Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard and Processor Swap

Last response: in Motherboards
July 1, 2006 2:55:57 AM

I just upgraded my computer with a new power supply, motherboard, and processor. I did a clean swap and have been able to access the BIOS, which recognized the hard drives, but after exiting the BIOS I am taken to a Windows startup screen where you can select to boot in safe mode, normal, etc. At that startup screen, however, my keyboard no longer works, whereas it did work in the BIOS, so the 30 second countdown to start windows normally continues since I can't initiate anything with the keyboard and then from there it just cycles back to the motherboard startup screen where you can enter the BIOS if you want and then it returns to the windows startup screen where you lose keyboard functionality again.

It is a vicious cycle. Any idea for a remedy?

My problem might be related to this (which I discovered after browsing the forums in search of a fix to my problem):

Quote:
Q. After changing motherboards my system has problems in Windows.

If you have upgraded you motherboard to a new board with a different architecture or chipset you will, at minimum, need to install the appropriate drivers for the chipset.

Sometimes you may need to fully reinstall the OS to regain a completely fast and stable system, but you should try installing/re-applying the chipset drivers first.

For Windows 2000 and XP your easiest solution is to do a repair install. That process will detect the new hardware, remove the old, and configure the parts to work together.

In Win9x the easiest way to make a new board work is to:
1. Copy the new drivers to your hard drive before you change boards, because the CDROM will not be accessible until the drivers for the new IDE controller are loaded.
2. Copy the OS directory (Win95, Win98) from the CD to a file on your hard drive.
3. Go into safe mode, remove all installed drivers from the control panel, and remove all devices from device manager.
4. Install the new board
5. Start the system, and when the new devices are detected, use the “browse” button to locate the drivers/files you saved in steps 1 and 2.

Also be aware that changes in hardware can place an increased demand on the power supply, which may or may not require a larger capacity unit.

So I do not currently have any of the drivers on the system. I thought that if I got so far as that Windows boot screen I might be able to get in and fix any problems that might arise from there.

Any ideas on what I should do? How would I do a "repair install" (in reference to the quote)?

Your help is appreciated.
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 1, 2006 5:00:03 AM

If you can't get the keyboard working, I would format and do a fresh install. If you want to save your old files, you could try placing your old board back in, and back them up with a program such as norton ghost. You could also try a usb keyboard (instead of ps2 or vice versa).
July 1, 2006 5:11:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, o1die.

The keyboard is a USB. I tried it as that and with a PS2 adaptor. Neither have worked. What should I be looking for in the BIOS to "enable" the keyboard as you previously mentioned (although I think you edited it out)?
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 1, 2006 7:21:58 AM

I was referring only to usb devices. Sometimes they're disabled by default in the motherboard bios.
!