AD Replication error

georgek

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

Hello,
I've been dealing with a replication error between my only 2 DCs for 2 days,
and even though I read a lot of articles through the KB (including
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171) I'm still unable to replicate
DC's.

Now the error when I force with "Replicate Now" says: "The following error
occurred during the attempt to synchronize the domain controllers: The naming
context is in the process of being removed or is not replicated from the
specified server."

Both DC's have a DNS as AD-integrated, the zone name is the domain name,
there is no mismatched namespace (there was but I fixed using KB 257623,)
SOA, NS, and A records are as the KB says it should be, and each DC is
pointing to its own DNS. What am I missing that I can't still replicate my
DC's?

I really appreciate your help.
Have a great day,

Jorge

Check for lingering objects, if you're using Strict replication it will stop
replication from the "bad" DC. Also check the NTDS settings object that you
have the correct DN in the serverReference attribute, otherwise FRS will not
run.

Do you have EventIDs that you can post?

Some tools that might help you track down the issue:
Netdiag
Dcdiag
Ntfrsutl
Sonar
Ultrasound

Regards,
/Jimmy
--
Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

"GeorgeK" <GeorgeK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I've been dealing with a replication error between my only 2 DCs for 2
> days,
> and even though I read a lot of articles through the KB (including
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171) I'm still unable to replicate
> DC's.
>
> Now the error when I force with "Replicate Now" says: "The following error
> occurred during the attempt to synchronize the domain controllers: The
> naming
> context is in the process of being removed or is not replicated from the
> specified server."
>
> Both DC's have a DNS as AD-integrated, the zone name is the domain name,
> there is no mismatched namespace (there was but I fixed using KB 257623,)
> SOA, NS, and A records are as the KB says it should be, and each DC is
> pointing to its own DNS. What am I missing that I can't still replicate my
> DC's?
>
> I really appreciate your help.
> Have a great day,
>
> Jorge

georgek

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

Hi Jimmy,
The event ID I got is 1265 with this description:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NTDS KCC
Event Category: Knowledge Consistency Checker
Event ID: 1265
Date: 12/16/2004
Time: 10:19:56 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PDC_SBCC
The attempt to establish a replication link with parameters

Partition: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=SBCC,DC=com
Source DSA DN: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=RASERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=SBCC,DC=com
Source DSA Address: 047d3c80-f30f-46de-8d50-49c29a93322a._msdcs.SBCC.com
Inter-site Transport (if any):

failed with the following status:

Access is denied.

The record data is the status code. This operation will be retried.
Data:
0000: 05 00 00 00 ....

The event appears 3 times, only the first line in the description changes
amont them:
Partition: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=SBCC,DC=com
Partition: CN=Configuration,DC=SBCC,DC=com
Partition: DC=SBCC,DC=com

"Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

> Check for lingering objects, if you're using Strict replication it will stop
> replication from the "bad" DC. Also check the NTDS settings object that you
> have the correct DN in the serverReference attribute, otherwise FRS will not
> run.
>
> Do you have EventIDs that you can post?
>
> Some tools that might help you track down the issue:
> Netdiag
> Dcdiag
> Ntfrsutl
> Sonar
> Ultrasound
>
> Regards,
> /Jimmy
> --
> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>

> "GeorgeK" <GeorgeK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I've been dealing with a replication error between my only 2 DCs for 2
> > days,
> > and even though I read a lot of articles through the KB (including
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171) I'm still unable to replicate
> > DC's.
> >
> > Now the error when I force with "Replicate Now" says: "The following error
> > occurred during the attempt to synchronize the domain controllers: The
> > naming
> > context is in the process of being removed or is not replicated from the
> > specified server."
> >
> > Both DC's have a DNS as AD-integrated, the zone name is the domain name,
> > there is no mismatched namespace (there was but I fixed using KB 257623,)
> > SOA, NS, and A records are as the KB says it should be, and each DC is
> > pointing to its own DNS. What am I missing that I can't still replicate my
> > DC's?
> >
> > I really appreciate your help.
> > Have a great day,
> >
> > Jorge

Is it also a GC?

General repl failures:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249256

Regards,
/Jimmy
--

> [...]
>> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171) I'm still unable to
>> > replicate
>> > DC's.
>> >
>> > Now the error when I force with "Replicate Now" says: "The following
>> > error
>> > occurred during the attempt to synchronize the domain controllers: The
>> > naming
>> > context is in the process of being removed or is not replicated from
>> > the
>> > specified server."
>> >
>> > Both DC's have a DNS as AD-integrated, the zone name is the domain
>> > name,
>> > there is no mismatched namespace (there was but I fixed using KB
>> > 257623,)
>> > SOA, NS, and A records are as the KB says it should be, and each DC is
>> > pointing to its own DNS. What am I missing that I can't still replicate

georgek

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

Yes Jimmy, both are GC. I'm trying to demote PDC_SBCC to run the network only
with the other DC, but I don't want to do it before a successfully AD
synchronization.