help choosing a socket 478 heatsink

I need help choosing a socket 478 heatsink. What do you all recommend? I am planning to upgrade in a year or so, so I don't want to spend too much.

I saw this

what do you all think?
7 answers Last reply
More about help choosing socket heatsink
  1. I would say go for the Zalman CNPS9500. It might be overkill, but it works on LGA775, so if you ever want to upgrade to a newer Intel based system, you could still use this heatsink.
  2. Quote:
    I need help choosing a socket 478 heatsink. What do you all recommend? I am planning to upgrade in a year or so, so I don't want to spend too much.

I saw this

what do you all think?

The best air cooler I have used is the Thermalright SI-120.
    The way it is built it not just cools better than any I have used but also aids cooling your ram,voltage regulators,ect.

http://www.svc.com/si-120.html

Spend the money and use it on your next upgrade as well.

Z
  3. So the SI-120 will work for my p4 and a future upgrade like the c2d?
  4. It might help to understand what your system specs are (CPU Speed), and why you want a better cooler (OC'ing?).

Also you should take into consideration what 3rd party HSF will properly fit on certain system MB.
  5. My dell 8300 mobo just died and I have already upgraded pretty much everything in the case. So now I just bought a retail motherboard and also had to dump the dell case. Essentially, all that is "of dell" is the cpu and the heatsink

I want to get a new heatsink that will work with my new motherboard
    I have a p4 2.8 socket 478 and I just got this mobo
    http://hypermicro.com/product.asp?pf_id=MBIN527LPT&dept_id=34-001
  6. ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 4 CPU COOLER FOR INTEL 478

I'm guessing if you shop at SVC, I'd say that would be pretty decent for your 2.8 for under 30 bucks. ($27.20)
  7. Zalman CNPS7700-Cu

Zalman CNPS9500

THERMALRIGHT SI-120

THERMALRIGHT XP-120

Any of these will be more than sufficient I have the CNPS7700-Cu and it is a beast of a heatsink.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Socket Overclocking Product