Sign in with
Your question

RAM for FX-62 - Sorry for asking the same question as others

Last response: in Memory
June 30, 2006 11:28:13 PM

This question has been asked in one way or another, but to make sure I will ask it again.

I will be getting the AMD FX-62 and 2gb of RAM. The RAM will be corsair or ocz.

I will probably get a pair of 1024 because of resons mentioned in other posts.

Is it wise to get RAM over 800Mhz and tighten the timings/raise the "FSB" (so to speak - HTT) ?

Is it worth getting the OCZ Titanium/ Corsair XMS2 PC8000 ?

I will overclock the CPU (not that I think that It can overclock alot but nyw)

(It is probably clear that I have no idea about choosing RAM, because in all previous builds I foolishly got the el cheapo RAM to save money.)

Thanks for the help! I know that this question has been asked a million times ...

More about : ram question

June 30, 2006 11:52:26 PM

get the conroe extreme IMHO
July 1, 2006 8:39:41 AM

I was thinking about getting the conroe, since I have already waited so long, but decided against it, because the F-62 IS the best CPU available now, and might even continue to be. The real reason though is that I want K8l, and am2 is probably the way to get there. And reson #3 core 2 duo is practically more than a month away (If I order on august #1 I will probably get it august 10th).

Enough about the conroe ... How can I get the best out of the extremly picky FX-62? Not that it has any importance, but a link from MMM's blog tp legit reviews said using CL3 corsair had best resaults. They didn't mention higher clocked pc8000 RAM.

Help?
Related resources
July 1, 2006 9:28:18 AM

Quote:
This question has been asked in one way or another, but to make sure I will ask it again.

I will be getting the AMD FX-62 and 2gb of RAM. The RAM will be corsair or ocz.

I will probably get a pair of 1024 because of resons mentioned in other posts.

Is it wise to get RAM over 800Mhz and tighten the timings/raise the "FSB" (so to speak - HTT) ?

Is it worth getting the OCZ Titanium/ Corsair XMS2 PC8000 ?

I will overclock the CPU (not that I think that It can overclock alot but nyw)

(It is probably clear that I have no idea about choosing RAM, because in all previous builds I foolishly got the el cheapo RAM to save money.)

Thanks for the help! I know that this question has been asked a million times ...
For best performance with AM2, you want DDR800 @ 4-4-4-12, or DDR667 @ 3-3-3- 8/10. If you can get memory running at DDR800 @ 3-3-3-x, or DDR1067 then that would be even better, but it will cost you big bucks.
July 1, 2006 9:50:29 AM

Yeah, right... ya know LMM´s blog is t3h source for information
July 1, 2006 3:50:10 PM

yeah .. I know that you all think MMM says BS ... but do you actually think the benchmarks were fakes/rigged ?

So basically the question is: Is it better to have higher frequencies (by high I mean DDR-1000 + OR low latency like 3-3-3-7 ?)

Also an overclocking question:

Is it easier to tighten the timings on DDR2-1000 RAM running at 800mhz (underclocking)? Would this be more beneficial for the Latency sensitive FX-62 ?
!