Demoted a DC, now very slow when booting

Hi,

I had a 2000 Advanced Server machine that I promoted to a Domain Controller,
I then demoted it and since then it takes around 25 minutes to boot up. Does
anyone know where I can start looking for an answer?

thanks
Dave

start with DNS.
Was it also a DNS Server previously?

After demotion, is its IP settings still pointing to itself in the DNS
entry? If yes, change it to another DNS, stop / start the NETLOGON service or
reboot the machine to allow the DNS entries to be correctly registered.

You may still need to clear up DNS entries (of it being a DC) manually on
other DCs if the dcpromo / demotion did not successfully complete, and/or
replication has not finished.

HTH.

"David Hodgson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a 2000 Advanced Server machine that I promoted to a Domain Controller,
> I then demoted it and since then it takes around 25 minutes to boot up. Does
> anyone know where I can start looking for an answer?
>
> thanks
> Dave

Thanks Desmond,

but unfortunatly it wasn't a DNS server so that's out. And I've checked the
other DC's and they have no settings at all in DNS pertaining to the demoted
server apart from its "A" record.

"Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
> start with DNS.
> Was it also a DNS Server previously?
>
> After demotion, is its IP settings still pointing to itself in the DNS
> entry? If yes, change it to another DNS, stop / start the NETLOGON service
> or
> reboot the machine to allow the DNS entries to be correctly registered.
>
> You may still need to clear up DNS entries (of it being a DC) manually on
> other DCs if the dcpromo / demotion did not successfully complete, and/or
> replication has not finished.
>
> HTH.
>
> "David Hodgson" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a 2000 Advanced Server machine that I promoted to a Domain
>> Controller,
>> I then demoted it and since then it takes around 25 minutes to boot up.
>> Does
>> anyone know where I can start looking for an answer?
>>
>> thanks
>> Dave

Make sure that the DNS 'A' record contains a valid server name and IP
address of the new DC. You can modify them manually or let the new DC do it
itself auto upon restart (ensure that the referenced DNS IP address is
correct).