How to disable browser master election from Group Policy

Hi,

I'm having trouble to figure out how to prevent client PC's to be
browser master using Group Policy.

There are ways to do this from the registry or directry configuring the
network adapter settings. But I would like to create a GPO for my OU and
write down the registry setting to be "publish" by the GPO (Sorry for my
bad english. I'm native finnish speaker. I hope you can still follow my
thoughts...)

I've done a registry setting one time from the Group Policy but it was
before I upgraded my Windows 2000 Server Administrative Templates to be
compatible with Windows XP SP2. Now the settings are gone but the GPO is
still running.

A link to any website where this kind of situation is explained or
direct instructions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Petri Kuorikoski
3 answers Last reply
More about disable browser master election group policy

    "Petri Kuorikoski" <petri.kuorikoski@myrealbox.com.ala.spammaa.minua> wrote
    in message news:eX97#J44EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having trouble to figure out how to prevent client PC's to be
    > browser master using Group Policy.

    > There are ways to do this from the registry or directry configuring the
    > network adapter settings. But I would like to create a GPO for my OU and
    > write down the registry setting to be "publish" by the GPO (Sorry for my
    > bad english. I'm native finnish speaker. I hope you can still follow my
    > thoughts...)

    Sure, you will need to create an ADM file and import it.

    Administrative Templates are the portion of the GPO that
    changes the registry directly and thereby extends Group
    Policy.

    ADM files are a way of adding to Administrative Templates.\

    > I've done a registry setting one time from the Group Policy but it was
    > before I upgraded my Windows 2000 Server Administrative Templates to be
    > compatible with Windows XP SP2. Now the settings are gone but the GPO is
    > still running.
    >
    > A link to any website where this kind of situation is explained or
    > direct instructions are very welcome.

    BTW, removing a Win2000-class machines from
    browser election and being Browse Masters or Helpers
    seems like a poor idea.

    If these machines are winning the election, they probably
    need to do so.

    Thanks Herb,

    you have a point there. Maybe they really need to win the election in
    this case.

    Well, I'll give the Domain Controller computers an extra boost through
    registry.

    This haven't been a pain in the a**, but it sure is annoying to see
    error messages in the Event logs.

    Petri

    in message news:ukbAbAA5EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks Herb,
    >
    > you have a point there. Maybe they really need to win the election in
    > this case.
    >
    > Well, I'll give the Domain Controller computers an extra boost through
    > registry.

    DC's already have this.

    PDC (or emulator), DCs, Servers, Workstations

    Then versions etc.

    > This haven't been a pain in the a**, but it sure is annoying to see
    > error messages in the Event logs.

    What error messages?

    Many times people ask how to perform what they THINK
    will solve the problem rather than tell us what they really
    want or have going on.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Petri
    >

    > Herb Martin wrote:
    > > "Petri Kuorikoski" <petri.kuorikoski@myrealbox.com.ala.spammaa.minua>
    wrote
    > > in message news:eX97#J44EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>I'm having trouble to figure out how to prevent client PC's to be
    > >>browser master using Group Policy.
    > >

    > >>There are ways to do this from the registry or directry configuring the
    > >>network adapter settings. But I would like to create a GPO for my OU and
    > >>write down the registry setting to be "publish" by the GPO (Sorry for my
    > >>bad english. I'm native finnish speaker. I hope you can still follow my
    > >>thoughts...)
    > >

    > > Sure, you will need to create an ADM file and import it.
    > >
    > > Administrative Templates are the portion of the GPO that
    > > changes the registry directly and thereby extends Group
    > > Policy.
    > >
    > > ADM files are a way of adding to Administrative Templates.\
    > >

    > >>I've done a registry setting one time from the Group Policy but it was
    > >>before I upgraded my Windows 2000 Server Administrative Templates to be
    > >>compatible with Windows XP SP2. Now the settings are gone but the GPO is
    > >>still running.
    > >>
    > >>A link to any website where this kind of situation is explained or
    > >>direct instructions are very welcome.
    > >

    > > BTW, removing a Win2000-class machines from
    > > browser election and being Browse Masters or Helpers
    > > seems like a poor idea.
    > >
    > > If these machines are winning the election, they probably
    > > need to do so.

Policy Registry Browsers Windows