Permissions "lost" on file.. how?

On Windows 2000 Server which is PDC and file server, there is a folder
which is required to only be available to three specific users.

The setup is as follows on the folder:

Sharing tab: Share this folder

Share permissions tab: FULL CONTROL:
Administrator
Backup Operators
Creator Owner
and the 3 users mentioned above

Security tab: Everyone Full control
Allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object
is checked.
Advanced tab: Permission: Full Control; Apply to: this folder,
subfolders and files

One of the three users in question tried to open a file she created
some time ago. The file is in a sub-folder of the folder described
above. She was denied access (told her to check permissions).

I logged on as admin at the file server and was also denied access to
the file, although I was offerred to take ownership, which I did.

Can anyone explain how this file could have become "separated" from
its parent folder's permissions since they are supposedly "inherited"?

THANK YOU!
1 answer Last reply
More about permissions lost file

    Somebody with full control unchecked the inherit box and changed the
    permissions?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net

[...]