expensive :? .
July 4, 2006 6:47:58 AM

Hi Guys/Gals, you may know more about these sound cards than I do.

I've use SoundBlaster cards on most of the computer I have built but never have an issue of crackles and pops some of you guys mention. Mind you I don’t crank the settings on high.

Anyway I remember reading an article about the X-Fi issue with Mother Board with NVIDIA chip and paired X-Fi Sound Card, I don't remember the site but if I do I'll post the link next time.

I guess the best way to do is keep the sound card drivers up to date.
July 4, 2006 7:24:02 AM

Well, anyone who is having a bad time with their X-Fi card could just take a piece of string and attach one end to the PCI slot and the other end to an empty tin can. It is important that the can be empty or you might experience some sound issues while playing a game
July 4, 2006 8:20:21 AM

Quote:
Well, anyone who is having a bad time with their X-Fi card could just take a piece of string and attach one end to the PCI slot and the other end to an empty tin can. It is important that the can be empty or you might experience some sound issues while playing a game

LOL.

...but don't poke too much fun @ those who are having X-Fi troubles though. I'd be upset if I didn't have a bottomless bank account and spent some of what I did have on what I thought was (and what has been touted as) a paramount sound card, that is supposedly great, if not the best, at everything...only to find that it has the "Rice Crispies" effect and the company can't or won't offer a hard fix. If I was purchasing a new card geared more for music audio but with some gaming ability I'd prolly not look to an X-Fi when the M-Audio Revolution series exists. I'm a very short budget, like a lot of other people, so I can definately empathize.
July 7, 2006 9:18:55 AM

I read a while back in another thread about how the first set of X-fi cards were suffering from overheating problems so later releases were fitted with heatsinks on the main chip to compensate. I know mine has a heatsink & I have never had any problems plus I'm using the card in an Nforce 2 mobo with the original CD drivers & I have never had any sound problems.

Maybe all the people who are suffering sound problems could check their cards to see if they have heatsinks. If they do and your still having problems then f**k knows, just ingore this post.
July 7, 2006 9:46:03 AM

Quote:
I read a while back in another thread about how the first set of X-fi cards were suffering from overheating problems so later releases were fitted with heatsinks on the main chip to compensate. I know mine has a heatsink & I have never had any problems plus I'm using the card in an Nforce 2 mobo with the original CD drivers & I have never had any sound problems.

Maybe all the people who are suffering sound problems could check their cards to see if they have heatsinks. If they do and your still having problems then f**k knows, just ingore this post.

That's really good advice. Your post makes me realize that I've read that before myself. In fact, there was a thread about that perhaps a month, or so back. ...with employing a chip-set HSF as a possible solution.
July 7, 2006 10:42:20 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not aware of any issues with the X-Fi cards myself. I have been using an X-Fi Fatality since December and it works flawlessly for me - games and encoding. The DVDs I play sound excellent. For me, it was a good investment.

Same here. No problems, exelent sound quality (Extreme Pro) and high quality connectors.
July 7, 2006 10:58:33 AM

Quote:

Same here. No problems, exelent sound quality (Extreme Pro) and high quality connectors.

That's not fair! You have the venerable Xtreme Pro. I want it. I'm coming to steal it. You can't guard it 24/7! 8O
!