Detection problem with Samsung DVD burner

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I just bought the new AM2 system parts in my sig. Installed everything but the sound card, plugged everything in, everything works except for the DVD drive.

It's the only IDE device in the computer, so I originally set it as the primary master. The BIOS wouldn't detect it, so I set it as the primary slave. No-go. I tried every jumper configuration, used the secondary IDE connector on the cable, flashed the BIOS, changed settings in the BIOS, everything short of resetting the CMOS.

The 3 SATA drives got picked up right away, but the DVD burner wasn't. Since this is a completely new build, there is no previous installation of Windows to use.

I would bet that the drive is DOA, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of a bad IDE controller, even though it said it was searching for IDE drives and couldn't find them. I'd prefer not to add a controller card, because the onboard should work and I don't want the extra cable clutter.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I fixed the problem by buying a new cable - Asus sells great boards but horrible IDE cables. I also bought another DVD burner to see if the drive was DOA, but both were picked up immediately when I put the new drive and the cable in (the Samsung is the master, the new Lite-On is the slave).

It came with a price, though - the new drive was over $70 from Circuit City. And I didn't want to wait, so I took the plunge and bought it retail. At least I got another copy of Nero and more screws. Currently installing Windows on the Raptor.

TRENDING THREADS