Enchanting money tip

(Sorry if this is obvious to most people, it wasn't to me, and newbies
may not realise it).

When you get an enchanted item made by an enchanter, it costs a LOT of
money - especially if it is a constant-effect/very powerful item.

However: you can then get that money back of the enchanter by selling
them stuff. It is a great way to offload glass and Daedric stuff that
you don't need, which is far too expensive for the other merchants in
the game. If you don't have a lot of expensive armour, best way to
get your money back is to sell the enchanter a trapped soul that you
don't want. (Obviously not a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper - but
there are masses of mid-high level monsters that are relatively easy
to trap that sell for TENS of thousands of gold).

You won't make a profit, but you will effectively get your enchanted
items as a barter deal, keeping your purse nice and fat ;)
8 answers Last reply
More about enchanting money

    On 17 Apr 2004 12:21:47 -0700, istara@istara.com (istara) wrote:

    >(Sorry if this is obvious to most people, it wasn't to me, and newbies
    >may not realise it).
    >
    >When you get an enchanted item made by an enchanter, it costs a LOT of
    >money - especially if it is a constant-effect/very powerful item.
    >
    >However: you can then get that money back of the enchanter by selling
    >them stuff. It is a great way to offload glass and Daedric stuff that
    >you don't need, which is far too expensive for the other merchants in
    >the game. If you don't have a lot of expensive armour, best way to
    >get your money back is to sell the enchanter a trapped soul that you
    >don't want. (Obviously not a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper - but
    >there are masses of mid-high level monsters that are relatively easy
    >to trap that sell for TENS of thousands of gold).
    >
    >You won't make a profit, but you will effectively get your enchanted
    >items as a barter deal, keeping your purse nice and fat ;)

    Yep - the problem is amassing that much cash in the first place.
    :)

    I use one of the bank mods - a series of banks (all linked) when you
    can deposit/withdraw cash.

    Best thing is your accounts earns money while it's there, so if you
    keep adding, by the time you need constant effect items, you should be
    able to afford them.

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    Mark Morrison wrote:
    > On 17 Apr 2004 12:21:47 -0700, istara@istara.com (istara) wrote:
    >

    >>(Sorry if this is obvious to most people, it wasn't to me, and newbies
    >>may not realise it).
    >>
    >>When you get an enchanted item made by an enchanter, it costs a LOT of
    >>money - especially if it is a constant-effect/very powerful item.
    >>
    >>However: you can then get that money back of the enchanter by selling
    >>them stuff. It is a great way to offload glass and Daedric stuff that
    >>you don't need, which is far too expensive for the other merchants in
    >>the game. If you don't have a lot of expensive armour, best way to
    >>get your money back is to sell the enchanter a trapped soul that you
    >>don't want. (Obviously not a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper - but
    >>there are masses of mid-high level monsters that are relatively easy
    >>to trap that sell for TENS of thousands of gold).
    >>
    >>You won't make a profit, but you will effectively get your enchanted
    >>items as a barter deal, keeping your purse nice and fat ;)
    >

    > Yep - the problem is amassing that much cash in the first place.
    > :)
    >
    > I use one of the bank mods - a series of banks (all linked) when you
    > can deposit/withdraw cash.
    >
    > Best thing is your accounts earns money while it's there, so if you
    > keep adding, by the time you need constant effect items, you should be
    > able to afford them.

    The banks are one of the things I miss about Daggerfall. There you
    could get letters of credit, buy houses and boats. The letters of
    credit seemed far better than being able to carry around millions of gold.

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:39:49 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >Mark Morrison wrote:
    >> On 17 Apr 2004 12:21:47 -0700, istara@istara.com (istara) wrote:
    >>

    >>>(Sorry if this is obvious to most people, it wasn't to me, and newbies
    >>>may not realise it).
    >>>
    >>>When you get an enchanted item made by an enchanter, it costs a LOT of
    >>>money - especially if it is a constant-effect/very powerful item.
    >>>
    >>>However: you can then get that money back of the enchanter by selling
    >>>them stuff. It is a great way to offload glass and Daedric stuff that
    >>>you don't need, which is far too expensive for the other merchants in
    >>>the game. If you don't have a lot of expensive armour, best way to
    >>>get your money back is to sell the enchanter a trapped soul that you
    >>>don't want. (Obviously not a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper - but
    >>>there are masses of mid-high level monsters that are relatively easy
    >>>to trap that sell for TENS of thousands of gold).
    >>>
    >>>You won't make a profit, but you will effectively get your enchanted
    >>>items as a barter deal, keeping your purse nice and fat ;)
    >>

    >> Yep - the problem is amassing that much cash in the first place.
    >> :)
    >>
    >> I use one of the bank mods - a series of banks (all linked) when you
    >> can deposit/withdraw cash.
    >>
    >> Best thing is your accounts earns money while it's there, so if you
    >> keep adding, by the time you need constant effect items, you should be
    >> able to afford them.
    >>

    >The banks are one of the things I miss about Daggerfall. There you
    >could get letters of credit, buy houses and boats. The letters of
    >credit seemed far better than being able to carry around millions of gold.

    In Morrowind, once you get to a certain point, there's nothing really
    to spend money on.

    I'd have liked to have been able to buy boats, to be able to reach
    small, unmarked, islands. From small one-person boats to large
    sailing ships requiring a crew (who would need paying). You could
    sail somewhere, load up a ton of stuff, then sail back to a busy port
    and make a fortune !

    And then buy a bigger boat !!

    Actually, I miss buying houses the most - buying one was a real
    accomplishment in Arena, even if they were pretty useless.

    Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
    >On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:39:49 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    ><mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >>Mark Morrison wrote:
    >>> On 17 Apr 2004 12:21:47 -0700, istara@istara.com (istara) wrote:
    >>>

    >>The banks are one of the things I miss about Daggerfall. There you
    >>could get letters of credit, buy houses and boats. The letters of
    >>credit seemed far better than being able to carry around millions of gold.
    >
    >In Morrowind, once you get to a certain point, there's nothing really
    >to spend money on.
    >
    >I'd have liked to have been able to buy boats, to be able to reach
    >small, unmarked, islands. From small one-person boats to large
    >sailing ships requiring a crew (who would need paying). You could
    >sail somewhere, load up a ton of stuff, then sail back to a busy port
    >and make a fortune !

    That, or maybe a sleek low mileage little number with lots of cargo room
    from Crazy Bob's Used Silt Striders. With rope ladder, sound system and
    rear defogger.

    > In Morrowind, once you get to a certain point, there's nothing really
    > to spend money on.

    This is true - assuming you have made every single enchanted item you
    could ever need.

    The problem I have is invincibility which makes the game somewhat
    boring. I have no enchanted armour items or weapons (yet) and play as
    a Nord Barbarian. Since Level 15/16/17/18 or so - NOTHING is too hard
    - except for duelling the head of the Imperial Legion, which I managed
    a few levels later. I can literally kill anything. I found an
    amazingly cheap, powerful axe in Aldruhn early on, Last Rites, since
    then I found a Daedric Axe. I recently swapped that for a Daedric
    hammer just to build up my Blunt Weapons skill.

    And this is with a lot of laziness (flying around with Constant
    Levitation ring and Boots of Speed) - so my Athletics and Acrobatics
    probably are nowhere near what they could/should be.

    And I've also done no extra paid training, except a couple of levels
    of Personality/Speechcraft very early on.

    On 19 Apr 2004 03:30:15 -0700, istara@istara.com (istara) wrote:

    >> In Morrowind, once you get to a certain point, there's nothing really
    >> to spend money on.
    >
    >This is true - assuming you have made every single enchanted item you
    >could ever need.
    >
    >The problem I have is invincibility which makes the game somewhat
    >boring. I have no enchanted armour items or weapons (yet) and play as
    >a Nord Barbarian. Since Level 15/16/17/18 or so - NOTHING is too hard
    >- except for duelling the head of the Imperial Legion, which I managed
    >a few levels later. I can literally kill anything. I found an
    >amazingly cheap, powerful axe in Aldruhn early on, Last Rites, since
    >then I found a Daedric Axe. I recently swapped that for a Daedric
    >hammer just to build up my Blunt Weapons skill.
    >
    >And this is with a lot of laziness (flying around with Constant
    >Levitation ring and Boots of Speed) - so my Athletics and Acrobatics
    >probably are nowhere near what they could/should be.
    >
    >And I've also done no extra paid training, except a couple of levels
    >of Personality/Speechcraft very early on.

    I recently started a new character, and this time through I've decided
    to ignore Daedric weapons and assassin armour, both of which make you
    too powerful, too fast, imo.

    Plus glass armour looks fab. :)

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    I've gotten picky about which monsters' souls I'll trap. Grand soul gems
    are only for Golden Saints or Ascended Sleepers, in order to use them for
    constant effect items or powerful weapons with a 400-point charge. Greater
    soul gems are only for Storm Atronachs, and Common soul gems are only for
    Fire Atronachs, since those are the most powerful creatures' souls those
    gems will hold. For the Lesser soul gems, I usually go Bull Netch hunting.
    You can make a nice targeted Soul Trap item at the beginning of the game (I
    use an Expensive Belt, which is easy to find), which will cast Soul Trap at
    a distance in a 10' radius for 34 seconds. Coupled with a good quality bow
    (or an item enchanted with Bound Longbow), it's easy to cast the Soul Trap
    spell on the Bull Netch from a long distance and almost immediately bring
    him down with an arrow, avoiding those nasty Poisonblooms.

    As for having enchanted items made by an enchanter, there's no reason to do
    that, unless you're just looking to sell stuff off. All you need to do is
    boost your Intelligence to insanely high levels with multiple progressively
    more powerful Fortify Intelligence potions. Once your Intelligence looks
    like a zip code (five digits), you should have no problem in casting any
    enchantment you want on any item. My current character (a Nord named Bone
    Skullbreaker) boosted his over 5,000,000, although it's down into the mid-4
    millions now as the weaker potions are wearing off.

    Some useful constant effect items I've made:

    Robe of the Master Bowman: (Constant effect Bound Longbow; when it gets
    worn, re-equip it and you have a brand new longbow) - 10 point enchantment.
    I used a Black Robe I found in a mod, but any item that will take 10 points
    enchantment will work). Note this will also work with other Bound weapons,
    but the Longbow is probably the most useful. I prefer other enchantments on
    my melee weapons.

    Ring of Night Flight (Constant effect Levitate 1 point/Night Eye 30
    points) - Use an Extravagant Ring that will take a 60-point enchantment. I
    prefer a ring to an amulet because I use the Amulets of Recall/Almsivi
    Intervention/Divine Intervention to teleport around, and if you have to take
    off an amulet that is allowing you to Levitate in order to go someplace...
    Well, sometimes it's a long way down.

    Shield of Invisibility: (Constant effect Invisibility) - I cast this one on
    the Ebony Shield you can get at Ald Sotha. Perfect for a 100-point
    enchantment.

    Daedric Shield of Blending: (Constant effect Chameleon 1-89%): A 225-point
    enchantment that will only work on a Daedric Tower Shield. Once you make
    it, keep re-equipping it until you get a Chameleon effect over 80%. This
    one really unbalances the game because at that point, you are effectively
    invisibly, and unlike the Shield of Invisibility above, you REMAIN invisible
    even when you open doors, pick locks, etc. On the other hand, it's nice to
    be able to fly around unmolested by Cliff Racers or be able to go pearl
    diving without pesky Slaughterfish and Dreugh bothering you.

    Some non-constant effect weapons I've made with 400-point soul gems:

    Thunderbolt (Daedric Katana: Shock damage 13 points, Absorb Strength 10
    points, Absorb Health 10 points) - Showy but cool.

    The Vampire's Axe (Daedric Battle Axe: Absorb Health 40-41 points) - Very
    lethal. Most monsters don't last more than a couple of blows.

    Venom Spear (Daedric Spear: Poison damage 7 points for 5 seconds) - Also
    very lethal, but slower as the poison takes its toll.

    Green Venom (Glass Claymore: Poison damage 10-11 points) - I like the Glass
    Claymore; very cool-looking. Glass weapons won't take much enchantment,
    though.

    William's Shockspeare (Ebony Spear: Shock damage 13 points, Absorb Health 5
    points) - Yeah, bad pun.

    Best source of Daedric and Glass weapons: The Daedric tomb just outside of
    Caldera. At lower levels, you get a lot of Dwemer junk, but you sell it off
    or use it until you start seeing Ebony weapons on the Dremoras you kill. At
    higher levels (17+), repeated trips into the tomb will build a complete
    arsenal of Daedric and Glass weapons, as well as allowing you to fill your
    Grand soul gems with the souls of the Golden Saints who show up more and
    more frequently at higher levels. Lots of atronachs for your other soul
    gems, too.

    I've found that the best way to sell stuff is to go to Aradraen the Fletcher
    in the basement of the Foreign Quarter in Vivec. She'll buy 8000 gold
    pieces worth of expensive weaponry at a pop. I sell her the low-level stuff
    first, then sell her a higher-level item and take the lesser stuff back in
    change. Also, if you have the Area-Effect Arrows mod, you can take some of
    the nastier arrows in change as well.

    On 20 apr 2004, someone wrote in alt.games.morrowind

> [...]
    > outside of Caldera. At lower levels, you get a lot of Dwemer junk,
    > but you sell it off or use it until you start seeing Ebony weapons on
    > the Dremoras you kill. At higher levels (17+), repeated trips into
    > the tomb will build a complete arsenal of Daedric and Glass weapons,
    > as well as allowing you to fill your Grand soul gems with the souls of
    > the Golden Saints who show up more and more frequently at higher
    > levels. Lots of atronachs for your other soul gems, too.
    >
    > I've found that the best way to sell stuff is to go to Aradraen the
    > Fletcher in the basement of the Foreign Quarter in Vivec. She'll buy
    > 8000 gold pieces worth of expensive weaponry at a pop. I sell her the
    > low-level stuff first, then sell her a higher-level item and take the
    > lesser stuff back in change. Also, if you have the Area-Effect Arrows
    > mod, you can take some of the nastier arrows in change as well.

    The word "munchin" comes to mind. ;-)

    The game is already too easy, so why go to such lenghts to abuse the
    unbalances? Having INT of several millions is just ludicrous and must be
    a design and/or programming error. If you quaff several potions only the
    strongest one should be effective.

Games Video Games