Strange SRV records

Bruce

I have the following SRV record in my DNS server:
_ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.

and

_ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.training.com

What does the first SRV record mean?

Bruce

Do you why I would be getting unqualified names like these? I have not seen
this in other networks.

"Bruce" wrote:

> I have the following SRV record in my DNS server:
> _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.
>
> and
>
> _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.training.com
>
> What does the first SRV record mean?

Tinfoil hat securely fastened, =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?= pounded the keyboard to
produce

> I have the following SRV record in my DNS server:
> _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.
>
> and
>
> _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.training.com
>
> What does the first SRV record mean?

The same thing as the second one. It's just an unqualified name, and I'm
guessing you found it sitting in the "root" of "training.com" in DNS.

Laura
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Delete the first one (the non-FQDN). It's either been added manually, or
got added before DNS was properly configured.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"Bruce" wrote:

> I have the following SRV record in my DNS server:
> _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.
>
> and
>
> _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.training.com
>
> What does the first SRV record mean?

Bruce

I tried that, but they come right back. None were added manually!!

"Bruce" wrote:

> Do you why I would be getting unqualified names like these? I have not seen
> this in other networks.
>
> "Bruce" wrote:
>
> > I have the following SRV record in my DNS server:
> > _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.
> >
> > and
> >
> > _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.training.com
> >
> > What does the first SRV record mean?

Interesting...

When you delete all records, do both the FQDN and the hostname come back or
just the hostname?

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Bruce" wrote:

> I tried that, but they come right back. None were added manually!!
>
> "Bruce" wrote:
>
> > Do you why I would be getting unqualified names like these? I have not seen
> > this in other networks.
> >
> > "Bruce" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the following SRV record in my DNS server:
> > > _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.training.com
> > >
> > > What does the first SRV record mean?

Bruce

I only delete the ones that only have the hostname and a dot. Should I try
deleting the FQDN entries as well?

"Bruce" wrote:

> I tried that, but they come right back. None were added manually!!
>
> "Bruce" wrote:
>
> > Do you why I would be getting unqualified names like these? I have not seen
> > this in other networks.
> >
> > "Bruce" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the following SRV record in my DNS server:
> > > _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > _ldap SRV [0][100][389] trillium.training.com
> > >
> > > What does the first SRV record mean?

Delete the _msdcs folder ;-)

Netlogon will re-create it when it starts.