Andy

i have a 2 years old pentium III w/700mhz. windows xp pro
in it. Since a few months i have some real hardtime to
make it runs properly. it is way too slow and it seems to
get slower every day. I think it is time for a little
general clean up. i also have a g drive with all my
personnal stuff on it. I was wandering, is it possible to
format my c drive without affecting my g drive and then
reinstall win xp pro on it(on my c drive). More important
will it be the best solution.

thanks

paulg@aei.ca
floydian1973@hotmail.com

Yes you can format the C: drive and then clean install XP without affecting
the other hard drives on your system. See the other replies to your post
for good links.

"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have a 2 years old pentium III w/700mhz. windows xp pro
> in it. Since a few months i have some real hardtime to
> make it runs properly. it is way too slow and it seems to
> get slower every day. I think it is time for a little
> general clean up. i also have a g drive with all my
> personnal stuff on it. I was wandering, is it possible to
> format my c drive without affecting my g drive and then
> reinstall win xp pro on it(on my c drive). More important
> will it be the best solution.
>
> thanks
>
> paulg@aei.ca
> floydian1973@hotmail.com

The leading cause of system slow down seems to be spyware. This site has
great info regarding spyware and it's effects on a system
http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm . After the clean install you may wish
to look at ways to prevent your system from becoming reinfected.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| i have a 2 years old pentium III w/700mhz. windows xp pro
| in it. Since a few months i have some real hardtime to
| make it runs properly. it is way too slow and it seems to
| get slower every day. I think it is time for a little
| general clean up. i also have a g drive with all my
| personnal stuff on it. I was wandering, is it possible to
| format my c drive without affecting my g drive and then
| reinstall win xp pro on it(on my c drive). More important
| will it be the best solution.
|
| thanks
|
| paulg@aei.ca
| floydian1973@hotmail.com

How often do you defragment your C: drive? What you are describing could be
as simple as that (and sounds likely). You should be defragging your hard
drive very regularly. You can schedule it in the task scheduler for a daily
or at least weekly run. To use the defragment tool, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314848

It is easy.

In news:%231R8h%23kpEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst@msn.com> typed:

> How often do you defragment your C: drive? What you are
> describing
> could be as simple as that (and sounds likely). You should be
> defragging your hard drive very regularly. You can schedule it
> in
> the task scheduler for a daily or at least weekly run.

You should defrag when doing so speeds up the computer. When that
is depends on your usage patterns, but for the vast majority of
computer users, daily is *way* overkill. Even weekly is more
often than most people need. Monthly, or even less frequently, is
sufficient for most people.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi

Please see the following article by Michael Stevens:

"Clean Install Windows XP"

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

Andy wrote:
> i have a 2 years old pentium III w/700mhz. windows xp pro
> in it. Since a few months i have some real hardtime to
> make it runs properly. it is way too slow and it seems to
> get slower every day. I think it is time for a little
> general clean up. i also have a g drive with all my
> personnal stuff on it. I was wandering, is it possible to
> format my c drive without affecting my g drive and then
> reinstall win xp pro on it(on my c drive). More important
> will it be the best solution.
>
> thanks
>
> paulg@aei.ca
> floydian1973@hotmail.com

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Format XP
http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
--