Hi, first time post. New computer, old problems...

pbian

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I've been having some problems running games recently, I had an old computer that, after running a graphically intensive game for a while, freeze, give me slightly scrambled picture, and then the monitor would turn off. The problem is I just built a new computer and everything is running pretty cool, 50 C (give or take) while under load and it is still doing this... I can't figure out which part is causing the problem :(

pbian

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
So here's the specs for my PC, I have a P4 D 805 2.66 ghz, OCZ 2x512 PC2-6400 (the timing wasn't what it was advertised so I set it what it should be 5-5-5-10, not sure if that has anything to do with anything). BFG 7900 GT, and ASUS P5LD2. I was originally planning to overclock the processor, but these problems started happening. I really never overclocked before so I'm a noobie when it comes to bios. I set the CPU back to normal and it was still happening.

The game is quake 4 I set AA to 8xS and I couldn't get pass the intro, regardless of overclock, when I turn it down to 2xQ and it was fine... so I'm thinking more and more that it's a gfx card problem, I put a Zalman vga cooler on my 7900gt with arctic silver and it runs 40 C idle, my old computer also had a BFG, a 6800gt.

Any help would be very useful, thank you! :D

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
There is another topic in here about that motherboard having issues with the pci-e slot. Do a search for it.

One possible solution is to use the other pci-e slot, seemed it worked in a review somewhere.

GL

pbian

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
lol, yeah I was just making stuff up cause I had no idea what he meant, but maybe you can tell me?

lol, yeah I was just making stuff up cause I had no idea what he meant, but maybe you can tell me?

I think you meant you pushed the video card firmly into the PCIE slot on the MB. Jimmytheassasin was assuming you had ventured into the system BIOS and turned the knobs. If you don't lock the PCI bus instability will be an issue if you Overclock. And, someone might steal it if you don't lock it.

pbian

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
:p no knobs were turned on the PCI-E side of the bios, just the cpu, and yes I pushed it in pretty firmly.

:p no knobs were turned on the PCI-E side of the bios, just the cpu, and yes I pushed it in pretty firmly.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you had and old computer that locked up and froze the picture and now you have an entirely new computer (none of the old parts) and it does the same thing? How so I guess is my question?

pbian

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
the only part I reused was one of the dvd-rom drives, nothing else. I mean it's probably not the exact same problem, but both systems lock up when it is running something very graphically intensive, but no overheating not overclocked.

Here is what made the lock ups happen:

1. increasing AA 4x - 8x usually does it
2. overclocking cpu, even though it's only to 3.33ghz (zalman CNPS9500) which is nothing with the 805D it still scrambles and locks up, at the time cpu was running at around 53 C, gpu at 46 C. (I just installed this system all new parts, when it locks up and goes black the PC is still powered, and I don't think it's the PSU I have a hiper 580W, very ooh la la PSU)

If you can survive the first couple minutes of a game, it looks like you're fine....

That's all the info I have for now, it's OCed at 3.0ghz and I'll leave it running tonight to see how it goes...

the only part I reused was one of the dvd-rom drives, nothing else. I mean it's probably not the exact same problem, but both systems lock up when it is running something very graphically intensive, but no overheating not overclocked.

Here is what made the lock ups happen:

1. increasing AA 4x - 8x usually does it
2. overclocking cpu, even though it's only to 3.33ghz (zalman CNPS9500) which is nothing with the 805D it still scrambles and locks up, at the time cpu was running at around 53 C, gpu at 46 C. (I just installed this system all new parts, when it locks up and goes black the PC is still powered, and I don't think it's the PSU I have a hiper 580W, very ooh la la PSU)

If you can survive the first couple minutes of a game, it looks like you're fine....

That's all the info I have for now, it's OCed at 3.0ghz and I'll leave it running tonight to see how it goes...

A lot of reports with troubles with that board, I wish I could give specifics. Like Jimmy the assasin said. If you are overclocking the ASUS board try doing the following:

Enter BIOS
Enter Jumperf Free Configuration
Enter PCI Clock Syncronization
Lock it at one of the settings 33.3 or 100.

Just like Jimmythe assasin said.

Try your game and see if your system stabalizes. That's probably why you get to only 3.0 before your system crashes. You should go well past 3.0 with this setting, especially with the Zalman heatsink/fan.

pbian

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I knew I shoulda gotten the P5WD2 instead of P5LD2... I'll go ahead and givge that a try... Thnx. :D

Update: Works woohoo, thnx dude... 5105 3dmark06, time to overclock the gfx card :p

P.S. you just like typing the name jimmytheassassin don't you? :p

Update: CRAP, as soon as I turned AA to 4X it gave me problems again :( damn, maybe I should update the bios?

TRENDING THREADS