Domain level appending domain name at logon screen?

I have a few XP clients that when they go to logon to the domain, the domain
name is now appended with what looks like the domain level. For example, I
have the following domains:
Domain1 - Windows 2000 Native domain
Domain2 - Window NT 4 domain

At the logon screen for some clients they see the following:
User Name:
Password:
Domain: drop down box containing:
Domain1 (Windows 2000)
Domain2 (Windows NT 4)
Local1 (Local Computer)

Has anyone every seen this before? Its not happening on all XP clients,
only a handful.

Thanks,
Kyle
4 answers Last reply
More about domain level appending domain logon screen

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:15:05 -0800, "kj2n" <kj2n@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a few XP clients that when they go to logon to the domain, the domain
    >name is now appended with what looks like the domain level. For example, I
    >have the following domains:
    >Domain1 - Windows 2000 Native domain
    >Domain2 - Window NT 4 domain
    >
    >At the logon screen for some clients they see the following:
    >User Name:
    >Password:
    >Domain: drop down box containing:
    > Domain1 (Windows 2000)
    > Domain2 (Windows NT 4)
    > Local1 (Local Computer)
    >
    >Has anyone every seen this before? Its not happening on all XP clients,
    >only a handful.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Kyle

    This would happen if they are members of one domain and have a trust with the other.

    To avoid them seeing this, see tip 8750 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    Thanks for the replies. I know this is normal, but I was curious why the
    doman level was appended in brackets after the domain name. Its not that the
    user can see the domain list. On most clients, they will see:
    Domain1
    Domain2
    Local Computer (Local1)

    However on a couple machines they see:
    Domain1 (Windows 2000)
    Domain2 (Windows NT)
    Local Computer (Local1)

    Just curious if anyone knew why it appends (Windows 2000) or (Windows NT)
    after the domain name.

    Thanks.

    This is normal behaviour. That list is generated from the NetBT domain
    names in use on your network.

    What's the problem?

    You can hide that list by pressing the options button.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "kj2n" <kj2n@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I have a few XP clients that when they go to logon to the domain, the domain
    name is now appended with what looks like the domain level. For example, I
    have the following domains:
    Domain1 - Windows 2000 Native domain
    Domain2 - Window NT 4 domain

    At the logon screen for some clients they see the following:
    User Name:
    Password:
    Domain: drop down box containing:
    Domain1 (Windows 2000)
    Domain2 (Windows NT 4)
    Local1 (Local Computer)

    Has anyone every seen this before? Its not happening on all XP clients,
    only a handful.

    Thanks,
    Kyle

    What's the client?

    Maybe it's a new feature of XP SP2? ;-)

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "kj2n" wrote:

    > Thanks for the replies. I know this is normal, but I was curious why the
    > doman level was appended in brackets after the domain name. Its not that the
    > user can see the domain list. On most clients, they will see:
    > Domain1
    > Domain2
    > Local Computer (Local1)
    >
    > However on a couple machines they see:
    > Domain1 (Windows 2000)
    > Domain2 (Windows NT)
    > Local Computer (Local1)
    >
    > Just curious if anyone knew why it appends (Windows 2000) or (Windows NT)
    > after the domain name.
    >
    > Thanks.

Windows XP Domain Windows 2000 Domain Name Active Directory Windows