Kyocera FS-3700 or Samsung ML-1520 Laser Printers

Would anyone know anything about either of these printers? The Samsung
is new and the Kyocera (refurbished) is older dating from 1997. Anyone
have any experience of using either, as I'm just looking for one for
printing letters. They're both a similar price.

Thanks for any advice!

Kyocera Mita FS 3700
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kyocera_Mita_FS_3700__5380538/TabId/4

Samsung ML1520 Laser Printer
http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(u302g4454xhyca45e2ecz4im)/catalogFamily.aspx?ID=75607340&CID=400

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Don't know where you live but in my part of the world Kyosera replacement
toners and drum units are very expensive.
I can't give advise on the Samsung printer but please phone around and see what
the consumables are going to cost you.
We can sell a customer a brand new (non Kyosera) printer for less than the cost
of a Kyosera drum unit and they get change!!!
Cost of ownership has to be a large factor in deciding which printer you buy
(especially lasers).
Tony

lisamaguire@operamail.com (liz) wrote:
>Would anyone know anything about either of these printers? The Samsung
>is new and the Kyocera (refurbished) is older dating from 1997. Anyone
>have any experience of using either, as I'm just looking for one for
>printing letters. They're both a similar price.
>
>Thanks for any advice!
>
>Kyocera Mita FS 3700
>http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kyocera_Mita_FS_3700__5380538/TabId/4
>
>Samsung ML1520 Laser Printer
>http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(u302g4454xhyca45e2ecz4im)/catalogFamily.aspx?ID=75607340&CID=400

>Don't know where you live but in my part of the world Kyosera
replacement
>toners and drum units are very expensive.
>I can't give advise on the Samsung printer but please phone around
and see what
>the consumables are going to cost you.
>We can sell a customer a brand new (non Kyosera) printer for less
than the cost
>of a Kyosera drum unit and they get change!!!
>Cost of ownership has to be a large factor in deciding which printer
you buy
>(especially lasers).
>Tony

Thanks Tony!

Apparently with the Kyocera Mita FS-3700 the drum & developer system
last for 300,000 pages, and I print under 5000 pages a year.

So as long as it hasn't printed up to the 300,000 pages, hopefully I
wouldn't need to get a replacement drum.

There's a store in Leeds that sells the toner for the Kyocera for
£27.15, which (I think) is fairly low in comparison to some toners.

Although the Samsung is new (and light usage) and the Kyocera is 2nd
hand (but heavy duty), I'm thinking as the Kyocera is an office
machine it might end up lasting a lot longer...

Is there a big difference in the amount of power used by these two
machines? Is there any way of finding this out?

>Lisa
>I have emailed you a portion of the user manual for the FS-3700 in
PDF format
>with an attachment that shows how to determine the page count.
>Good luck
>Tony

Thanks very much Tony for the manual I've just received it, I'll have
a read at it now. Thanks for that!

Can I just ask, you were saying the Kyocera FS 3700 possibly uses
3x220=660 Watts.

If you check the link it says it uses 277 Watts, so does this figure
have to be multiplied to get the true figure?

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kyocera_Mita_FS_3700__5380538/TabId/4#Power

I was wondering, as the Samsung uses 280W, so I'm not sure if I should
be comparing the Samsungs 280W to the Kyoceras 220W, or is the Kyocera
a lot higher as 660W?

Hope this makes sense...!

Lisa

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

lisamaguire@operamail.com (liz) wrote:
>>Don't know where you live but in my part of the world Kyosera
>replacement
>>toners and drum units are very expensive.
>>I can't give advise on the Samsung printer but please phone around
>and see what
>>the consumables are going to cost you.
>>We can sell a customer a brand new (non Kyosera) printer for less
>than the cost
>>of a Kyosera drum unit and they get change!!!
>>Cost of ownership has to be a large factor in deciding which printer
>you buy
>>(especially lasers).
>>Tony
>

>Thanks Tony!
>
>Apparently with the Kyocera Mita FS-3700 the drum & developer system
>last for 300,000 pages, and I print under 5000 pages a year.
>
>So as long as it hasn't printed up to the 300,000 pages, hopefully I
>wouldn't need to get a replacement drum.
>
>There's a store in Leeds that sells the toner for the Kyocera for
>£27.15, which (I think) is fairly low in comparison to some toners.
>
>Although the Samsung is new (and light usage) and the Kyocera is 2nd
>hand (but heavy duty), I'm thinking as the Kyocera is an office
>machine it might end up lasting a lot longer...
>
>Is there a big difference in the amount of power used by these two
>machines? Is there any way of finding this out?

Lisa
I have emailed you a portion of the user manual for the FS-3700 in PDF format
with an attachment that shows how to determine the page count.
Good luck
Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

lisamaguire@operamail.com (liz) wrote:
>>Lisa
>>I have emailed you a portion of the user manual for the FS-3700 in
>PDF format
>>with an attachment that shows how to determine the page count.
>>Good luck
>>Tony
>
>Thanks very much Tony for the manual I've just received it, I'll have
>a read at it now. Thanks for that!
>
>Can I just ask, you were saying the Kyocera FS 3700 possibly uses
>3x220=660 Watts.
>
>If you check the link it says it uses 277 Watts, so does this figure
>have to be multiplied to get the true figure?
>
>http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kyocera_Mita_FS_3700__5380538/TabId/4#Power
>
>I was wondering, as the Samsung uses 280W, so I'm not sure if I should
>be comparing the Samsungs 280W to the Kyoceras 220W, or is the Kyocera
>a lot higher as 660W?
>
>Hope this makes sense...!
>
>Lisa

Hi Lisa
I took the power consumption from the same manual (Chapter 1 which I didn't
send to you). The 3 amp rating (for 220 volt mains) is maximum.This translates
to 660 watts approximately. The rating on the website will be average ie. 220
watts as I expect will be the Samsung; so you should compare 220 watts
(Kyocera) with 280 watts (Samsung) both average power consumption. The Samsung
will have a higher maximum rating than 280 watts. The fusing elements (lamps)
alone for any laser printer will run at 400 to 600 watts (there are probably
exceptions to this) and the rest of the printer will use a comparatively low
level of power. There is no way to reduce the fusing element power consumption
in laser printer design since hot fusing (fixing) is critical to correct
operation. The ambient power consumption (ie powered on but not printing will
be lower than the maximum, however the heater is turned on periodically to keep
the fuser hot whether you are printing or not with most printers). That is why
the average is lower than the maximum.
Why is power consumption a factor in your decision making? (just interested).
Hope this helps.
Tony

>Hi Lisa
>I took the power consumption from the same manual (Chapter 1 which I
didn't
>send to you). The 3 amp rating (for 220 volt mains) is maximum.This
translates
>to 660 watts approximately. The rating on the website will be average
ie. 220
>watts as I expect will be the Samsung; so you should compare 220
watts
>(Kyocera) with 280 watts (Samsung) both average power consumption.
The Samsung
>will have a higher maximum rating than 280 watts. The fusing elements
(lamps)
>alone for any laser printer will run at 400 to 600 watts (there are
probably
>exceptions to this) and the rest of the printer will use a
comparatively low
>level of power. There is no way to reduce the fusing element power
consumption
>in laser printer design since hot fusing (fixing) is critical to
correct
>operation. The ambient power consumption (ie powered on but not
printing will
>be lower than the maximum, however the heater is turned on
periodically to keep
>the fuser hot whether you are printing or not with most printers).
That is why
>the average is lower than the maximum.
>Why is power consumption a factor in your decision making? (just
interested).
>Hope this helps.
>Tony

Thanks again Tony! Oh, I understand it now...

I was just wondering about the power consumption, as I don't want to
get a printer which is heavy on electricity.

I've been using a LaserJet III which is 850W, and I don't want to get
something which is so power hungry...!

Lisa

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

lisamaguire@operamail.com (liz) wrote:
>>Hi Lisa
>>I took the power consumption from the same manual (Chapter 1 which I
>didn't
>>send to you). The 3 amp rating (for 220 volt mains) is maximum.This
>translates
>>to 660 watts approximately. The rating on the website will be average
>ie. 220
>>watts as I expect will be the Samsung; so you should compare 220
>watts
>>(Kyocera) with 280 watts (Samsung) both average power consumption.
>The Samsung
>>will have a higher maximum rating than 280 watts. The fusing elements
>(lamps)
>>alone for any laser printer will run at 400 to 600 watts (there are
>probably
>>exceptions to this) and the rest of the printer will use a
>comparatively low
>>level of power. There is no way to reduce the fusing element power
>consumption
>>in laser printer design since hot fusing (fixing) is critical to
>correct
>>operation. The ambient power consumption (ie powered on but not
>printing will
>>be lower than the maximum, however the heater is turned on
>periodically to keep
>>the fuser hot whether you are printing or not with most printers).
>That is why
>>the average is lower than the maximum.
>>Why is power consumption a factor in your decision making? (just
>interested).
>>Hope this helps.
>>Tony
>

>Thanks again Tony! Oh, I understand it now...
>
>I was just wondering about the power consumption, as I don't want to
>get a printer which is heavy on electricity.
>
>I've been using a LaserJet III which is 850W, and I don't want to get
>something which is so power hungry...!
>
>Lisa

Good idea of course, the LJIII is a very old design and there have been some
radical improvements in many aspects
of laser printer design since then, not least of which is size, weight, speed
and power consumption. Most printers with similar features
will have similar power characteristics the major factors that will increase
power usage are paper size (A3 printers have a longer and more
powerful heating element than A4 printers) and speed of print.

Tony