AD Replication through a firewall - Can replication be one..

Firstly, that's not much of a question if you don't mind me saying so.

Secondly, why? What are you trying to achieve?

Give us some more info. and I'm sure we'll be able to help.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"ihadhar" <ihadhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
ihh

Hi Paul, thanks for responding, sorry i've been gone over the holidays.
Anyway, my question is related to what is the recommended practice for
handling access to dmz servers from internal clients. Basically, I have two
requests. One is to either create a public dmz active directory with a trust
to the internal domain or allow a domain controller from the inside to reside
in the public dmz. I am uncomfortable with both and have searched high and
low for information from others as to what would be the best way to allow our
users access to servers residing in the public dmz. Do you have any
suggestions or best practices. Thanks. ih

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Firstly, that's not much of a question if you don't mind me saying so.
>
> Secondly, why? What are you trying to achieve?
>
> Give us some more info. and I'm sure we'll be able to help.
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "ihadhar" <ihadhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ihh

This does work though it is a bit labor intensive. You should also consider
securing/ signing all replication traffic if you are passing it into a DMZ.

Take a look at the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technologies/activedirectory/deploy/confeat/adrepfir.mspx

That said, what are you trying to do? Authenticate a web page? OWA? You may
have a better option like LDAP or RADIUS (IAS).
--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"ihh" <ihh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Paul, thanks for responding, sorry i've been gone over the holidays.
> Anyway, my question is related to what is the recommended practice for
> handling access to dmz servers from internal clients. Basically, I have
two
> requests. One is to either create a public dmz active directory with a
trust
> to the internal domain or allow a domain controller from the inside to
reside
> in the public dmz. I am uncomfortable with both and have searched high
and
> low for information from others as to what would be the best way to allow
our
> users access to servers residing in the public dmz. Do you have any
> suggestions or best practices. Thanks. ih
>
> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > Firstly, that's not much of a question if you don't mind me saying so.
> >
> > Secondly, why? What are you trying to achieve?
> >
> > Give us some more info. and I'm sure we'll be able to help.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Paul Williams
> >
> > http://www.msresource.net
> > http://forums.msresource.net
> >

> > "ihadhar" <ihadhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ihh

Kieran

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002

Alternatively,

You could have an two separate forests.

It's the best security option then do a scheduled selective replication from
internal to external for accounts - perhaps even script it.

It's what i'd do - keep your internal and external completely separate,
though this may depend on what your requirements are - what do you exactly
what to do?

How were you planning on sharing the data anyway? TS, WebDAV, OWA?