Video card upgrade: need to know if PC can handle it ..

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and would like some advice on whether or not my current (ageing) PC will be able to handle a video card upgrade to a Radeon 9800XT.
If not then any recommendation would be most welcomed.

My current PC setup is as follows:

Power supply: 320 watt ( unsure of make and model )

CPU: AMD Athlon XP2500 (barton core @ 1.8 Ghz roughly )

Motherboard: Albatron KM18G nforce 2

Videocard: Radeon 9600pro

RAM: 2x 512MB PC2700 Memory

Audio: Audigy Soundblaster (very first version)

Hard Drive: 2x Seagate Barracuda 80 gig IDE HDD

Monitor: Viewsonic 17" Monitor

Case: Thermaltake Skull case ( not sure of actual model but it has a LCD display that monitors both the CPU and Case Temp )

I know it is an old system but I would like to be able to play Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R, Quake 4 at 1024x768 resolution with some decent frame rates.
Any help with this would most appreciated.

Cheers.
7 answers Last reply
More about video card upgrade handle
  1. That's not a bad system. Your XP2500+ may be good for 2.2GHz if you want a little speed boost. Plus you have a gig of RAM.

I'd think that system would even benefit from the $135 (shipped) refurbished X800XL or the $139 shipped new X850 pro on ATI website. If it's a generic power supply with less than 16 amp on the 12v rail, I doubt it would handle these cards though.

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=39
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately ordering online is a no-no for me cos I stay in the middle of the South Pacific and shipping/freight is ridiculously expensive so I got to stick with what I got. However if youre saying that my power supply needs an upgrade, I can get an Enermax 400Watt PSU off a mate, Will that be enough for the Radeon 9800XT ??
  3. Your system will support this card w/o problems. I'm still using a 5yo taiwan no-brand 350W PSU (20 pins, where mobo has a 24 pins conn!) with this OCed system:

A64 3500+ (Claw) @2.475GHz (225x11), stock voltage, stock AMD fan
    Asus A8N-E
    2x512MB Kingston ValueRAM @225MHz (DDR450 2-3-2-6-1T), stock voltage
    Saffire X700 Pro PCIe
    2xWD740 Raptor
    CD-RW TDK CDRW321040B
    DVD-RW Samsung TS-H552U

No problems at all in 6 months running 24/7.
  4. a upgrade from a 9600XT to a 9800 isnt much of a jump unfortuantely, try and go for a X800 series or a nvidia 6 series or better, otherwise, everything else looks good, and shuld be able to handle either 1 of those cards.
  5. Oh well, think I'll just go ahead with the Radeon 9800XT since I'm getting it for $100, should last me until I get my brand new Gaming PC which will hopefully be next year.
    Thanks for the advice guys :)
  6. That's a good price for a 9800XT. It's almost up to 6600GT standards, and they cost more than that. Good Luck!
  7. you could probably get a x800GTO for around the same price but not bad overall.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product