how do I remove server from dfs replication

we have several servers that are dfs replica's for a folder of 20gb
software install files

one of them I want to remove from this replication and then safely
delete all of the files without it replicating back to the other servers
and deleting everyones files .... how do I do this safely?

im testing this first on a small test lan where i deleted the server
replica from dfs yet when i delete or add files into the deleted servers
folder it still replicates back to the other servers ..... what did I
miss?
4 answers Last reply
More about remove server replication

    You should remove this using the Dfs console - but you'll need to replicate
    the changes to all DCs.

    If this fails, you can remove the box from the replica set in ADU&C\ System\
    File Replication Service\ Domain System Volume (SYSVOL Share)

    In order to see the System container, you'll need to enable Advanced
    Features under the View menu.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "jas0n" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    we have several servers that are dfs replica's for a folder of 20gb
    software install files

    one of them I want to remove from this replication and then safely
    delete all of the files without it replicating back to the other servers
    and deleting everyones files .... how do I do this safely?

    im testing this first on a small test lan where i deleted the server
    replica from dfs yet when i delete or add files into the deleted servers
    folder it still replicates back to the other servers ..... what did I
    miss?

    In article <#PT$T9v4EHA.2428@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, ptw2001@hotmail.com
    says...
    > You should remove this using the Dfs console - but you'll need to replicate
    > the changes to all DCs.
    >
    > If this fails, you can remove the box from the replica set in ADU&C\ System\
    > File Replication Service\ Domain System Volume (SYSVOL Share)
    >
    > In order to see the System container, you'll need to enable Advanced
    > Features under the View menu.

    there are just 2 dc's and on server1 using the dfs console i removed
    server2 from the replica set, waited a little, checked it had replicated
    to server2 which it had

    i then created 1 file in the dfs shared folder on server2 to check it
    wasnt replicating back to server1 but the file replicated, deleted it
    and it replicated the deletion

    i dont fancy explaining why all the dc's suddenly lost their 20gb of
    files and have to resynch over their slow wan links ;)

    so ... is that the way I should do it? maybe just needed to restart the
    frs service? i'll try that tomorrow before i go digging around and
    removing advanced objects ...

    Then try removing the replica from ADU&C\ System\ File Replication Service\

    In article <#PT$T9v4EHA.2428@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, ptw2001@hotmail.com
    says...
    > You should remove this using the Dfs console - but you'll need to
    > replicate
    > the changes to all DCs.
    >
    > If this fails, you can remove the box from the replica set in ADU&C\
    > System\
    > File Replication Service\ Domain System Volume (SYSVOL Share)
    >
    > In order to see the System container, you'll need to enable Advanced
    > Features under the View menu.

    there are just 2 dc's and on server1 using the dfs console i removed
    server2 from the replica set, waited a little, checked it had replicated
    to server2 which it had

    i then created 1 file in the dfs shared folder on server2 to check it
    wasnt replicating back to server1 but the file replicated, deleted it
    and it replicated the deletion

    i dont fancy explaining why all the dc's suddenly lost their 20gb of
    files and have to resynch over their slow wan links ;)

    so ... is that the way I should do it? maybe just needed to restart the
    frs service? i'll try that tomorrow before i go digging around and
    removing advanced objects ...
  4. Hello,
    I am using a replication software instead but it is not responding accurately in the linux os?
    Server replication UK :hello:

Servers DFS Active Directory Windows