how do I remove server from dfs replication

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 16, 2004 1:35:37 AM

we have several servers that are dfs replica's for a folder of 20gb
software install files

one of them I want to remove from this replication and then safely
delete all of the files without it replicating back to the other servers
and deleting everyones files .... how do I do this safely?

im testing this first on a small test lan where i deleted the server
replica from dfs yet when i delete or add files into the deleted servers
folder it still replicates back to the other servers ..... what did I
miss?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 2:39:12 AM

You should remove this using the Dfs console - but you'll need to replicate
the changes to all DCs.

If this fails, you can remove the box from the replica set in ADU&C\ System\
File Replication Service\ Domain System Volume (SYSVOL Share)

In order to see the System container, you'll need to enable Advanced
Features under the View menu.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"jas0n" <no@email.here> wrote in message
we have several servers that are dfs replica's for a folder of 20gb
software install files

one of them I want to remove from this replication and then safely
delete all of the files without it replicating back to the other servers
and deleting everyones files .... how do I do this safely?

im testing this first on a small test lan where i deleted the server
replica from dfs yet when i delete or add files into the deleted servers
folder it still replicates back to the other servers ..... what did I
miss?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 3:29:00 AM

In article <#PT$T9v4EHA.2428@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, ptw2001@hotmail.com
says...
> You should remove this using the Dfs console - but you'll need to replicate
> the changes to all DCs.
>
> If this fails, you can remove the box from the replica set in ADU&C\ System\
> File Replication Service\ Domain System Volume (SYSVOL Share)
>
> In order to see the System container, you'll need to enable Advanced
> Features under the View menu.

there are just 2 dc's and on server1 using the dfs console i removed
server2 from the replica set, waited a little, checked it had replicated
to server2 which it had

i then created 1 file in the dfs shared folder on server2 to check it
wasnt replicating back to server1 but the file replicated, deleted it
and it replicated the deletion

i dont fancy explaining why all the dc's suddenly lost their 20gb of
files and have to resynch over their slow wan links ;)

so ... is that the way I should do it? maybe just needed to restart the
frs service? i'll try that tomorrow before i go digging around and
removing advanced objects ...
December 16, 2004 10:58:10 AM

Then try removing the replica from ADU&C\ System\ File Replication Service\

In article <#PT$T9v4EHA.2428@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, ptw2001@hotmail.com
says...
> You should remove this using the Dfs console - but you'll need to
> replicate
> the changes to all DCs.
>
> If this fails, you can remove the box from the replica set in ADU&C\
> System\
> File Replication Service\ Domain System Volume (SYSVOL Share)
>
> In order to see the System container, you'll need to enable Advanced
> Features under the View menu.

there are just 2 dc's and on server1 using the dfs console i removed
server2 from the replica set, waited a little, checked it had replicated
to server2 which it had

i then created 1 file in the dfs shared folder on server2 to check it
wasnt replicating back to server1 but the file replicated, deleted it
and it replicated the deletion

i dont fancy explaining why all the dc's suddenly lost their 20gb of
files and have to resynch over their slow wan links ;)

so ... is that the way I should do it? maybe just needed to restart the
frs service? i'll try that tomorrow before i go digging around and
removing advanced objects ...
January 14, 2010 5:08:21 AM

Hello,
I am using a replication software instead but it is not responding accurately in the linux os?
Server replication UK :hello:
!