CD drives not working on new mobo/CPU.

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Hello..just installed an ABIT KR7A-RAID and AMD XP 1800 CPU.
Ive set up the following configuration: (WIN 98)
20GB IBM HDD on IDE 3
CD-ROM on IDE 2
Plextor CD burner and Seagate T-8000 on IDE 1
IDE 4 is EMPTY.

I haven't added my new 40GB HDD but when I do I want to put it on IDE 4 alone.

What would you suggest do get the D and E drives (CD drives) working as they should?

Is the Seagate compatible with this mobo?

I get error msgs saying that the E drive is not functional and cant launch any Cd's from either CD drive without receiving an error msg saying that install.exe or setup.exe
is e.g. "The run.exe is linked to missing export kernel32.dll Terminate process."
All peripherals wroked fine before adding the new mobo and CPU so it appears that my cabling to the mobo is wrong. Please look at the config above and advice how I can get the fuinctionality back for both my CD-ROM drive and my CD burner. Also, the drive letters for those drives are now reversed. CD-ROM used to be drive D and now registers as drive E. I will wait to add my new HDD until I get this problem solved.
Thank you.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Drive letters always change when you add something like another drive, it's normal. Should see mine, all weird with the drives and partitions.

I would try this...

primary IDE
master - seagate
slave - the new 40 gig drive (unless it's better than the seagate, then switch)

secondary IDE
master - plextor burner
slave - cd-rom

controller primary IDE
master - ibm drive

What I do is using the fastest drive for my OS (maxtor 30 gig 7200 ata100, 10/20), the slower one for storage (seagate 40 gig 5400 ata100, 20/20). Keep the burner on master.

Make sure you set the jumpers right, having the jumpers wrong on drives can make you miserable. Don't use the cable select option.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also make sure the IDE cables are right.

IDE cable
||------------------------||----------||
to mobo________________slave______master
red marking on IDE cables aligned to pin one on motherboard.

Did you format your drive? When changing motherboard it's the best to format, different setup will give you some funky errors if you have your OS drive for the old motherboard.

Can't think of anything else, good luck.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll have to figure out how to get your chipset drivers coppied to your hard drive, then run the settup for them and it should make your other drives available.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?