• x1800xt 512mb
  • 57 %
July 1, 2006 1:14:22 AM

well i was wondering, for the money what is better:

- x1900gt 256mb

or

- 7900gt 256mb

or

- x1800xt 256mb - 512mb (preferably 512mb)

im gonna be getting a pc in a few months, and those are the cards im intrested in getting, if u have any other suggestions i am open minded. my price range is 200-300 bucks..i think, i wanna get a pc for about 700 with no case or OS (800, but like 100 bucks after a million rebates).

More about : x1900gt 7900gt x1800xt

July 1, 2006 1:45:39 AM

Either X1800XT or 7900GT. The X1900GT is worse than a X1800XT.
July 1, 2006 2:59:37 AM

Let me see if I can help you out pal. From previous experience I have always had better luck with whichever card had the greatest memory bandwidth. So in your case the nvidia card has a memory interface of 256-bits. The ati cards have a memory interface of 256-bits each. So as you can see there will be no real noticeable difference between them. However, look for additional features of the card such as Vivo, HDTV out and now HDMI.

HOWEVER, I stopped buying computer systems for gaming about a year and a half ago. The constant driver issues, the loudness the fan, the high electric bills, BSODs and a host of other stuff took me to the point of "I can't take it anymore." Not only that, I really had an epiphany that computers were meant for working and not gaming. That is why consoles were built. They don't have any of the problems you may encounter when gaming on a computer, especially and overclocked computer. I definitely have to praise Microsoft for the XBOX 360 and the developers for the games. Most of the games look equally well or better than some of the rendering from high end cards like the three your considering. And I definitely enjoy using a hand contoller verus a keyboard. But to each his/her own.

IMO, you will get more enjoyment out of the money you spend if you consider all your alternatives (either buying a graphics card or buying a console). I was just like you a while back and have never been more pleased and satisfied after buying the XBOX 360.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2006 3:16:48 AM

I personally have not seen either of the ATi cards in action, but my friend has a nVidia 7900GT and it's sweet. I don't know about your processor (his is a 3700+ san diego) but that card can run anything, WITHOUT any drop in FPS.

But I do know that all 3 cards are pretty good, go with whatever is cheaper.
July 1, 2006 3:31:59 AM

7900GT = newer tech, better overclock.

X1800Xt = better picture quality, come sin 512 MB version.
July 1, 2006 11:47:16 AM

Quote:
7900GT = newer tech, better overclock.

X1800Xt = better picture quality, come sin 512 MB version.

7900 has newer tech? Both cards were released about same time. 7900GT does overclock better though.
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2006 1:49:26 PM

I was going to ? the newer tech line too. If anything, the X1800XT with FSAA & OpenEXR HDR at once, and avivo would get the nod of newer tech IMO.
July 1, 2006 2:25:03 PM

i meant it as in, it got released after the X1800XT and there for i consider it "newer" :lol:  :lol: 
July 1, 2006 3:04:57 PM

Quote:
i meant it as in, it got released after the X1800XT and there for i consider it "newer" :lol:  :lol: 

But the 7900GT is essentially a 7800GTX with a die shrink. The 7800GTX was released before the X1800XT, so the ATI is a newer card. Both cards are great, but I'd go for the ATI.
July 1, 2006 3:35:17 PM

ok, u see it in technical terms i guess thats fine, still i'd gow itht he X1800
July 1, 2006 4:46:18 PM

Like everyone else said, I would throw out the x1900gt immediately. If the 7900GT and the X1800XT were the same price, I'd probably take the 7900GT for it's overclocking potential. However, most of the 7900GTs that I've seen are $40-50 higher, leading me to choose the X1800XT. Close call coming down to overclocking, price, and what games I intend to play.
July 1, 2006 5:31:13 PM

Wtf is a TurdBurglar?
July 1, 2006 5:31:30 PM

yeah i have a PS2, but i barely ever use it, but me and my bro are thinking in getting an xbox 360 or ps3, its that i live in a foreign country and i can sell my pc (that is crap) for about 730 bucks, and so i might as well use that money n get myself a better pc
July 1, 2006 5:33:40 PM

Quote:
Wtf is a TurdBurglar?

maybe somebody that steals turds? i dunno... its pretty funny though, very creative
July 1, 2006 6:58:22 PM

Quote:
Wtf is a TurdBurglar?

maybe somebody that steals turds? i dunno... its pretty funny though, very creative Made me fall off my chair.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2006 4:18:03 AM

It's an old term. Grampa used to talk about it all the time. From back in the days of outhouses. See the turds were good fertalizer, sometimes all the poor farmers could afford (too poor to own many animals). But these thieves would go to the back of an outhouse with a bucket, catch the turds as they dropped, stealing them from building up in the fertilizer pit. Many farms went under due to these heinious crimbs. The term Turdburgler was coined and stirred quite an emotional explosion each time it was mentioned at town meetings. I'm telling ya, fearing getting smashed, we all moved away from Gramps at first mention of that name. :roll:

If you found no humor in this, forgive me. it's been a long day, way past bedtime and I'm beyond wiped out. :oops: 
July 2, 2006 4:21:00 AM

Quote:
It's an old term. Grampa used to talk about it all the time. From back in the days of outhouses. See the turds were good fertalizer, sometimes all the poor farmers could afford (too poor to own many animals). But these thieves would go to the back of an outhouse with a bucket, catch the turds as they dropped, stealing them from building up in the fertilizer pit. Many farms went under due to these heinious crimbs. The term Turdburgler was coined and stirred quite an emotional explosion each time it was mentioned at town meetings. I'm telling ya, fearing getting smashed, we all moved away from Gramps at first mention of that name. :roll:

If you found no humor in this, forgive me. it's been a long day, way past bedtime and I'm beyond wiped out. :oops: 
I did dont worry man i'm tired too.
July 2, 2006 4:23:15 AM

pretty good, although u can see ur tiredness afected it
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2006 4:30:32 AM

Quote:
pretty good, although u can see ur tiredness afected it

Oh well, better not quit my day job. I guess having real farming stories told to me as a kid helped in the humor. But with that note, I'm off to bed, maybe some other day I can be funny. :cry: 
July 17, 2006 8:22:51 PM

Quote:
Wtf is a TurdBurglar?

Here in the UK its generally ment as a derogatory/tongue in cheek label for Homosexuals....
July 17, 2006 9:26:04 PM

LIke everybody says... no X1900 GT, and at stock speeds I'd pick the X1800 XT, if you're an overclocker the 7900 GT has more headroom though.
July 17, 2006 9:48:55 PM

Quote:
Let me see if I can help you out pal. From previous experience I have always had better luck with whichever card had the greatest memory bandwidth. So in your case the nvidia card has a memory interface of 256-bits. The ati cards have a memory interface of 256-bits each. So as you can see there will be no real noticeable difference between them. However, look for additional features of the card such as Vivo, HDTV out and now HDMI.

HOWEVER, I stopped buying computer systems for gaming about a year and a half ago. The constant driver issues, the loudness the fan, the high electric bills, BSODs and a host of other stuff took me to the point of "I can't take it anymore." Not only that, I really had an epiphany that computers were meant for working and not gaming. That is why consoles were built. They don't have any of the problems you may encounter when gaming on a computer, especially and overclocked computer. I definitely have to praise Microsoft for the XBOX 360 and the developers for the games. Most of the games look equally well or better than some of the rendering from high end cards like the three your considering. And I definitely enjoy using a hand contoller verus a keyboard. But to each his/her own.

IMO, you will get more enjoyment out of the money you spend if you consider all your alternatives (either buying a graphics card or buying a console). I was just like you a while back and have never been more pleased and satisfied after buying the XBOX 360.
While the Xbox360 has a 128-bit memory BUS. As to the other things, you know what they say: "a PC's problem usually lies between the monitor and the chair."
July 18, 2006 3:12:32 AM

At stock settings the x1800xt is better, but the 7900gt overclocks better, and if your willing to volt-mod it like I did (because the chip is essentially an under-volted 7900gtx = it can take it) it is a GRAPHICS DEMON! :twisted:

XFX Xtreme 7900GT @1.5v, 710-core/1800-ram !!!! <----------------------
(NOTE: this is using good air cooling w/heatsinks on ram, and heatsinks
on voltage regulators on back of card -->you want to cool the regulators even if you just O/C).

Using an AMD X2 4600+ cpu, 2GB OCZ ram, and a WD rapter HardDrive:
3DMark06: ~6200 marks
3DMark05:~11,000 marks

I play BF2 @1280x1024, all settings maxed with 8xAF, 2xAA!
July 19, 2006 2:09:14 PM

Quote:
Here in the UK its generally ment as a derogatory/tongue in cheek label for Homosexuals....

Booooo!
I unfortunately didn't check different cultural implications before choosing my name :lol:  .

I just checked this thread again. I didn't know my name had sparked so much discussion.
July 19, 2006 2:12:23 PM

Quote:
It's an old term. Grampa used to talk about it all the time. From back in the days of outhouses. See the turds were good fertalizer, sometimes all the poor farmers could afford (too poor to own many animals). But these thieves would go to the back of an outhouse with a bucket, catch the turds as they dropped, stealing them from building up in the fertilizer pit. Many farms went under due to these heinious crimbs. The term Turdburgler was coined and stirred quite an emotional explosion each time it was mentioned at town meetings. I'm telling ya, fearing getting smashed, we all moved away from Gramps at first mention of that name. Rolling Eyes

It's like we lived the same childhood!
July 19, 2006 2:19:54 PM

ShitStealer and CrapCatcher were also popular names for feces theft.
July 19, 2006 2:24:22 PM

Quote:
ShitStealer and CrapCatcher were also popular names for feces theft.

:lol: 

In my random word combination endeavors, I never ran across those terms. If only I had followed the feces theft theme further...
July 19, 2006 2:30:46 PM

There's a whole world of possibilities.

FecesWrangler, PoopSnatcher, FudgeGrabber, CrapSmuggler, ShitHandler, BrownieBurglar, TurdTaker, BrownBandit, SquirtsSwindler, MudRunner....

And I haven't even explored the urine possibilites.
July 19, 2006 2:56:26 PM

Quote:

Booooo!
I unfortunately didn't check different cultural implications before choosing my name :lol:  .

I just checked this thread again. I didn't know my name had sparked so much discussion.

Well now ya know. Still a funny name though.
!