Upgrading vista to windows 7

geovet

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hello,
I am currently using vista home premium. i have two questions: does it worth to upgrade vista to windows 7? and if yes how do i do that? and if i do upgrade it, is the upgrade going to erase my existing files?

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Don't do a clean install if you are going from Windows Vista. I have performed many upgrades for many people, and while it does take longer, it keeps absolutely everything. As for the is it worth it, IMO, it is more than worth it. The difference is like going from Windows 98 to Windows XP, even though they look similar. The performance upgrades are well worth the money, too, as almost every aspect of performance has been upgraded (DirectX 11, etc) and it better than XP IMO.

In my opinion, windows-7 is a winner, and well worth the upgrade.

1) Download and run the windows-7 upgrade advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

It will identify potential issues.

2) If you are keeping the same 32 or 64 bit operation, an upgrade in place will work well.
If you are having troubles with vista, or if you are going to change to a different 32 or 64 bit flavor, then a clean install is in order.

3) For a clean install, use the windows easy transfer to export all of your files and settings to another disk.
After windows-7 is clean installed, you can import your files and settings. You will have to reinstall your apps.

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Windows 7 is by far better than Windows Vista. Yes it is worth the upgrade. Things to remember when upgrading to Windows 7:
• Make a complete computer Back-up.
• You can only upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows Vista Professional to Windows 7 Professional, and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. If you do not do this you will have to do a clean install, (in which erases all data)
• Uninstall any antivirus!
• Make sure you have the right amount of bit. (32 or 64)
• Set a lot of time away for the upgrade. I have had some take a whole day and other 20 minutes.