Domain level appending domain name at logon screen?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 16, 2004 2:15:05 PM

I have a few XP clients that when they go to logon to the domain, the domain
name is now appended with what looks like the domain level. For example, I
have the following domains:
Domain1 - Windows 2000 Native domain
Domain2 - Window NT 4 domain

At the logon screen for some clients they see the following:
User Name:
Password:
Domain: drop down box containing:
Domain1 (Windows 2000)
Domain2 (Windows NT 4)
Local1 (Local Computer)

Has anyone every seen this before? Its not happening on all XP clients,
only a handful.

Thanks,
Kyle
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 6:13:32 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:15:05 -0800, "kj2n" <kj2n@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a few XP clients that when they go to logon to the domain, the domain
>name is now appended with what looks like the domain level. For example, I
>have the following domains:
>Domain1 - Windows 2000 Native domain
>Domain2 - Window NT 4 domain
>
>At the logon screen for some clients they see the following:
>User Name:
>Password:
>Domain: drop down box containing:
> Domain1 (Windows 2000)
> Domain2 (Windows NT 4)
> Local1 (Local Computer)
>
>Has anyone every seen this before? Its not happening on all XP clients,
>only a handful.
>
>Thanks,
>Kyle

This would happen if they are members of one domain and have a trust with the other.

To avoid them seeing this, see tip 8750 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 6:13:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I know this is normal, but I was curious why the
doman level was appended in brackets after the domain name. Its not that the
user can see the domain list. On most clients, they will see:
Domain1
Domain2
Local Computer (Local1)

However on a couple machines they see:
Domain1 (Windows 2000)
Domain2 (Windows NT)
Local Computer (Local1)

Just curious if anyone knew why it appends (Windows 2000) or (Windows NT)
after the domain name.

Thanks.
December 16, 2004 10:58:21 PM

This is normal behaviour. That list is generated from the NetBT domain
names in use on your network.

What's the problem?

You can hide that list by pressing the options button.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"kj2n" <kj2n@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have a few XP clients that when they go to logon to the domain, the domain
name is now appended with what looks like the domain level. For example, I
have the following domains:
Domain1 - Windows 2000 Native domain
Domain2 - Window NT 4 domain

At the logon screen for some clients they see the following:
User Name:
Password:
Domain: drop down box containing:
Domain1 (Windows 2000)
Domain2 (Windows NT 4)
Local1 (Local Computer)

Has anyone every seen this before? Its not happening on all XP clients,
only a handful.

Thanks,
Kyle
Anonymous