What AD Files Need Backed Up?

Joe

Recently, my NTDS.dit file got corrupted. I am backing up the System State
but I was not backing up the individual SYSVOL folder(s). The way our server
is setup is the AD log files are on one partition, and the AD data files are
on another partition. Do I need to backup System State, the SYSVOL folder on
one partition, and the SYSVOL folder on the other partition or is backing up
the System State the same thing?

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, my NTDS.dit file got corrupted. I am backing up the System
State
> but I was not backing up the individual SYSVOL folder(s). The way our
server
> is setup is the AD log files are on one partition, and the AD data files
are
> on another partition. Do I need to backup System State, the SYSVOL folder
on
> one partition, and the SYSVOL folder on the other partition or is backing
up
> the System State the same thing?

System State backs up a superset of AD, including SysVol
and critical services and drivers including DNS server and
Certificate server (among others) if they are running on the
machine.

The idea is that if you restored a machine, even through
re-install, the System State restore on top of that should
get the DC running again.

Better of course is to have a full backup but System State
should get the system running again.

It will NOT include ordinary applications, e.g., Program
Files, nor any sort of non-system data, nor big add on
services like Exchange or SQL server.

--
Herb Martin

Joe

Hi Herb,

I understand that it would be better to have a full backup and that
restoring the system state does not restore programs, my question is, if I am
backing up the system state, do I ALSO need to backup the individual SYSVOL
folders from their separate locations? (Log files are located on
c:\winnt\sysvol, and the data files are located on e:\winnt\sysvol)

> Hi Herb,
>
> I understand that it would be better to have a full backup and that
> restoring the system state does not restore programs, my question is, if I
am
> backing up the system state, do I ALSO need to backup the individual
SYSVOL
> folders from their separate locations? (Log files are located on
> c:\winnt\sysvol, and the data files are located on e:\winnt\sysvol)

No, I indicated that System State includes Sysvol in
the previous response.

--
Herb Martin