Roaming Profiles Loading as Local on XP machine

Hello Everyone,

I have a terrible problem that i would like to resolve the best way
possible.

I have 100 newly imaged machines. It seems as though everything is working
fine for administrative tasks.

What is happening is when i try to sign onto the computer with a user that
was from a windows 2000 machine, the computer supercedes the roaming profile
and loads a local... the odd thing is that some of the group policy loads,
but not others (start menu policies are in place, no context, no search ect.
but incorrect icons (default) load, not what is in the users roaming
profile.)...

It seems that I can log onto the machine as an admin, or a user that is
currently on a win xp machine. I've rolled out 80+ XP machines without a
hitch, the only change on these new machines is the fact that XP SP2 is
installed.

I'm thinking the the NTUSER.DAT file is getting corrupted, or something
along the lines. What is odd is that sometimes a user will load fine.

I set a policy for detecting slow link + requiring roaming profile with no
avail.

I have never seen a roaming profile load as a local, and on the same machine
within minutes one to load without a hitch.

what could be causing the XP machine to turn a roaming profile into a local
logon?

What can I do to ensure i get a roaming profile?

Do you think being on a win 2k machine going to an XP with SP2 is an issue?
\

I would love to get any and all help possible... i was asked to start
rolling these machines out yesterday and have run into issues.

The users tested were even given full blown admin rights in AD, in my Admin
OU, and local admin on the machine... it still doesn't load properly... :(

thanks in advance!

"Sonny" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a terrible problem that i would like to resolve the best way
> possible.
>
> I have 100 newly imaged machines. It seems as though everything is
working
> fine for administrative tasks.
>
> What is happening is when i try to sign onto the computer with a user that
> was from a windows 2000 machine, the computer supercedes the roaming
profile
> and loads a local... the odd thing is that some of the group policy loads,

That doesn't sound odd since Profiles and GPOs are unrelated.

The location of the user's profile is determined primarily
by the User account in AD, Profile properites IF the user
is a domain user AND the machine is in the domain, and
authenticating, AND the profile share is available.

Profile shares might be missing if you have name resolution
problems (this can also cause authentication problems.)

i have no name resolution problems... these are current users on my network
logging onto machines on my network.

profiles and GPO are unrelated, but if you make a GPO to force a roaming and
a local loads, something is up... :rolleyes:

i don't know how i would have authentication issues as i stated the users
are on a win 2k machine... cannot load into win xp ... but then can load
back into win 2k... they can also load on a win xp sp1 machine, so i'm
thinking that the sysprep killed the ntuser.dat file and is corrupting
something... i still don't know what.

if i log a user into the xp sp2 and it doesn't work, then log back into
win2k... everything works fine except EXCHANGE / outlook client... i know
those are unrelated to profiles too, but something is goofing it up.

> i have no name resolution problems... these are current users on my
network
> logging onto machines on my network.

That is a pretty bold statement. NO name resolution problems?

> profiles and GPO are unrelated, but if you make a GPO to force a roaming
and
> a local loads, something is up... :rolleyes:
>
> i don't know how i would have authentication issues as i stated the users
> are on a win 2k machine... cannot load into win xp ... but then can load

This part is not clear what you mean:

on a Win 2k... cannot load into win xp

????

> back into win 2k... they can also load on a win xp sp1 machine, so i'm
> thinking that the sysprep killed the ntuser.dat file and is corrupting
> something... i still don't know what.

Go look for the .dat files but all of those machines use
the same names and locations (based on the users account
properties.)

> if i log a user into the xp sp2 and it doesn't work, then log back into
> win2k... everything works fine except EXCHANGE / outlook client... i know
> those are unrelated to profiles too, but something is goofing it up.

No, outlook clients store some of the information for the
outlook profile in the user profile.

--
Herb Martin

> > "Sonny" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > >
> > > I have a terrible problem that i would like to resolve the best way
> > > possible.
> > >
> > > I have 100 newly imaged machines. It seems as though everything is
> > working
> > > fine for administrative tasks.
> > >
> > > What is happening is when i try to sign onto the computer with a user
> that
> > > was from a windows 2000 machine, the computer supercedes the roaming
> > profile
> > > and loads a local... the odd thing is that some of the group policy
> loads,
> >
> > That doesn't sound odd since Profiles and GPOs are unrelated.
> >
> > The location of the user's profile is determined primarily
> > by the User account in AD, Profile properites IF the user
> > is a domain user AND the machine is in the domain, and
> > authenticating, AND the profile share is available.
> >
> > Profile shares might be missing if you have name resolution
> > problems (this can also cause authentication problems.)

I'm going to be chatting with a mircosoft tech as well as another engineer
as to the issues with the imaged computers i have... I'm going on the
assumption that the new sysprep for xp sp2 is goofing something up or not
replacing a deleted file.

I will check this thread tomorrow to see if there is any help and i'll
update it with a solution if one if found.

> i have no name resolution problems... these are current users on my
network
> logging onto machines on my network.
>
> profiles and GPO are unrelated, but if you make a GPO to force a roaming
and
> a local loads, something is up... :rolleyes:
>
> i don't know how i would have authentication issues as i stated the users
> are on a win 2k machine... cannot load into win xp ... but then can load
> back into win 2k... they can also load on a win xp sp1 machine, so i'm
> thinking that the sysprep killed the ntuser.dat file and is corrupting
> something... i still don't know what.
>
> if i log a user into the xp sp2 and it doesn't work, then log back into
> win2k... everything works fine except EXCHANGE / outlook client... i know
> those are unrelated to profiles too, but something is goofing it up.

> > "Sonny" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > >
> > > I have a terrible problem that i would like to resolve the best way
> > > possible.
> > >
> > > I have 100 newly imaged machines. It seems as though everything is
> > working
> > > fine for administrative tasks.
> > >
> > > What is happening is when i try to sign onto the computer with a user
> that
> > > was from a windows 2000 machine, the computer supercedes the roaming
> > profile
> > > and loads a local... the odd thing is that some of the group policy
> loads,
> >
> > That doesn't sound odd since Profiles and GPOs are unrelated.
> >
> > The location of the user's profile is determined primarily
> > by the User account in AD, Profile properites IF the user
> > is a domain user AND the machine is in the domain, and
> > authenticating, AND the profile share is available.
> >
> > Profile shares might be missing if you have name resolution
> > problems (this can also cause authentication problems.)

i believe i have no name resolution issues... all i'm doing is setting up a
new machine and using an existing account that works fine... how would name
resolution play a role on the new machines if they are properly DHCP'd when
attaching to the network?

i simply mean these user profiles are perfect... no issues... they are
currently on win 2k machines. when i log them onto the win xp machines the
roaming profiles don't load, they default to local profiles and don't pull
down ALL their data... they do pull down favorites in IE and history... but
no start menu icons.... no desktop icons... on the XP machine...

i'm not sure what i can do about the DAT files... i'm thinking that when the
computers were imaged the ntuser.dat file was either corrupted or something
to the extent that when i join my domain on my network, the file copys down,
but it's not correct. in respect to the fact that it's loading a basic
windows XP default profile as opposed to my roaming...

so i'm thinking there are permission issues on the machine itself... however
there is NO local policy... no local policy on my network.

my GPO's work fine... some settings will copy down to the XP machines...
locked out start menu and desktop, but not others, like forced screen saver
and context menus.

> i believe i have no name resolution issues... all i'm doing is setting up
> new machine and using an existing account that works fine... how would
name
> resolution play a role on the new machines if they are properly DHCP'd
when
> attaching to the network?

DHCP could be wrong (but that's unlikely if other machines
work) but far more likley is that (some of) your servers are
not properly registered with the same DNS server set that
the clients are using (e.g., from DHCP) or that DNS were
not dynamic and some DC info was not recorded (making
authentication fail perhaps.)

> i simply mean these user profiles are perfect... no issues... they are
> currently on win 2k machines.

If the are "on win 2k"...

Then they are LOCAL profiles on the W2k machines and
won't be the same (roaming) profile if you use a different
machine.

> when i log them onto the win xp machines the
> roaming profiles don't load, they default to local profiles and don't pull
> down ALL their data...

> they do pull down favorites in IE and history... but
> no start menu icons.... no desktop icons... on the XP machine...

That sounds like a registry setting or (group) Policy is redirecting
IE etc outside the profile with Folder Redirection which may
be confusing the (profile) issue.

> i'm not sure what i can do about the DAT files... i'm thinking that when
the
> computers were imaged the ntuser.dat file was either corrupted or
something
> to the extent that when i join my domain on my network, the file copys
down,
> but it's not correct. in respect to the fact that it's loading a basic
> windows XP default profile as opposed to my roaming...

NTUser.dat files CAN be copied from one machine to another
(NT class only, no 9x mixing) IF you are willing to accept the
settings.

Before you do that, copy the current/old one to a save directory
in case it doesn't work for you.

Realize the machines have to be SIMILAR "enough" in terms of
Program File locations, installed software, etc to make SENSE.

> so i'm thinking there are permission issues on the machine itself...
however
> there is NO local policy... no local policy on my network.

Policy? Every machine has local policy in SOME sense even if
there is no true LGPO assigned -- it has it's on registry and security
settings etc.

> my GPO's work fine... some settings will copy down to the XP machines...
> locked out start menu and desktop, but not others, like forced screen
saver
> and context menus.

Well, if those setting are (supposed to be) originating from
a GPO then they are not "fine" either.

Your messages to the newsgroup have been very unclear
(not a criticism) and so you might wish to write all of this
down for yourself and get a buddy to read it through with
you -- this usually removes assumptions you are making.

I have done this myself so I am not picking on you but offering
a method that frequently works.

By being explicit you not only clarify the problem but keep
a record of exactly what works/fails and what you have tried
at each step.

I am beginning to believe you have several distinct issues
that may be overlapping and confusing the issue AND/OR
you have tried different things and rules out possibilities
that might still exist etc.

--
Herb Martin