• 4200+ @ $358

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 4200+ @ $240

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I am having trouble deciding on a processor for my computer. The following are the processors I am considering.

1. Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2 GHz 1MB L2 Cache, Socket 939

Cost: $207

2. Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2 GHz 2x512KB L2 Cache, AMD2

Cost: $358

My problem is that I am thinking of getting Amd2 parts because Amd will not be making any more socket 939 cpus. I am also thinking of getting the Amd2 because of the dailytech's article saying amd will cut prices July 24th. If the price cuts are correct than I could get a X2 4200+ for $240.

I'll be using my computer for college; I'll be gaming, using word, xcel, making slideshows/presentations, possibly programming, and light if any videoediting.

I plan to start ordering parts around the end of July so that I can build early August. Please help me in choosing a processor. Any help/expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Thanks for not helping :D . You sir are a great person for having the ignorance, and stupidity to waste your time typing something malicious. Thank you for your imput though, I mean 29 views and 1 post...wow...it's kind of sad. It seems that topics can't get any post unless they are stating that intel rules, or amd sucks...

Well, I guess I'll just wait for someone to post something intelligable.

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
If you want to buy a whole new mobo for AM2 setup, why dont you wait for like one more month for Conroe. If you want to upgrade using 939 then I have no comment, but if you have to do a brand new setup, then wait for Conroe, it definitely worth the wait. Core2duo E6600 kills the FX-62 in many benchmark, including video editing, and it cost around $300, not much more than the X2 4200+

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Wait 2 months.

Read on here again.

Change your mind.

I thought you gave good advice. Otherwise, he would be
crying. I was asking for advice, why didn't you tell me
conroe was cheaper and faster.

Next time, more more specific in the subject, as in, only need AMD fanboy advice.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yes conroe is set to release July 27th, but it will be like when the Xbox 360 came out - everyone will want one, but only a million, or half a million or so will. Then you'll have to wait another 6 months or so before you can get your own conroe.

BTW: I'm building a completely new system. I need help choosing the cpu, this will help my decisions on other pieces that I've already look at.

Thank you for your imput.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I am having trouble deciding on a processor for my computer. The following are the processors I am considering.

My problem is that I am thinking of getting Amd2 parts because Amd will not be making any more socket 939 cpus. I am also thinking of getting the Amd2 because of the dailytech's article saying amd will cut prices July 24th. If the price cuts are correct than I could get a X2 4200+ for $240.

I'll be using my computer for college; I'll be gaming, using word, xcel, making slideshows/presentations, possibly programming, and light if any videoediting.

I plan to start ordering parts around the end of July so that I can build early August. Please help me in choosing a processor. Any help/expertise would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest if you're going to wait you may want to consider Intel now. They have an excellent new chip called Core 2. It spanks the AM2, and will be less than than 4200+ (maybe) but there may be some supply problems due to yield on the 4MB cache, so if you're not willing to wait until what maybe Sept,

I would go for the 4200 even the 4600 maybe feasible, but I don't think AMD will drop the price as much on the higherr end models. They don't suck after all and the dual core K8L may get (as much as ) 70% increase on K8 with the design they showed recently.

It will be AM2 compatible but it may not be around until Q207. If growth continues they mayb eable to push the schedule forward but they haven't really given a date and SAY that they have taped out and are optimizing.

SO, it's possible that some of the improvements may make it into Rev G 65nm at the end of the year.

Intel is not planning anything new until 2008 and the chances are that they may change the socket. I can't say for sure but new archs usually get new sockets.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Lol, I feel bad that everyone thinks they are going to get a conroe XXXX when ever it comes out...it's simple supply and demand, and frankly they will not be able to supply enough chips for everyone demanding one. Prices will proabaly go up when they put out another shipment 4-5 months after the July 27th release.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Thank you for your advice Baron. I can't wait 2-3 months for conroe to come out, then another 4 months to finally be able to purchase mine; like you said supply issues. What I really need to know is: should I go for socket 939 and have an expensive upgrade in3-4 years, or should i get a amd2 and make an easy upgrade in 3-4?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Thank you for your advice Baron. I can't wait 2-3 months for conroe to come out, then another 4 months to finally be able to purchase mine; like you said supply issues. What I really need to know is: should I go for socket 939 and have an expensive upgrade in3-4 years, or should i get a amd2 and make an easy upgrade in 3-4?

Buying now I would get AM2. I just bought last Oct and I don't think I want to change everything right now.

If you get some good SLI memory (Corsair mainly) you will be faster than 939 and have an upgrade path.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Buying now I would get AM2. I just bought last Oct and I don't think I want to change everything right now.

Ok, so I should go Am2, but I should wait till after the price drops right?
And if the price drops are correct, should I got with a higher end processor like the 4400 or the 4600? Or should I stick to the 4200?

Thanks again Baron.

pat

Expert

There is nothing that that could lead you to believe that in 3-4 years, you will be able to only swap CPU or other parts..

Don't waste your time wondering what to do.. just buy something now and enjoy

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

And if the price drops are correct, should I got with a higher end processor like the 4400 or the 4600? Or should I stick to the 4200?

Thanks again Baron.

There are no more 4400s (AMD cancelled the 1MB cache chips) but it depends on how much you can "waste." I figure the 4600+ will be around $400.

sailer

Splendid

Thanks again Baron.

But the best processor you can. If the price drops enough for for a 4400 or 4600, go for it. If you can only afford a 4200, then buy that. I do think that going AM2 is by far the best route. You will find upgradability and support for a lot longer time.

I wouldn't be bothered by the Conroe fans. Conroe may be a better chip, etc, but that's not what you were asking. IMHO, they're no different than if someone was wanting advice about a Chevy and everybody started telling him he should buy a Ford. Some people want Chevies and if that's what they want, then they should be left alone and their choice should be respected. Same with you and wanting an AMD. Doesn't matter why you want it, that's your choice. You wanted advice about 939 or AM2 and that's what should have been given.

As for those who might want to accuse me of being an AMD fan, I run Intels in my office and currently have an AMD in my gaming computer. Next year when I rebuild, who knows what I'll buy. I sure don't. It'll be judged on what I think is best at that time.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

That's why I'm not even thinking about a conroe. I just think that if the Am2 prices are going to drop at the end of this month, I can wait that long.

There are no more 4400s (AMD cancelled the 1MB cache chips) but it depends on how much you can "waste." I figure the 4600+ will be around $400.

Ok. $400 maybe alittle out of my price range, unless I drop my 7900GT to a 7600GT...but that could work out.

Do you think a 4600+ and a 7600GT would last me a while?

AM2 probably will be the way to go for now. Late this year or early next year will be the 65nm AMD cpus. Core 2 duo cpus are a paper launch this year, very limited shipping until next year when they will to into full production. It's about the time the 65nm AMD cpus will be out, taking most of it's advantage out of the Intel. Should be a pretty close race who will have the leading cpu.....

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

Thanks again Baron.

But the best processor you can. If the price drops enough for for a 4400 or 4600, go for it. If you can only afford a 4200, then buy that. I do think that going AM2 is by far the best route. You will find upgradability and support for a lot longer time.

I wouldn't be bothered by the Conroe fans. Conroe may be a better chip, etc, but that's not what you were asking. IMHO, they're no different than if someone was wanting advice about a Chevy and everybody started telling him he should buy a Ford. Some people want Chevies and if that's what they want, then they should be left alone and their choice should be respected. Same with you and wanting an AMD. Doesn't matter why you want it, that's your choice. You wanted advice about 939 or AM2 and that's what should have been given.

As for those who might want to accuse me of being an AMD fan, I run Intels in my office and currently have an AMD in my gaming computer. Next year when I rebuild, who knows what I'll buy. I sure don't. It'll be judged on what I think is best at that time.

Thank you for your imput, and understanding of my wanting Amd. :D

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

That's why I'm not even thinking about a conroe. I just think that if the Am2 prices are going to drop at the end of this month, I can wait that long.

Ok. $400 maybe alittle out of my price range, unless I drop my 7900GT to a 7600GT...but that could work out.

Do you think a 4600+ and a 7600GT would last me a while?

Definitely. If the nVidia 7950GX2 picks up speed the price may drop soon on 7900. It's always a waiting game and sometimes you'll upgrade two months before the price drop and sometimes two months after.

I'd go for the faster video card though if you like games. The CPUs can't run Flash any faster. AMD may also price the 4200+ and 4600+ close together so you'll have sevral options.

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
The AMD price cuts are scheduled around the Core 2 release, so you could wait and see how "paper" the launch is. Even with that the boards are costly, I think the first one that was released on Newegg was 270.00. A bit much IMHO.

If you go AMD go AM2.
And remember not to go cheap on the memory. DDR2 800, and watch the timings.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Okay Oenomel thanks for your advice.
And thanks to everyone who gave good imput. I'll post all the parts for the system I'm going to build later, proabaly on a different thread.

Thanks again.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

Why don't you simply get the 3800+ for around $130???
It will perform better then the 3700+ or even some X2s in single threaded apps you mention. Can get it for even less with the price cuts.

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
If you are going to wait until AM2 is in your range, you might as well wait for conroe to come out and drive down prices. You may wish to wait until AMD releases their response to conroe too if you have the time.